Menu

Private colleges near mountains....

OK, ds is still interested in going to college near wilderness/mountains (we took him to Yosemite over the summer - he has also camped at Isle Royale with Scouts and been to Yellowstone) and since out-of-state tuition should he get into University of Colorado is high, he wants to find private colleges as well to look at (more likely to provide financial aid). Ideas????

This is a fairly new college with a focus on the outdoors and an equestrian program. Compared to similar private colleges, this one has low tuition (probably because it is newer). I have heard they are generous with scholarships (although who knows with the economy), and they have rigorous academics with a classical focus.

http://www.wyomingcatholiccollege.com/OutdoorAdventures/OutdoorAdventuresHome/tabid/88/Default.aspx

Questions --

Rockies or Appalachians? (I know there are other mountains -- but would you prefer east or west of the Mississippi?)

Does not matter - this is an Illinois-bred kid so ANY mountains would be a big deal to him ;)

Small or large?

Small is better for this introvert.

Christian or non? He would prefer non (we are Catholic - but not very ;) )

Care if it's in the South or not?

Does not matter.

I had a friend who graduated from David and Elkins College in Elkins, WV. He was able to go on from there and get a Masters Degree from Johns Hopkins University and a Divinity degree from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, MO. His hobby at the time was rock climbing so that influenced his undergraduate school decision greatly as there are many excellent rock climbing venues in WV.

I just read a night or two ago about Roane Mountain (at least I think that's the correct name - I can look it up when I get home). It's in eastern Kentucky, somewhere, in the mountains and they evidently really try to embrace an outdoor lifestyle for the benefit of all their students. I'd never heard of it before and their programming sounded interesting to me. Apparently, they field a pretty good mountain bike team(?), at least for women.... Anyway, it's small, private, liberal arts and sounds like it might have a pretty good reputation. It's never been on my radar screen before now....

I just read a night or two ago about Roane Mountain (at least I think that's the correct name - I can look it up when I get home). It's in eastern Kentucky, somewhere, in the mountains and they evidently really try to embrace an outdoor lifestyle for the benefit of all their students. I'd never heard of it before and their programming sounded interesting to me. Apparently, they field a pretty good mountain bike team(?), at least for women.... Anyway, it's small, private, liberal arts and sounds like it might have a pretty good reputation. It's never been on my radar screen before now....

Not the original poster, but I'm also very interested in these types of schools... I couldn't find a school by that name, so I'd be very interested to see a link to the school, or perhaps the correct name.

Thanks!

Not the original poster, but I'm also very interested in these types of schools... I couldn't find a school by that name, so I'd be very interested to see a link to the school, or perhaps the correct name.

Thanks!

Me, too - I searched College Board for all colleges in Kentucky and came up with nothing that sounds like this one.