Menu

Independent History Options for 3rd & 2nd?

JudoMom

While I love the idea of SOTW, we're just not getting to it. I think it's just my stage of schooling where I'm needed to teach by 3.5 kids for their core subjects (3rd, 2nd, K, & the .5 is my PreKer who won't let the idea of school for him drop).

Do you guys have any suggestions for a more independent/workbookish type History curriculum I could check into :confused:? I'm really feeling a gap in their knowledge in the History/Social Studies area. They work well alone with workbooks and read really well.

Thanks for any ideas.

others could help you juggle it all?

For us our read alouds cover history and the boys really look forward to that part of the day. We supplement Science and History with United Streaming type videos. I also have my oldest read from a book basket that I fill with books relating to our current studies that are at his level.

it's really not a matter of juggling it all at this point. On paper it works out great, but in real life it's just not happening. Ds8 is rereading SOTW1 on his own time, and plans to reread SOTW2, and when he finishes I'll let him read SOTW3 and then I'll buy 4 for him. I simply don't have time to read it aloud or read any supplemental readings aloud right now, and the boys enjoy workbooks, so I think our best course of action is to get something for them to work on independently and restart the 4 year cycle when my oldest hits Logic stage-ish :). But thanks for the offer.

it's really not a matter of juggling it all at this point. On paper it works out great, but in real life it's just not happening. Ds8 is rereading SOTW1 on his own time, and plans to reread SOTW2, and when he finishes I'll let him read SOTW3 and then I'll buy 4 for him. I simply don't have time to read it aloud or read any supplemental readings aloud right now, and the boys enjoy workbooks, so I think our best course of action is to get something for them to work on independently and restart the 4 year cycle when my oldest hits Logic stage-ish :). But thanks for the offer.

I think letting them read on their own is enough at this age. Have your ds continue the SOTW books as you are and have them choose some books at the library to supplement that they can read on their own.

Here is a workbook, but it is 4th-8th grade. It may still work for you.

http://www.schoolspecialtypublishing.com/store/item.aspx?DepartmentId=47&ItemId=400

Here are some Hayes workbooks, but not sure if they would be what you are looking for.

http://www.bywayofthefamily.com/seriesresults2.cfm?strSeriesCode=HAYESHist

You could also have them start a notebook where they can keep drawings, a simple timeline, written narrations (if you do those), etc.

Anyway, keep it simple. Let them explore history in a fun way and as you said, you can restart the cycle in a few years and start to go a little deeper then.

HTH

but we're huge fans of SOTW Audiobooks here. When we drive just about anywhere that takes longer than 15 min. that's what goes on in the car. Rest times, while they're playing, etc. And my older two seem to have great retention. I also have "Our Island Story" from Libravox downloaded and they listen to that. I *personally* think history done through workbooks sounds awful :D but that may just be me. Honestly though, for 2nd and 3rd, history doesn't need to be anything more than stacks of library books or books on tape. I think I'd rather just try and squeeze in one afternoon a WEEK where we read and discuss a little bit of SOTW or something than use workbooks for this subject. Or Saturday history while dad watches the littler ones?

Not very helpful, am I?

:)

Jami

I re-read your response to Michelle. I really think finding some great audiobooks would be best for you. There's SOTW of course, and OIS at Libravox or Amazon, I think somewhere I've seen a recording of Baldwin's 50 Famous Stories which is great. If you honestly just don't have time for the extra reading aloud, then audiobooks really are a better option than workbooks, IMNSHO. ;) Then have them draw you a picture or just tell you at the dinner table about what they were listening to.

IMNSHO, workbooks do not do a good job of teaching history. Really, I think what you are doing is fine. Let your oldest read SOTW on his own. You can also find easy reader type books for the younger ones on historical topics and read aloud some picture books. There are lots of really nice picture books that cover history. But I REALLY wouldn't stress about history at all at this point.

If you need book suggestions, the Sonlight catalog is a good place to start.

Susan in TX

at their reading levels. Just throw a bunch of books in a Reading Basket and have them read whatever they want. If you are adventurous, add an activity book and let them plan and implement their own crafts.

I use TruthQuest to find my books.

Another option that can be used indeplendently is Ambleside Online. Just beware of over placement.

if you have the SOTW Activity guide, you can just use that literature list. Check out those titles, and any others available at your library, and throw them in a Reading Basket. Kids can learn so much through good books, without any other outside involvement.

