Menu

Body Worlds: a new exhibit arriving at our science museum...

Has anyone seen this? Evidently they are real bodies that have been plasticized and preserved/posed, etc. They say that children 5th grade and over will learn a lot. Not sure what I think. Has anyone seen it? It sounds educational but it disturbs me at the same time.

My issue with it is the lingering controversy about where they got the bodies. This was in the news last year, I believe...something about suspicion that many of the bodies came from executed prisoners in China. You'd have to Google it...

Here's an older article... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3420483.stm

Ria

Edited by Ria

I saw it a few years ago. I thought it was fascinating. I can see why younger children and some adults might find it disturbing, however.

One thing I didn't like: the exhibit contains older and newer parts. In the older parts, there is a very reverent attitude toward the human body. By the end/newer part, dead naked people are playing poker and passing cards under the table. ugh

My eldest daughter saw it in Philadelphia and said it was phenomenal. We wanted to go when it was in Baltimore (the kids being aware that these were real people and were ok with it) but we missed it.

I know there has been controversy about how some of the remains have been obtained in some of the tours, but I was pretty sure the Body World was not one of them - I've heard a number of interviews about their methods and, if I recall correctly, they use an independent party to verify donation records, etc. so they can both feel comfortable with the validity of the donation and protect the identities. I remember this particular controversy, and it seems that Professor von Hagens really does due diligence and did the right thing in returning any "questionable" bodies.

Whether anyone is comfortable with it, though, is a very personal decision.

We went years ago in Denver. I brought all my kids, some were in strollers. We all thought it was fascinating. There was a pregnant woman and fetuses that captivated the kids. The circulatory system stuff was very cool. I'd take them again in a second if it ever comes back.

There wasn't anyone playing poker at ours.

We went years ago in Denver. I brought all my kids, some were in strollers. We all thought it was fascinating. There was a pregnant woman and fetuses that captivated the kids. The circulatory system stuff was very cool. I'd take them again in a second if it ever comes back.

There wasn't anyone playing poker at ours.

My dd pointed out they were mostly boys. The horse was interesting.

They had it here at our science museum for a long time but I never did get a chance to go, I am still bummed out by it. My only suggestion if you do go is to avoid the fetus room. If we went were going to avoid that room, they keep that display separate so people can avoid it if they chose.

It is an absolutely astounding exhibition to experience. And I can see how some people would have issues ranging from matters of "taste" to deeper ethical and religious/spiritual concerns. I'm not without some qualms myself.

But for those who are OK with the premise of having preserved human bodies and body parts on "display" it is hard to overstate what an impressive (and educational) experience you have attending Body Worlds (assuming "3" is as good as "2"). If you go, you will never forget it (for better or worse :D)

Bill

One thing I didn't like: the exhibit contains older and newer parts. In the older parts, there is a very reverent attitude toward the human body. By the end/newer part, dead naked people are playing poker and passing cards under the table. ugh

:iagree:

By the end of the exhibit, we were regretting that we had purchased tickets. It became less about the wonders of the body and more about what amusing art could be created with body parts. ~shudder~

We went a couple of months ago. It was okay, but it's not as educational as a dvd with good photography would be or even a Seymour Simon book. YMMV on this, the kids I took are 5 and 8. It was extremely expensive for a museum show IMHO. The nonmember rate in Houston was $27.50. It's not worth that. We paid the $7.50 field trip rate and at that price it was worthwhile.

We went twice, two different exhibits. It is absolutely fascinating, not gross at all. Our group was very large, with kids from kindergarten age on up. As long as you or your children aren't really squeamish or bothered by such things, it's a fascinating, humbling, awe-inspiring exhibit.

Michelle T