Menu

What action have you taken when a used book from Amazon does not arrive?

I ordered a used book through Amazon on December 6. When the book had not arrived after 3 weeks, I e-mailed the vendor who said he mailed the book within two days of the order. There was no insurance or delivery confirmation added to order.

Now, if the book never arrives, who should legitimately suffer the loss, the vendor or me?

Thanks!

Go to your Amazon account, click on the order, and you can file with them that it simply never arrived. Most of my experiences with Marketplace have been very good, but I had to do this with a math textbook I tried to order last summer. I was very frustrated with the whole thing ('cause I really did want the book!), but Amazon did return my money to me pretty quickly.

I ordered a book around the same time and while it did arrive it was TOTALLY not as described. It was a Klutz book and missing all the materials. I resealed the envelope and did a return to sender. I emailed the vendor - no response. The very first day I could file a claim with Amazon i did so (Jan 3) and they have refunded my purchase (plus shipping). I'm VERY happy with Amazon.

Well, I look at the person's feedback, and if it's good, I just chalk it up to lost in the postal service. Sometimes the seller offers a refund, but because I don't consider it the seller's fault, I don't ask for it.

I've had things I've shipped before that never arrived, so I know it happens. If I don't choose to pay for insurance, I know I'm always taking a risk.

I've had that happen to me with a new book from Amazon, and they were great about it.

As far as their Marketplace, if you paid for the book, your responsibility is taken care of. If the seller didn't get delivery confirmation, it's up to him to prove it was actually delivered, or refund your money.

Another option is to contact your P.O. about this -- once, when I had a book not arrive and the seller said it had been sent, our local PO person asked our driver to drive by our house to make sure she/he recognized it and remembered delivering a book there. Turned out they delivered it to the wrong house, and the person who received it just didn't get around to returning it to the PO in a timely manner. However, I live in a smaller town, so this may or may not work for you.

Either way, though, it's ultimately the seller's responsibility if you have already paid for the item. And by contacting Amazon, you will make sure (at the very least) that they're aware of what their sellers are doing.

Hope this helps,

Lynda

It's actually not Amazon that refunds you if the item doesn't arrive. They take it out of the seller's earnings or their back-up credit card. The seller can be nice and refund, or Amazon can do it "for" the seller if they refuse and the buyer pursues it.

Once a book I sold supposedly didn't arrive, and I refused to refund until Amazon did it because the buyer seemed "iffy" to me and didn't understand Media Mail. It was a college text. I was out $50 (big dummy, I didn't put tracking/insurance on it). Later the guy emailed me that it had arrived, but his roommate had put it in the buyer's bedroom which was a mess, and he didn't see it until he discussed the situation with his roommate. Amazon gave me a phone number for the guy to call to pay for it, but he never did. Now I buy insurance and tracking on any book over $15 and always for college texts.

Another time I bought a book from a vendor just a few states away that didn't arrive, and the seller refunded after six weeks. The book arrived eight weeks after I purchased it, and I emailed the vendor. They were very nice about my honesty, and gave me an address to mail payment to if I wanted to do that. And I did send them a check.

So contact Amazon if the vendor won't refund, and they'll take the $ from the vendor. That's one reason that I prefer buying used on Amazon. The process is more reliable than dealing with Paypal/eBay.

Edited by GVA

I had this problem with another website (I think abebooks) that has a guarantee. I emailed the vendor (who responded that it had been mailed) and then waited until the latest possible "normal" arrive date, and then after one week, my money was refunded, without incident. I would use this service.

Here is info about Amazon's guarantee, which reads in part:

That is why we guarantee purchases from Amazon Marketplace and Merchant sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.com website or when you use Amazon Payments for qualified purchases on third party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=537868

Another option is to contact your P.O. about this -- once, when I had a book not arrive and the seller said it had been sent, our local PO person asked our driver to drive by our house to make sure she/he recognized it and remembered delivering a book there. Turned out they delivered it to the wrong house, and the person who received it just didn't get around to returning it to the PO in a timely manner. However, I live in a smaller town, so this may or may not work for you.

Hope this helps,

Lynda

I live in a smaller place and our post office is much less helpful than yours.

I had a book get lost, yet the tracking info said it was delivered. All the postmaster did was call the driver. The driver said she positively remembered delivering it to the right house. I asked, "How does she know it was the right house, if she doesn't drive back past to see which house you're talking about?"

Anyway, the seller sent a new book. A week later, a stranger in the neighborhood brought the orginal book by because it was delivered to his house. I notified the seller, who told me to mark it "return to sender" and give it back to the letter carrier.

As for the OP, I would contact the seller one more time to resolve the issue. Then I'd contact Amazon.

I've had good luck on Amazon Marketplace, as both a buyer and a seller. When we have contacted sellers about missing packages, they have sent replacements immediately (and then, weeks later, the original arrived).

I only sell our stuff as stash-busting, so I wouldn't be able to do that, but I always send packages first-class, with delivery confirmation. It's always less than the flat shipping fee (including my envelope) and, frankly, *I* hate waiting for things to come media mail, so I try not to afflict others.

But, yes, they should refund your money. It's the "cost of doing business". I just try to hedge my bets when shipping.:D