Menu

What did you think of Breaking Dawn?

Another Twilight thread by me. LOL I am just curious...I read a lot of reviews of Breaking Dawn last night and there are so many people who were unhappy with the book. How did you feel about it? Did you like the "perfect" ending for Bella, Jacob, and Edward, or did you think it made the whole story lose it's captivation that had held us all through Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse?

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. I mean, although I think Harry Potter (Year 7) could have been shortened by about 200 pages and been much better, the "happy ending" was not without tragedy. There was a trade for the good triumphing over evil. We lost Sirius in year 5, then we lost Albus in year 6, and worst of all, we lost FRED (SOB!) in book 7 - along with Tonks and Lupin. The tragedy involved made it all seem more...real. In Breaking Dawn, it is just "yay, yippee, oh goodie" but never any true sacrifice on Bella's part. She reacts like an 18 year old..."I will follow you anywhere...I don't care to lose my soul if that is what happens....." and in the end, she gets EVERYTHING she wants. Not one thing left disturbed. She keeps her family, keeps her man, keeps Jacob whom she was always wishing had been her brother or a family member (an he one day will be...), she gets a child (slap Rosalie in the face, would ya? LOL), she gets 2 extra "gifts" as a vampire whereas most are lucky to have ONE, she is suddenly a mature vampire and never has to be a newborn. I mean, good grief! I like happy endings, but perhaps this one was just a bit...tooo....happy! It definitely lost the wonder and excitement that the other three books had for me. It lost that innocent, passionate amazing love... And I was so sad at the way Bella was changed. I was invisioning something like at prom in Twilight with Edward leaning to her neck, asking if she is ready...a moment alone. Not while blood was shooting from her as she gave birth. EEk.

What says the hive?

Edited by Tree House Academy

Even the author said the true ending would have been all of them destroyed, the battle is drawn out so when I finally read the ending, I was satisfied. A little fantasy, where it works out for the heroine isn't really such a bad thing is it? Knowing that Meyer would have killed them off made me hope that there will be future books about Edward and Bella or least Resmee (I can't remember for sure if that's the name). I read all 4 books in about 3 days and walked away satisified.

I probably shouldn't comment because I didn't actually read beyond the first book in the Twilight series. However, I did read several detailed synopses online and knew that I would not want to read further in the series. I think one thing that you mentioned is a very harmful theme in the Twilight series, especially to young girls... that Bella is willing to give up her life and her family and any type of faith (i.e. when she says that being with Edward is the only heaven she ever will need) and basically everything she has to be with a man. And then, in the end, it all works out pretty perfectly for her. How many women can say that in real life? When you go off with a person who causes you to lose everything, and you go against everything you were raised with, just out of sheer passion... I don't think there are many happy endings in those situations.

For that reason, as well as others, I think reading Twilight is a poor choice for young girls. It plays directly to the weaknesses that so many girls have at those ages, in desiring a relationship with a boy so badly that they will give up everything to have him. It makes me truly concerned to hear so many of the pre-teen girls who go to our homeschool co-op obsessed with this series; carrying the books, writing "I love Edward" on the chalkboards, wearing shirts with the images, talking about it with one another, etc. At the very least, I hope their parents are talking to them about the messages in the book and talking about whether they align with their family's values.

You know, I didn't have a problem with the ending. I felt like the second and third books (and the first half of the fourth book) were so full of Bella suffering, whining, feeling inadequate, etc. I thought it was SUCH a nice change that once she became a vampire, she finally found something she was good at doing, that she finally felt strong, and able to contribute to and help protect her family. She was no longer the weak one. I loved that and I think I would have been upset if Bella didn't get to keep that new-found happiness.

There was one point in the book where I thought for sure that Stephenie was going to kill off Bella and Edward. I think it was during the last fight scene, a comment was made that made me gasp, but then nothing really ever came of it. I thought it could have been a cool way to end the book, and it would have shown that the vampires really DID have souls after all.

I didn't like the 3rd book at all, the 4th was so-so.

I also would not let my kids read it as the attitude and consequences of her behavior is so far from realistic and healthy that it's not worth contemplating. (not talking aobut the whole vampire thing, but the general behavior towards education, love, famiy relationships, and so forth.)

