Menu

Octoplets

My first attempt at adding a link.....

Thought this was amazing. She plans to breastfeed all of them.:001_huh: I can't even begin to imagine how.:lol:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-me-octuplets27-2009jan27,0,840621.story

I just don't think that is physically possible unless she is part Holstein.:lol:

I'm guessing the bulk of their diet would be supplemented right?

It is wonderful that they all came out "kicking and screaming"!!

HOLY COW!!!!!!!

:w00t:

She carried octoplets to 31 weeks?! How is that even possible? The article said they are 9 weeks early, so that is 31 weeks, right? I remember feeling huge with one baby at that far along. That is amazing.

I certainly hope they *will* get some help, a lot of it. It isn't humanely possible to care for 8 newborns (especially special needs newborns) by yourself. They will need help, and I imagine financial help, too. If she does breastfeed, that means she pretty much will do nothing else for the next year. I know someone who nursed triplets, and she didn't leave the house until they were 5 months- she couldn't. A baby was always eating!

God Bless them. (And I'll admit, a tiny part of me is saying thank goodness its not me!!!)

I"m curious on the part that they aren't saying drugs were used - i'm sure they had to be - but then that she didn't come into medical care until she was 12 weeks.

I guess that lends itself to perhaps getting fert treatments across the border?

Anyway, hopefully they are left in peace if they want it, and have family and friends ready to help out.

WOW! I can see her feeding them breastmilk if she is pumping and eating oatmeal by the gallon to keep her production up :) What an amazing story, I will be interesting to read in the next 72 hours if they have remained stable, and how they are doing. I couldn't image carrying 8 babies to 31 weeks. I ended up with my water breaking with singltons at 35 weeks 3 TIMES! I can barely carry a singleton as long as she carried her 8.

I"m curious on the part that they aren't saying drugs were used - i'm sure they had to be - but then that she didn't come into medical care until she was 12 weeks.

I guess that lends itself to perhaps getting fert treatments across the border?

Anyway, hopefully they are left in peace if they want it, and have family and friends ready to help out.

I don't believe the 1967 octuplets (who subsequently died) were conceived with fertility drugs...

Can you imagine the shock?! The Dilley sextuplets were supposed to be "only 5" until the c-section was supposedly finished and then Baby F was born. It's very challenging to discern so many babies in utero. Anything beyond triplets is difficult to verify without recounting the same baby.

Hopefully they will receive gifts of diapers and formula for the first year. It's painfully expensive. It might not be so forthcoming as the family doesn't want to face fertility drug questions. Hopefully the babies will thrive and family can survive what will be a challenging several years.