Menu

Our cat is missing.

Our 8 year old cat sneaked out this morning and has not been back since. We've had her for around three years, during which time she has been an indoor cat. (We were told that she was an indoor cat before that, but we also weren't told other important things about her health. :glare: So, who knows if we were told the truth about that.)

On the few occasions she has gotten out in the past, she never ventures very much farther than our flower beds or at the very most the apartment building next door. This morning she was nowhere to be seen within a short time of her escape.

Dh and I are trying to keep a brave face for the little guy, but I don't have a good feeling about this.:crying:

Don't give up. Lots of house cats that get out do just like you said, stick very close to the house. Try going out after dark and calling, then listen. She might answer and not move. When they are scared they stay very quiet. Keep looking and listening. Put food out. She could be right under your nose just listening to you call. Cats are odd ducks. You have a good chance of finding her.

Don't give up. Lots of house cats that get out do just like you said, stick very close to the house. Try going out after dark and calling, then listen. She might answer and not move. When they are scared they stay very quiet. Keep looking and listening. Put food out. She could be right under your nose just listening to you call. Cats are odd ducks. You have a good chance of finding her.

Thanks, Remudamom. I think I'll go take another look outside for her.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Our 8 year old cat sneaked out this morning and has not been back since. We've had her for around three years, during which time she has been an indoor cat. (We were told that she was an indoor cat before that, but we also weren't told other important things about her health. :glare: So, who knows if we were told the truth about that.)

On the few occasions she has gotten out in the past, she never ventures very much farther than our flower beds or at the very most the apartment building next door. This morning she was nowhere to be seen within a short time of her escape.

Dh and I are trying to keep a brave face for the little guy, but I don't have a good feeling about this.:crying:

We've always had inside cats too and we've had several scares when one in particular has gotten out. Every single time, my husband had to go out that night with the flashlight, calling her and flashing the light. My gut feeling as to why we had to search her out instead of her returning on her own? I think it was because she was an inside cat who thought it was exciting to escape a few times in broad daylight but when darkness came, she was too petrified to find her way home. Every time my husband found her, she looked paralyzed with fear. But we did find her, every time. She was always hiding in bushes at various houses all down our street and she was always happy to make herself known and come home when she was found.

I would send dh out with a flashlight, a can of tuna, and his very best "here kitty, kitty!"

Good luck!

Kristina

Both, my husband and I looked again last night before bed with no luck. We put up flyers this morning and spoke to a few of our neighbors who had seen her. They had all seen her in around the same place at nearly the same time yesterday morning.

Then tonight as I was making dinner, another neighbor called saying he had seen Meow-Meow! He had been exiting an apartment building and she was sitting right in front of the door. When he exited the building she ran over to another porch and he called us. My husband ran over to where our neighbor was and found her on the porch.

We'll all sleep a bit better tonight!

I'm so glad you found her. I know how stressful it can be to accidently let an indoor only cat out.

One of our cat escaped last week because my 16 year old thought it would be a good idea to open his bedroom window when he does not have a screen. (It got blown off in the hurricane we had this past summer and has not been replaced yet). Thankfully we realized the window was open and did a kittycat head count and immediatly realized one was missing. He was under our trailer so we drug him out and brought him back in.

Oh, good! I'm glad your adventure is over and everyone is safe and sound.

Our cat (now almost 18) has gotten out a couple times. And he HIDES! One night, I was out there shaking his dish and calling and finally saw "him" coming down a neighbor's railing... until I realized "he" was an opossum! Evidently, they really like cat food because this one was definitely planning to pass as the cat.

Oh, and then there was the time when I went out the kitchen door in the dark to get something out of the car and found "him" in the driveway, so scooped him up and tossed him back into the house... only to come in to find 1 confused husband, 1 confused teenager and 1 confused foreign cat (that in my defense looked an awful lot like Sam in the dark) standing in the kitchen.

Owning pets is so soothing, isn't it? :tongue_smilie:

I'm so glad you found her. I know how stressful it can be to accidently let an indoor only cat out.

One of our cat escaped last week because my 16 year old thought it would be a good idea to open his bedroom window when he does not have a screen. (It got blown off in the hurricane we had this past summer and has not been replaced yet). Thankfully we realized the window was open and did a kittycat head count and immediatly realized one was missing. He was under our trailer so we drug him out and brought him back in.

Thanks! I'm glad you were able to find him quickly.

Oh, good! I'm glad your adventure is over and everyone is safe and sound.

Our cat (now almost 18) has gotten out a couple times. And he HIDES! One night, I was out there shaking his dish and calling and finally saw "him" coming down a neighbor's railing... until I realized "he" was an opossum! Evidently, they really like cat food because this one was definitely planning to pass as the cat.

Oh, and then there was the time when I went out the kitchen door in the dark to get something out of the car and found "him" in the driveway, so scooped him up and tossed him back into the house... only to come in to find 1 confused husband, 1 confused teenager and 1 confused foreign cat (that in my defense looked an awful lot like Sam in the dark) standing in the kitchen.

Owning pets is so soothing, isn't it? :tongue_smilie:

I know it!:D

I guess it was better that the foreign cat you tossed inside was a cat and not an opossum! Yikes!