Menu

Another shoe thread

Amethyst

I have gotten to the point where I feel like I need to start investing in good shoes. I have pretty much stopped wearing heels to work, but even just wearing flats I find my feet are sore at the end of the day. And I’m not on my feet a lot! I do NOT have wide feet. I think that the flats I’ve been wearing have NO support though. Is there such a thing as stylish flats with good arch support and cushiony inside? Links appreciated. 

I think this is the kind of thing where you’re best served by going to a higher service shoe store. They’re generally local or very small chains. They carry shoes from $75-400 (higher end generally being boots or specialty work shoes that prevent feet being crushed in industrial accidents). At my local store the shoes I like are generally in the $75-130 range. IME the salespeople can tell by looking at your foot what you’ll find most comfortable and supportive. 

Frankly I’ve had designer shoes that were more expensive than this, but they were just stylish, not better for my feet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am in the same spot.  I recently went to a small, local shoe store where the worker was in her 60s and very knowledgeable.  She sold me a pair of casual shoes that are very comfortable and a pair of Birkenstock inserts to wear in flats.  She said that they could make a big diffference when wearing flats.  I have not gotten used to the inserts yet and don't know how well I am going to like them.  But, the shoes are so comfortable I will be heading back to  look for more options.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I have gotten to the point where I feel like I need to start investing in good shoes. I have pretty much stopped wearing heels to work, but even just wearing flats I find my feet are sore at the end of the day. And I’m not on my feet a lot! I do NOT have wide feet. I think that the flats I’ve been wearing have NO support though. Is there such a thing as stylish flats with good arch support and cushiony inside? Links appreciated. 

Ecco? They  have dress shoes. This is the UK site but you should be able to find them

https://gb.ecco.com/en-GB/product/5643404139/ECCO-SCULPTED-LX

https://gb.ecco.com/en-GB/product/5642716266/ECCO-ANINE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find getting insoles that help is easier than finding dressy flats with adequate support. I have high arches and with age they aren’t as high anymore. Ecco, Clarks have dress shoes that have better support. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Ecco? They  have dress shoes. This is the UK site but you should be able to find them

https://gb.ecco.com/en-GB/product/5643404139/ECCO-SCULPTED-LX

https://gb.ecco.com/en-GB/product/5642716266/ECCO-ANINE

Ecco is what I came here to recommend as well. They have so many cute styles and they are brilliant for feet that get tired and need support

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Katy said:

I think this is the kind of thing where you’re best served by going to a higher service shoe store. They’re generally local or very small chains. 

I don’t know of any local shoe stores in my small city. I’ll keep my ears open though. 

26 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I don’t know of any local shoe stores in my small city. I’ll keep my ears open though. 

When my oldest was walking weirdly as a small kid, his pediatrician gave us a list of shoe stores that the healthcare group knows offer shoe advise service. The podiatrist would probably have a list too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1