Menu

Another stabbing in Australia

Katy

The whole thing seems pretty weird. It seems like this preacher was somewhat controversial/political? The mob behaviour is worrying and police officers cars have been injured/trashed. I can’t really make sense of the information coming out about it.

Police are calling it a possible terrorist attack

A lot of people were very keyed up over the previous stabbing believing it was terrorism related and blaming immigration etc. when it turned out that was a no they were kind of deflated - I wonder if that’s why so much anger/riot today? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The whole thing seems pretty weird. It seems like this preacher was somewhat controversial/political? The mob behaviour is worrying and police officers cars have been injured/trashed. I can’t really make sense of the information coming out about it.

My daughter discovered him because she is researching the Eastern Orthodox faith. She did say he is regarded as conservative, but she hasn't seen him be "political". He is controversial in that he was excommunicated from the Syrian Orthodox church over his "Nestorianism" which is heresy in the Orthodox church. My daughter isn't a "follower" of his, so not an expert. And I'm certainly not either. She just gave me a brief rundown of what she knows about him this afternoon. Apparently he gained a big online following during the pandemic. I think he was vocal about being anti mrna vax which is also controversial. 

3 hours ago, popmom said:

My daughter discovered him because she is researching the Eastern Orthodox faith. She did say he is regarded as conservative, but she hasn't seen him be "political". He is controversial in that he was excommunicated from the Syrian Orthodox church over his "Nestorianism" which is heresy in the Orthodox church. My daughter isn't a "follower" of his, so not an expert. And I'm certainly not either. She just gave me a brief rundown of what she knows about him this afternoon. Apparently he gained a big online following during the pandemic. I think he was vocal about being anti mrna vax which is also controversial. 

I’m not familiar either just seen a few random comments about different stuff he’s said that may not even be correct! They don’t line up consistently. Maybe he’s just a really outspoken person 🙂 

Im just trying to understand where the whole mob mentality thing came from last night. The only other time we’ve had that kind of riot with police recently that I remember was during Covid 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 1

ABC is reporting that he was very outspoken about anti lockdown, anti vaccination, anti Covid measures. It makes more sense that his supporters were willing to attack police and seek vigilante style justice. (Not saying all of his followers are like that but if there were enough in the crowd it makes sense)

Paramedics were trapped in the building unable to leave for several hours.

I’m tired of every kind of extremism right now!!

• Sad 3

That’s so frightening. 

I wonder what the motive for the attempted stabbing was. 

And who in the world was in that mob? Church members?? You’d think most of them would have been inside. I’m with you. I’m beyond tired of the extremism. 

16 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

ABC is reporting that he was very outspoken about anti lockdown, anti vaccination, anti Covid measures. It makes more sense that his supporters were willing to attack police and seek vigilante style justice. (Not saying all of his followers are like that but if there were enough in the crowd it makes sense)

Paramedics were trapped in the building unable to leave for several hours.

I’m tired of every kind of extremism right now!!

Me too. It seems to never end. I don't know why extremists even want to live like this. 

• Like 1