Menu

We need a new iron! Any recommendations?

Well, you killed my recommendation with the "don't want to spend a lot of money" part. Rowenta Professional irons (about $120) are awesome. They make ironing so easy it isn't even a chore.

ETA to say, I refuse to own anything else...ever again.

Well, you killed my recommendation with the "don't want to spend a lot of money" part. Rowenta Professional irons (about $120) are awesome. They make ironing so easy it isn't even a chore.

ETA to say, I refuse to own anything else...ever again.

I had a Rowenta and I wish I could endorse it! Mine leaked water and the temperature dial quit turning. I was sorely disappointed in mine.

I have a Shark and it's fine.

They were definitely not high quality irons even though I paid about $60 a piece. They both had leakage issues and the 2nd one just quit working. I would not recommend buying a Rowenta unless you buy top of the line. The iron I own now (my 3rd in 5 years) is a Black and Decker from Target that I paid $35 for. It works better that either of the Rowenta did. Just my experience.

Joy

I have loved my Rowentas too! I bought mine at Costco. I can't give you a rec on a cheaper one because I have only had Rowenta for 10 years.

They glide over the fabric and it makes ironing much easier.

I would check Amazon for reviews of irons. Look for one with a stainless steel bottom, not non-stick.

spat! Dh just ordered me this one, which was rated number one in Consumer Reports. It gets great reviews from people who have had Rowentas! And it's cheap!

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-D2030-Auto-Off-Advantage/dp/B0006ZUHR0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1231192950&sr=8-1

So I haven't tried it yet, but the reviews look good!

I have had three Rowentas and they are not all that they are cracked-up to be. Two leaked. I use the third one dry and just spritz the clothes with a spray bottle filled with water.

However, my 10 year old, cheap Proctor Silex works wonderfully well. I love it and highly recommend it.

I have a Rowenta and love it. It replaced a 15 year old Black & Decker that still works. I just do a lot of ironing and wanted something heavier and without the non-stick coating.

If you're an occasional iron-er, I'd recommend the B&Ds without reservation.

My Rowenta is five or six years old and no longer sold, but perfect. I wonder if this is a problem with the newer models?

Now, the mid-priced Rowentas have always had leaking issues (in reviews I read). But the over 100 dollar models were excellent when I bought mine.

OP is probably very confused by now.:D

Check where the Rowenta is made. I have not had problems with my Rowenta irons that were made in Germany. The less expensive ones are manufactured elsewhere.

My first Rowenta did its duty for about fifteen years. The cord shorted out after about ten and that was replaced at my local hardware store. My "new" one is about five years old.

I believe that Rowentas may leak if you do not periodically clean them--they can get a mineral build up in the tank depending on your water supply.