Menu

Full Language Arts programs that are less rigorous?

I was going to follow the same path with my 3rd that I had my first two do (IEW and Clearwater Press), which is very rigorous and I really like it, but I'm not sure he will like it. I've looked at Language Arts Through Literature and I don’t think it's quite right. We heavily incorporate the BraveWriter lifestyle, but that's not enough for him. I have considered BW products. He will be in 3rd grade.

Halp.

Posted (edited)

At that age I liked R&S done mostly orally, on the couch. Alternate days with Dictation Day by Day. Pentime handwriting daily. 

Edited by KeriJ
  • Thanks 1

English Lessons Through Literature is gentle.  108 lessons per year covering literature, writing, grammar, art study.  Reading/Spelling is addressed through the sister program, Reading & Spelling Through Literature.

I liked Writing Tales for my oldest.  Very gentle, all inclusive work, but the spelling is more like "study the words you spelled wrong in your work."  Each set of lessons covers 2 weeks and the pages feel clean and easy to work with.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

I've not heard of this. I googled it, but nothing useful came up. Can you please elaborate?

Oh goodness! Autocorrect!!🤣

Pentime handwriting 

• Haha 6

I love Writing & Rhetoric's Fable and Narrative books for that age.  You don't need to make them write it all down - do the "sentence play" and "go deeper" and such orally and playfully, and just have them write the actual composition each week.  We easily completed two in a year (each book is meant to last a semester) but I wouldn't feel guilty about doing a single book over a year, especially if you have all the other BraveWriter pieces already going on and are maybe just after a little more structure or output.  Also, it will stretch a grade or two either side of the "3rd-4th" that they suggest, so if you are wanting to combine a couple of kids you could.

• Like 2

We used Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl this year. I found it gentle and my boys liked it. Half through the year I added in Rod & Staff 3. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped PLL and went right to Intermediate. 

I printed out With Pencil and Pen too and we enjoyed it immensely. I think it’s a hidden gem. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AnneGG said:

We used Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl this year. I found it gentle and my boys liked it. Half through the year I added in Rod & Staff 3. If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped PLL and went right to Intermediate. 

I printed out With Pencil and Pen too and we enjoyed it immensely. I think it’s a hidden gem. 

What are the ages for Pencil and Pen? I used to have it written down but can't remember. 

4 hours ago, seemesew said:

What are the ages for Pencil and Pen? I used to have it written down but can't remember. 

It says primary school. I’d guess 2nd-4th grade range depending on the child’s abilities. 

• Like 1

PS -- Writing Tales clearly does not include reading, which would be something you'd want in a "full LA program".

I was just assuming that, from your subject title, you were most looking for a less rigorous LA program esp for the writing/grammar. 😉 

For reading, you could totally go without any program. If your 3rd grader is reading mostly at grade level (and especially if reading above grade level), just fill a big basket with all the great books out there for that age, and enjoy those all year, as well as some fun read-alouds.  😉 

For spelling, if it is a fit for your 3rd grader, you could keep it simple and just do weekly word lists out of Natural Speller. Or if your student learns spelling from a workbook and repeated writing of the word (neither of my DSs learned spelling that way, but some children do), then just add something like Spelling Workout, or Rod & Staff spelling.

PS #2 
I wanted to like LLATL, but it just was a fail all the way around for us -- overall too light, and none of the LA was at the right level for him -- sort of a Goldilocks issue of some were too advanced and some were too easy. So, not a fit at all. That is what I personally think is the problem with most full LA programs for elementary ages -- children are developing all of those different areas in spurts and plateaus, so they're always either ahead or behind of what the grammar, writing, spelling, etc. elements in the LA program are at... 

I know it's a pain, but in those elementary grades, having a separate program that tailor-fits your child for each element of LA (reading, writing, handwriting, spelling, phonics, grammar, vocabulary) is SO helpful. And, you can tackle just selected LA elements at different ages, so not trying to do everything at once. For example:

K- 2nd = learning to read; phonics; handwriting
3rd-4th = reading for fluency/confidence; writing; spelling; grammar; handwriting (if still needed)
5th-6th = reading for content; writing; grammar; spelling (if still needed); vocabulary (optional)
7th-8th = beginning literature; writing; grammar (if still needed); vocabulary (optional)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3