Menu

As many are planning their next year, some thoughts

rafiki

I did the same thing last year, either shortly before or shortly after the boards changed to this format. My husband asked me to limit my computer time, especially my time on the WTM boards (really the only place I spend so much time). I was a bit put off, because all my time on this forum was, in my opinion, very well spent, with research, planning, etc. I would copy/paste great ideas for curriculum or methods, or whatever, onto word documents, and I had them all categorized. They were very valuable to me. Recently all that information was totally lost when one of the kids did something to the computer.

But at my husband's request I did take a good look at the amount of time I was spending, and I did cut it way down.

So much so, that, sometimes I don't visit these boards for a few weeks at a time; other times I will visit briefly a few times a week.

Mostly I'm on the K-8 board, and less often on the High School and Special Needs boards.

I still regard the info and counsel here very valuable, it's just that I can't spend that much time any more.

I realize dh was right, I was on here way too much.

And it's okay.

So, Michele, great for you for prioritizing so well, your thoughts are good ones, and I hope you keep it up!!

Your post was encouraging to me!

Oh, I think I will copy and paste what you said onto a document...... ;)

Blessings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's sobering and encouraging at the same time.

I think the boards can be dangerous in the "curriculum hopping/junkie" aspect and we have to govern ourselves accordingly. Limiting time on the p.c. is critical.

I have a friend who holds me accountable in this area and I do the same for her. We temper each other's excitement when we feel drawn to drop what we're doing and look at greener grass. That has been vital in my survival as a homeschool mama.

I've also come to realize over the years that what works for some doesn't necessarily work for others. Simple in theory, but when you hear people raving about something, it's easy to get sucked in. I find that if I make myself wait to buy something that I think the boys would really like or need, I often will end up not purchasing it...a sort of "lay-a-way" for my impulses.;)

This is a good post. . . Especially about the not planning to far in advance. I got caught in that net once upon a time, and it was a hard bird to chew when I discovered that what I had planned would simply not work for my child.

I just changed to a Jan-Jan year. Man, are my reviewers going to have fits!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I must confess that I spend far too much time on the computer. I think I may try limiting my time to the amount I allow my children. This, I'm sure, will prove to be difficult.

Information is so easy to come by with the age of the internet and the computer. I like knowing what is "out there" in the curriculum world and I enjoy learning from all of the bright minds on this site. Perhaps I should realize that I can my time could be better spent reading, delving back into the hobbies I love, or having fun with my family.

"You spend more time researching school than you actually do teaching it!" :tongue_smilie:

Please note I'm responding to the quote and neither to the person quoted or the person being spoken to. It's an "observation".

Just out of curiosity, those who write non-fiction books (like SWB's history series) don't they spend more time researching than writing?

It makes sense to me that a person would spend more time researching than teaching. It also makes sense to me that most people wouldn't think about it given that schools have curricula "provided" for them. And the curricula providers do all the research, and then the shool board researches the curricula providers, and their budget, and then provide the teachers with the material.

I consider research a necessary and vital part of my job as homeschool mom. But, as so many others have mentioned, there's a balance to be reached. Yet, that balance is very "personal" and no one else can tell you what that balance is for you.

Please note I'm responding to the quote and neither to the person quoted or the person being spoken to. It's an "observation".

Just out of curiosity, those who write non-fiction books (like SWB's history series) don't they spend more time researching than writing?

It makes sense to me that a person would spend more time researching than teaching. It also makes sense to me that most people wouldn't think about it given that schools have curricula "provided" for them. And the curricula providers do all the research, and then the shool board researches the curricula providers, and their budget, and then provide the teachers with the material.

I consider research a necessary and vital part of my job as homeschool mom. But, as so many others have mentioned, there's a balance to be reached. Yet, that balance is very "personal" and no one else can tell you what that balance is for you.

Honestly, that makes a lot of sense and alleviates some of my guilt. My dh has said the very same thing when my boys have complained that I'm on the computer "too much". He tells them that mommy isn't playing games, but earnestly searching for curricula, books, ideas etc... that are tailored just for them. Don't get me wrong, he holds me accountable and I'm thankful.

I do enjoy researching immensely though. At least we love our "job"! ;)

Edited by angela&4boys

I think, re: research time, it depends on what it's taking away from. hsing is my hobby. It's fun. My house is clean, my children are on free time, the baby needs to nurse- while I do it I'm gonna sit down and play. And for me, hs planning is play.

:iagree:

Here's the other thing, having HS boards has PREVENTED me from purchasing curriculum that I'm only "interested" in. It has made my decisions MORE thought out and clearer. Before I found these boards, I had wasted tons of money on curriculum I should have never purchased. I didn't have anyone to bounce ideas off of, I didn't have varying opinions/facts about how certain curriculums work. What happened was, I felt trapped and forced to make a curriculum work when, if I had known what it was really like, I would have never bought it.

So, while I can see where you're coming from on the boards being a time suck, I disagree with addressing it toward the curriculum side of things. I find when I'm on this side of the boards I'm MUCH more productive than in the General boards (but I go over there anyway so don't flame me GB users:D) If anything, the curriculum boards have been so quiet, people were complaining during the fall that they couldn't get their questions answered because of all the drama on the GB's. I think it's great that they've been "hopping" since the first of the year. After all, it's convention season, and conventions are overwhelming if you don't have an idea of what you're looking for.

Just my 2 cents. I'm glad you've found a system that works for you! This is what works for me.

Blessings!

Dorinda