Menu

What say you on use of the word drownded?

"We hear occasionally from the lips of the uneducated drownded as the past tense of drown, itself frequently pronounced by the same persons as drownd. We properly consider its use as an evidence of illiteracy."

However, check out this interesting history of the word:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2yJusP0vrdgC&pg=PA373&lpg=PA373&dq=drownded+dictionary&source=web&ots=nYsSjiDZY4&sig=usontqvbLcK_6ZAjRY4xC8z1ZXM&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result

:)

Ellen

from "The Standard of Usage in English" by Thomas Raynesford Lounsbury, 1907 "We hear occasionally from the lips of the uneducated drownded as the past tense of drown, itself frequently pronounced by the same persons as drownd. We properly consider its use as an evidence of illiteracy."

:lol: It has, evidently, not finished its waning in over a century. However, 102 years later, I still properly consider its use as an evidence of illiteracy. :D

Didn't Dickens used "drownded" as a play on "drowned dead"?

Yes! I knew I'd read it recently. Mr Peggotty says it in David Copperfield Chapter 40

I'll tell you, Mas'r Davy,' he said, - 'wheer all I've been, and what-all we've heerd. I've been fur, and we've heerd little; but I'll tell you!'

I rang the bell for something hot to drink. He would have nothing stronger than ale; and while it was being brought, and being warmed at the fire, he sat thinking. There was a fine, massive gravity in his face, I did not venture to disturb.

'When she was a child,' he said, lifting up his head soon after we were left alone, 'she used to talk to me a deal about the sea, and about them coasts where the sea got to be dark blue, and to lay a-shining and a-shining in the sun. I thowt, odd times, as her father being drownded made her think on it so much. I doen't know, you see, but maybe she believed - or hoped - he had drifted out to them parts, where the flowers is always a-blowing, and the country bright.'

As Laura says, it is dialect.

I thowt, odd times, as her father being drownded made her think on it so much. I doen't know, you see, but maybe she believed - or hoped - he had drifted out to them parts, where the flowers is always a-blowing, and the country bright.'

As Laura says, it is dialect.

but I would say it's still grammatically incorrect. Mark Twain made frequent use of dialect in his writing, although it was grammatically incorrect. Does that make sense? We often see this in literature, and it captures the flavor and color of the local speech, but it still would not be grammatically correct.

Hope this makes sense. Just my .02 worth!

but I would say it's still grammatically incorrect. Mark Twain made frequent use of dialect in his writing, although it was grammatically incorrect. Does that make sense? We often see this in literature, and it captures the flavor and color of the local speech, but it still would not be grammatically correct.

Hope this makes sense. Just my .02 worth!

Who cares! If you're using an incorrect form in an informed manner, for punch or color or whatever - go for it! If you're writing a formal essay, best stick with "drowned."

Who cares! If you're using an incorrect form in an informed manner, for punch or color or whatever - go for it! If you're writing a formal essay, best stick with "drowned."

Time and place ;)

I couldn't use it, because I would crack myself up, but as color, in the right time and place, sure.

Time and place ;)

I couldn't use it, because I would crack myself up, but as color, in the right time and place, sure.

I would crack up, too.

This reminds me of our running Dickens joke here, from that recurring line in David Copperfield, "Barkis is willing." One day my husband called, and was frantic, in a hurry, and said only to my son, who answered the phone, "Put your mother on the line." My son blinked, and holding the phone to his chest said in a stage whisper, "Sounds like Barkis changed his mind," and then handed me the phone.