I thought the 3rd was the worse and would have been happy seeing it never written.

At least in the 4th book she is pro-life for the unborn.:D

I think the biggest problem with the 4th book is the characters didn't continue to be developed. They went kind of dull.

I thought the end was a bit blunt and rushed. Maybe she's planning a 5th book?:confused:

You know, I didn't have a problem with the ending. I felt like the second and third books (and the first half of the fourth book) were so full of Bella suffering, whining, feeling inadequate, etc. I thought it was SUCH a nice change that once she became a vampire, she finally found something she was good at doing, that she finally felt strong, and able to contribute to and help protect her family. She was no longer the weak one. I loved that and I think I would have been upset if Bella didn't get to keep that new-found happiness.

:iagree: I just wish her new character/situation had been more developed, I guess. Can't think how else to explain it.

I probably shouldn't comment because I didn't actually read beyond the first book in the Twilight series. However, I did read several detailed synopses online and knew that I would not want to read further in the series. I think one thing that you mentioned is a very harmful theme in the Twilight series, especially to young girls... that Bella is willing to give up her life and her family and any type of faith (i.e. when she says that being with Edward is the only heaven she ever will need) and basically everything she has to be with a man. And then, in the end, it all works out pretty perfectly for her. How many women can say that in real life? When you go off with a person who causes you to lose everything, and you go against everything you were raised with, just out of sheer passion... I don't think there are many happy endings in those situations.

For that reason, as well as others, I think reading Twilight is a poor choice for young girls. It plays directly to the weaknesses that so many girls have at those ages, in desiring a relationship with a boy so badly that they will give up everything to have him. It makes me truly concerned to hear so many of the pre-teen girls who go to our homeschool co-op obsessed with this series; carrying the books, writing "I love Edward" on the chalkboards, wearing shirts with the images, talking about it with one another, etc. At the very least, I hope their parents are talking to them about the messages in the book and talking about whether they align with their family's values.

I agree. What I found interesting in Twilight was Edward's refusual to "turn" Bella because he didn't want her condenmed to an eternity outside of nature or outside of God. I'm pretty sure that Edward, being an early 20th century dude, believes in God. Bella, being an early 21st century teen, is ambivalent to atheist. Carlise is the key; he believes that vampires are also God's creatures. That's why he chooses a moral life. Edward chooses a moral life, but he doesn't believe vampires are part of God's domain.

While this theme is interesting, it's not fully fleshed out by Meyers. Perhaps she never intended it as a theme, and I'm reading more into the story than was intended. The later books were a big disappointment. I don't think Meyers knew how to resolve this tension and that's why they turned into more typical romance novels. But, I do think this tension is the compelling aspect that makes the novel so appealing to so many. It's an unsolvable dilemma, sorta like Romeo and Juliet.

:001_smile:

To have one man in your entire lifetime who loves you to the ends of the earth is possible for some...to have TWO and you have to pick, but then then one you turn down still loves you anyway - impossible.

If I had a teenaged daughter, I would not let her anywhere near the Twilight series (if I could help it). I was already similar to Bella as a teenager. I had such a silly sense of what love and "forever" were and I surely would have never needed a book like Twilight urging me on. :(

I liked the books, but they aren't nearly as well written as, say, Harry Potter. Meyer does not weave and interweave the lives of her characters and does not give so many small details in earlier books that are picked up in later ones. I think J.K. Rowling is a far better writer in general, though.

I read on her website that she had started a 5th book - essentially re-telling "Twilight" from Edward's first person perspective instead of Bella's. Then, apparently she gave out some copies to friends as previews (unfinished copies) and somehow, her work got on the internet. She decided to indefinitely postpone the 5th book, but she did link to the 200 something pages that was leaked to the internet. It was honestly awful. It took 260 odd pages of Edward's thoughts to get literally NO WHERE - It was a bore to read.

I read on her website that she had started a 5th book - essentially re-telling "Twilight" from Edward's first person perspective instead of Bella's. Then, apparently she gave out some copies to friends as previews (unfinished copies) and somehow, her work got on the internet. She decided to indefinitely postpone the 5th book, but she did link to the 200 something pages that was leaked to the internet. It was honestly awful. It took 260 odd pages of Edward's thoughts to get literally NO WHERE - It was a bore to read.