I re-read your response to Michelle. I really think finding some great audiobooks would be best for you. There's SOTW of course, and OIS at Libravox or Amazon, I think somewhere I've seen a recording of Baldwin's 50 Famous Stories which is great. If you honestly just don't have time for the extra reading aloud, then audiobooks really are a better option than workbooks, IMNSHO. ;) Then have them draw you a picture or just tell you at the dinner table about what they were listening to.

we're never in the car anymore. Seriously--church is across the street, co-op, piano, & Judo are all about a 5-10 minute drive. I use that time for Latin :).

Y'all are doing a good job of trying to persuade me, but you'll just have to trust me when I say that going to something more independent and workbook based is the best option for us right now :D. It's not a longterm solution, just a temporary thing. They're fine with it, I'm seeing some gaps I'm just not able to fill at this time without neglecting some things that my younger boys need from me. I've coached friends with this same advice (just listen, read books, etc), but right now they need something more than what I'm giving them in this area.

And Jami-I've missed seeing you around the General Boards since we switched :).

Just for us, my ds won't retain much if he "just" reads. This may not be true for everyone, however! Manipulating the info is best. If you don't already have the tests that accompany SOTW you could get those and use them as your worksheets. Also, you might have them write a one-paragraph summary for each section. Just a couple of thoughts.

Just for us, my ds won't retain much if he "just" reads. This may not be true for everyone, however! Manipulating the info is best. If you don't already have the tests that accompany SOTW you could get those and use them as your worksheets. Also, you might have them write a one-paragraph summary for each section. Just a couple of thoughts.

That's an idea I'll have to roll around. Thanks :).

I would assign them.

I would require your oldest to mark dates on a time line, and leave it at that for now.

I don't know of an independent workbook for that age, and I couldn't find a good spine for that age other than SOTW--I wanted a US history spine, and as far as I can tell, a suitable one does not exist.

It's really too bad--kids that age love the story aspect of history, and there should be a US history series like SOTW to feed them.

If you want more US history, the best thing I know of for that age is the easier of the Jean Fritz books as a supplement.

:) I've been around the Gen. board a bit, just cut back on my time here lately.

Sorry if you felt bombarded a bit by the "Don't do workbooks!" advice. You know your needs and situation best. I don't know if your oldest would be quite ready for it, but Calvert's puts out a workbook that goes with CHOW. Would that be the kind of thing you're looking for? I guess I don't do "Social Studies" really, I don't know if my kids have many gaps in that area or not. For maps/geography I'd think you could find more stuff.

I TOTALLY envy you your limited time in the car! In St. Louis we had a much more dense radius, but here in TX things are a bit more spread out. So I try and make good use of the time we're stuck en route to one place or another. ;)

Good luck finding something that fits your needs for this season!

Jami

American Education Publishing (I think). There is also one for US History. I've not used it myself, but have the Book of Geography/Presidents. Thick workbooks, lots of info/topics covered. There is one on sale today at homeschoolclassifieds.com for $10 (both World and US). Thought of you when I saw it. Here's the link...

http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/show_sale_age.asp?st=1&en=1

HTH!

Sue

:) I've been around the Gen. board a bit, just cut back on my time here lately.

Sorry if you felt bombarded a bit by the "Don't do workbooks!" advice. You know your needs and situation best. I don't know if your oldest would be quite ready for it, but Calvert's puts out a workbook that goes with CHOW. Would that be the kind of thing you're looking for? I guess I don't do "Social Studies" really, I don't know if my kids have many gaps in that area or not. For maps/geography I'd think you could find more stuff.

I TOTALLY envy you your limited time in the car! In St. Louis we had a much more dense radius, but here in TX things are a bit more spread out. So I try and make good use of the time we're stuck en route to one place or another.

Good luck finding something that fits your needs for this season!

Jami

I didn't feel bombarded--I know that it's close to blasphemy to think of doing workbooks for History on this board, but I thought I might not be the only one ;). I had a good friend over yesterday afternoon and she helped me work through what was bothering me. I think I'm going to get God's World News for the boys and have them read it on their own and give them the quizzes, and I'm going to try and find a copy of the workbook Sue recommended below to see if that will help fill in my perceived gaps :rolleyes:. I think after co-op is over we'll start with SOTW3 and do that through the summer with our Math and Latin.

Anyway, I do appreciate all of the help and advice :D.

not a workbook, but an indpendent, interactive online curriculum with quizzes. Time4Learning.com. It's free to try and only $20 a month. It might be worth a shot. We use it then again when I need my dd to work totally independently. I can access her quiz scores to keep up with her comprehension.

Just a thought.

not a workbook, but an indpendent, interactive online curriculum with quizzes. Time4Learning.com. It's free to try and only $20 a month. It might be worth a shot. We use it then again when I need my dd to work totally independently. I can access her quiz scores to keep up with her comprehension.

Just a thought.

I'll check into this as well :D.