Menu

Canners - Can I use these pots?

skimomma

I do a lot of canning so I have both water bath and pressure canners.  One thing I can every year is vegetable broth.  This year, I am planning to experiment with concentrating the broth by simmering it for a couple of days.  The hope is that I will end up with higher-concentration broth that I add water to when using so that the final canned product will take up less storage space.  However, I only have one stock pot.  I really need more vessels to use as a holding tank as I strain each batch and save myself time by having more than one pot simmering simultaneously for the final concentrate.  Could I use the water and/or pressure canner pots for these purposes?

The water canner is your typical thin-walled pot.  It does have quite a bit of mineral build up on the inside.  Would it be safe to simmer broth in that pot?  And if not, is it at least safe to temporarily hold hot liquid?

The pressure canner is a 1970's aluminum Mirro-Matic deal.  The box says you can also use it to pressure cook food, so I assume it is safe for both simmering and holding broth?  Any reason to be concerned with using it?

If they have mineral build up, I wouldn’t use them. I can’t remember why, but I only cook things I can in stainless steel. I do know one time when I was showing my neighbor how to make dandelion jelly we used a variety of pots and the aluminum one had some kind of reaction with the making of the dandelion tea and made it taste awful and we poured it out. The tea made in the stainless steel pot was fine. Not sure what that means, but just reinforced that I only cook things I’m canning in my stainless steel pots. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Could you cook it down in your crockpot? Bring to a boil, put in preheated crockpot, then leave lid off or set it on side ways? 

I am talking many many gallons of broth.  So, while I do have a crockpot, it would not even make a dent in the amount of liquid I need to simmer.

I know aluminum reacts with certain acids.  I was hoping that with broth being neutral, it would be ok.  Anyone know?

• Like 1

Don't use the boiling water canner to hold the liquid in or cook it in. You just don't know how it might react and you don't want mineral floaties in this broth that you are putting all this time into.

You can use the pressure canner to cook the liquid, especially if it doubles as a pressure cooker. I would use that one if you don't want to go to the trouble of sourcing a new stock pot. If this is a regular activity for you, it might be worth investing. You can get a very nice 24 quart stock pot at Sam's Club for around $40. 

I use my canners (two) when I make sweet pickles. Last step is heating the pickles in brine, then putting them in  jars (and lids) that are turned upside down until room temperature when the lids are sealed. 

8 hours ago, skimomma said:

Thanks everyone.  I borrowed a second stock pot.  I'd love to buy one but my storage space is already inadequate.  I think the pressure cooker would have been fine to use but I'd rather not chance it.

My friends and family (aunt,sister, mom) trade off canners, stock pots, and roasting ovens as we like to get it all done at once but it is silly to buy doubles of everything when you only use to 2-4 times a year. Mom and I worked together and usual had at least 3 canners going in various stages etc. 

But I am happy to loan out mine when they need it too, so it works.