OK yes, it's not great. But it's a rough draft. A rough draft that was *years* away from being published. It wasn't supposed to be great or well-written.

Call me shallow but with all the negative, depressing stuff that is going on in the world right now...a happily ever after ending was right up my alley. The odds that they would have a happy ending were stacked against them and if they didn't end up together in the end I would have burned the books!

Oh, and I wouldn't let a young teenage girl read them either.

Call me shallow but with all the negative, depressing stuff that is going on in the world right now...a happily ever after ending was right up my alley. The odds that they would have a happy ending were stacked against them and if they didn't end up together in the end I would have burned the books!

:lol::iagree:

I only have a second - but I'll say that I didn't like Breaking Dawn at all. Not at all. :confused: I didn't like the treatment of the Jacob character, didn't like the birth scene at all, didn't like the battle scene (battle scene? Can it even be called that? lol).

I think there's a great way to have a "happily ever after" for your main characters, and still keep things plausible. Yes, it's a fantasy land, but seriously - many fantasy writers have to create the rules of their "world" and stick to it. This series just seemed to end waaay out in left field from where the other 3 books were leading.

I have the first 3 on my bookshelf. The 4th is out in my garage somewhere (or I might have already donated it) - I'm going to let the story end at the end of the 3rd book. :D

To have one man in your entire lifetime who loves you to the ends of the earth is possible for some...to have TWO and you have to pick, but then then one you turn down still loves you anyway - impossible.

If I had a teenaged daughter, I would not let her anywhere near the Twilight series (if I could help it). I was already similar to Bella as a teenager. I had such a silly sense of what love and "forever" were and I surely would have never needed a book like Twilight urging me on. :(

I liked the books, but they aren't nearly as well written as, say, Harry Potter. Meyer does not weave and interweave the lives of her characters and does not give so many small details in earlier books that are picked up in later ones. I think J.K. Rowling is a far better writer in general, though.

Ok. I actually liked the "5th book". I'm just an Edward fan, I guess. :001_smile:

I liked books 1 and 2. 3 was bad and 4 started out OK, but fell apart mid-way through. I don't think it is any worse than JK Rowling, but while I liked her books as 'kids books' I never considered her an adult novelist. Nor is SM, but I like her books more.

Regarding letting your teen read them: my dd did read these books. I had no idea what was in them (bad mom!) when she did. But, now that I've read them, we've talked a lot about them. Like how goofy Bella is. My dd read the first book when she was in 7th grade. That's a very impressionable age! But, she has never had any weird boy issues (not even a steady boyfriend) and she's an independent young lady (now 15) who thinks for herself. So my conclusion.... she's a lot like me. She can read a book (or watch a movie) and enjoy it and not have to live it out. She sees how stupid Edward's mooning is but goodness, what girl can't at least appreciate that? ;) And we both hate Bella's character.

Margaret

E.T.A. Maybe one reason dd didn't take the books too seriously is that she reads *a lot*. She's read everything from Hemmingway to Shakespeare to Stephen King. She reads a book a day on average.

My best friend let her 10 year old read it. Her child LOVED it, but she is very mature for her age and an excellent reader (obviously). At that age, her child saw it similar to a fairy tale and didn't take it very seriously. The kissing scenes and later the sex scenes did not impact her at all. The "I'll die for you" concept was lost on her as well.

Now, I am not saying *I* would let *my* 10 year old read it (never!) but she did and her child was fine with it. It totally depends on the child, I assume. I just remember being 17-18 and really thinking the "I'd die for you! I'll love you forever" stuff and this book would have been BAD for me then. Not to mention, the expectation I would have had after reading it that I would one day find someone like Edward or Jacob who loved me to the ends of the earth and until I found that, there was nothing else. Eek! I can just see so many issues this book could have caused when I was that age. But again, that was just ME and how I thought at 17-18.

My best friend let her 10 year old read it. Her child LOVED it, but she is very mature for her age and an excellent reader (obviously). At that age, her child saw it similar to a fairy tale and didn't take it very seriously. The kissing scenes and later the sex scenes did not impact her at all. The "I'll die for you" concept was lost on her as well.

Now, I am not saying *I* would let *my* 10 year old read it (never!) but she did and her child was fine with it. It totally depends on the child, I assume. I just remember being 17-18 and really thinking the "I'd die for you! I'll love you forever" stuff and this book would have been BAD for me then. Not to mention, the expectation I would have had after reading it that I would one day find someone like Edward or Jacob who loved me to the ends of the earth and until I found that, there was nothing else. Eek! I can just see so many issues this book could have caused when I was that age. But again, that was just ME and how I thought at 17-18.

Right. I think I might have been really impacted by it as a kid, but I sort of lived in la la land anyway. And maybe I'm giving my dd more credit than she deserves-- wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not picking on you, but two things just to mind when I read this post: One, how can anyone *know* that kissing scenes and sex scenes did not impact a child at all? What does that mean exactly? It's one thing to say that certain content didn't *bother* a person.. it's another to say that it had no impact. Usually the impact of that sort of thing isn't something you can *see,* kwim? I couldn't say with certainty that a particular book or movie had absolutely not impact on my children, simply because I didn't observe a certain reaction in them.

The second thing is, is more mature material appropriate for young children if it does go over their heads? (Or it appears to go over their heads?) Sensuality is one of the very most prominent themes in the Twilight series.. and if a reader missed the "I'll die for you" concept, then I don't think that person understood much of the story at all. I have to say that imo, it's not wise to give a child a mature-themed book, hoping that the child will miss the central themes of the book.

I'm not picking on you, but two things just to mind when I read this post: One, how can anyone *know* that kissing scenes and sex scenes did not impact a child at all? What does that mean exactly? It's one thing to say that certain content didn't *bother* a person.. it's another to say that it had no impact. Usually the impact of that sort of thing isn't something you can *see,* kwim? I couldn't say with certainty that a particular book or movie had absolutely not impact on my children, simply because I didn't observe a certain reaction in them.

The second thing is, is more mature material appropriate for young children if it does go over their heads? (Or it appears to go over their heads?) Sensuality is one of the very most prominent themes in the Twilight series.. and if a reader missed the "I'll die for you" concept, then I don't think that person understood much of the story at all. I have to say that imo, it's not wise to give a child a mature-themed book, hoping that the child will miss the central themes of the book.

Oh, I totally agree with you. I would NEVER give my child the book to read - be she 10 or 18. I whole-heartedly agree. I was only posting my friend's reaction to her daughter reading them. I do feel that she had to have *missed* a lot of the whole story...but today I was talking with my friend who was asking her daughter questions about the book and she honestly didn't miss a THING. I was shocked and a bit annoyed with my friend once I realized this. But, no, I agree with you. The scenes *seemed* to have no impact on her, but you are right, who knows for sure?? :( Sad.

Honestly, I think this series should not be read by anyone who has not experienced a bit of life - love and loss, happiness and sadness, the intense emotions of first love and early love and how it matures into something less exciting but still very amazing. For me, it brought back memories of my husband and the words we once said to each other. That was a nice thing!

Breaking Dawn has to be one of the most unrealistic portrayals of motherhood I have ever seen. Bella is almost never shown actually with her baby. And her baby doesn't act like a baby. Infants are something of a mystery. As a parent, you have to invest a lot of yourself to understand what the baby needs and wants at any given moment, and the care and feeding of an infant is totally consuming in those early days.

Bella has none of that. In fact, if I didn't know better, I would assume that this was a view of motherhood written by a teenager. A young teenager with parents who meet her every need.

Have you all noticed the complete insanity over the book? I mean, grown married women who are obsessed with the book and the characters! I have a friend who is planning a trip to Forks and decorating her house from the books! My Lord! What in the world makes these books THAT appealing? Does she think she will run into the Cullen clan if she goes there? Perhaps an MRI of SM's brain would get her to the Cullens...otherwise they are just characters in a BOOK! I admit, when I read the series, I sat down and devoured it whole...one book after the other - and totally escaped from reality while I did so. When I finished, I was sad. Sad it was over, sad it didn't end like I had hoped, just sad. For a few DAYS which is absurd...but I recall feeling similar after I read the HP series too. I talked with a therapist once about that and he was telling me that it is the escape from reality you get when you read like that for days and become part of those fictitious worlds only to be thrown back out in reality when it is over. It made a lot of sense. However, it appears that many do not go so easily back to reality. It really bothers me - especially where teens are concerned (even though I am seeing more of it in the over 29 range than in the younger people). Very freaky stuff there, IMO.

Edited by Tree House Academy

Have you all noticed the complete insanity over the book? I mean, grown married women who are obsessed with the book and the characters! I have a friend who is planning a trip to Forks and decorating her house from the books! My Lord! What in the world makes these books THAT appealing? Does she think she will run into the Cullen clan if she goes there? Perhaps an MRI of SM's brain would get her to the Cullens...otherwise they are just characters in a BOOK! I admit, when I read the series, I sat down and devoured it whole...one book after the other - and totally escaped from reality while I did so. When I finished, I was sad. Sad it was over, sad it didn't end like I had hoped, just sad. For a few DAYS which is absurd...but I recall feeling similar after I read the HP series too. I talked with a therapist once about that and he was telling me that it is the escape from reality you get when you read like that for days and become part of those fictitious worlds only to be thrown back out in reality when it is over. It made a lot of sense. However, it appears that many do not go so easily back to reality. It really bothers me - especially where teens are concerned (even though I am seeing more of it in the over 29 range than in the younger people). Very freaky stuff there, IMO.

You know, the more I've thought about this series, read about it, and talked with some young girls about it, the more troubled I feel. In line with what you've said here, I just read a quote from a 17 year old who said, "Couldn't stop crying for 2 days after I finished the last book, it was just so emotional." That kind of emotional response suggests more than just reading a good story, imo. Because of the themes involved, I really think these books can be overwhelming for young people.

I saw it again at co-op on Monday-- 6th grade girls talking about this series constantly. Four or five of the youth group girls at our church have read them as well. There was an uproar in the Christian community over the Harry Potter books, but those did not bother me. I didn't think that they presented anything that would be a real problem for kids or young people. This series does concern me. It's not even the vampire aspect that I think is most dangerous-- it's the view of relationships and the worldview that it presents.

I just finished this one last night(read all 4 in 3 days). I thought it was anticlimatic. That fight scene kept building and building and then it was like "oops silly us, we'll just go now" was a pite of a let down. I really enjoyed the series. I figured out while reading it why this series sucked me in as much as the outlander series did, and it was due to the kind of love that Edward had for Bella. That strong, masculine, absolutely devoted and always protective character, it's like Jamie with Claire in Outlander. While a love like that is likely to never be found in the real world, the whole thing sucks you in anyway. That's the beauty of fantasy.

My biggest complaint next to the fight scene being a let down was Renesmee's name, I hate that name lol

That strong, masculine, absolutely devoted and always protective character, it's like Jamie with Claire in Outlander.

Speaking of _Outlander_..... I just finished listening to it on CD. Good Maude. The last few minutes are more explicit than I had recalled from the first go around. It's *fabulous*. Wow. Suddenly, the room is feeling rather warm.:tongue_smilie:

k

Loved the 1st, liked the ending of the 2nd. Hated the 3rd and read the 4th for closure, as well.

I was SO sick of Bella's character. I hated the Jacob/Edward/Bella triangle and how it worked out. (But at least she did end up with Edward.) I really don't like when women have male best friends. Glad it's over with.

It was actually my favorite of the four, but you are right about it being too perfect. I still enjoyed it. :)

I couldn't believe my eyes when poor Fred died in HP 7. Losing Lupin and Tonks was another blow. I'll admit that I cried. :tongue_smilie:

I also cried as Harry - brave though just so precious inside and out - rubbed the stone before he went into the forest to face Voldemort, resulting in, what he had already decided, would be his death. As James, Lily, Lupin, and Sirius came to him one more and he asked, "Does it hurt?" I just cried - and as he asked them. "will you go with me?" This scared little boy resurfaced - so touched and torn by what he had experienced, and in what he thought would be his last moment, he asked them to basically hold his hand. It was so very touching. As Percy came through the door, as he kissed Ginny before they set off on the run, as Fred lay on the floor - oh my, how I had grown to love these characters. Even as Harry let Hedwig go, it broke my heart.