Menu

Well-Trained Bodies - April

Dog walk this morning, then 3 hrs of tennis. Dh and I warmed up playing singles the first hr, then we played our last club championship mixed doubles match for 2 hrs. It was a lot of fun, even though we lost. My wrist is pretty sore now, though. More doubles tennis the next 2 days, and then I'll rest.

• Like 6

I took the train down to southern England today to visit friends and family. I had to cross London, so I took the tube to Hyde Park Corner and walked across the park to Paddington.  Barely a couple of miles but at least it was something.

The picture is of a mews house I saw on the way - mews were the stabling and coach houses behind grand residences, but they are now very pricy homes. They often don't have gardens, so owners put serious work into planting the frontage.

20240424_154054.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I played 2 hrs of tennis yesterday and my wrist felt fine, though I played horribly. So many errors and miss-hits. Dh and I are playing mixed doubles tonight, which should be fun. Hopefully my focus will be better today. 😉 

It's COLD again! Snow flurries this morning with a very cold wind. I played the whimpy card and did not go for a dog walk. 

• Like 6

I did a 3.5 mile walk yesterday, a fitbymyk video, and a lot of gardening for my mom today. I also bought some 5 pound weights to leave here since I come so often, and will start with those tonight.

• Like 5

I need a few moments to pick up the pieces of my shattered self-esteem after playing tennis so horribly tonight. The only saving grace was that dh was equally horrible, so he wasn't getting on my case. This is one of those days when I question why I keep playing this game. Once I calm down, I'll be back out there on the court chasing after more tennis balls. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm going to be back in the saddle again tonight! Dh and I just received an invitation to play doubles with some friends that always make me laugh really hard when we play. I need a really good laugh. 😉 

Got in a nice dog walk this morning. The sun was shining and it was -1C, but it felt ok. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm going to be back in the saddle again tonight! Dh and I just received an invitation to play doubles with some friends that always make me laugh really hard when we play. I need a really good laugh. 😉 

Got in a nice dog walk this morning. The sun was shining and it was -1C, but it felt ok. 

LOL that was me with pickleball this week.

Mon- upper body strength and pickleball

Tues and Wed- walk + stretch

Thurs-full body strength+ walk+ stretch

It's been another busy stressful week but things should be slower today and tomorrow. I finally broke down and took allergy meds. I'm still working out what to take when so I have energy during the day and can sleep at night. A few stressful situations have resolved/are resolving so I feel I can breathe a bit. Now, I have got to finish preparing for the upcoming vacation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Soror said:

LOL that was me with pickleball this week.

Mon- upper body strength and pickleball

Tues and Wed- walk + stretch

Thurs-full body strength+ walk+ stretch

It's been another busy stressful week but things should be slower today and tomorrow. I finally broke down and took allergy meds. I'm still working out what to take when so I have energy during the day and can sleep at night. A few stressful situations have resolved/are resolving so I feel I can breathe a bit. Now, I have got to finish preparing for the upcoming vacation. 

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with racquets. 😅

Where are you going for your vacation? What a lovely time of year to take a holiday!

• Like 2

Just finished TKD class. It's the first intermediate class I've been to in a long time. I've been going to a lot of beginner classes because it seems like so many other things happen on Mondays. And on Thursdays, too, I guess?

I've just started to put it together that if I get a cold, the symptoms might be gone in a week or two, but my energy levels take a few weeks more to recover. Chicago was fun, but it was a lot on my body. It was only yesterday that I was starting to feel more energetic. So, I've missed a number of classes over the past few months due to being actively sick or just feeling run down. I'm looking forward to warmer months, and hopefully fewer colds.

I'm so tired of feeling tired. One more year of chemo pills.  Bleah.

• Like 5

Tennis was fun tonight, and I was playing a little better. Still many mistakes, but I had more focus. I'm not sure where my brain was last night. 🤪

I went for 2 nice dog walks today, and finally got back to my strength and stretch exercises I'd dropped for a few weeks. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with racquets. 😅

Where are you going for your vacation? What a lovely time of year to take a holiday!

We're going to back to Scotland. We're staying in the Highlands and up north this time.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Soror said:

We're going to back to Scotland. We're staying in the Highlands and up north this time.

So cool!!

I'm sure you've thought of this, but make sure you bring warm. Spring feels different up north - at least it sure does in Canada. It can be warm, but it can also easily be snowy/frosty with cold rain and wind. I'm guessing that up in the highlands it will be chillier.

Have a wonderful time!!!

• Like 5

I did two videos today but not much else. I'm feeling blah from doing very little here at my mother's house. I have weights and do videos but most of my time is kind of hanging out waiting to do something with her. I'm feeling bad about my eating too, all healthy and delicious just too much. I'm into a weird slump here and have two more weeks to get through. The second week is at my sister's which will also be hard. I need to stop whining and get it together.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

So cool!!

I'm sure you've thought of this, but make sure you bring warm. Spring feels different up north - at least it sure does in Canada. It can be warm, but it can also easily be snowy/frosty with cold rain and wind. I'm guessing that up in the highlands it will be chillier.

Have a wonderful time!!!

Yes we've looked up the usual weather for the area and are packing accordingly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Soror said:

Yes we've looked up the usual weather for the area and are packing accordingly.

So smart! I honestly don't think about that unless it's a really hot climate I'm heading to. I just assume I can do cold, but hot throws me right off. 🤣

• Thanks 1

I got in some nice dog walks over the weekend, and enjoyed the rest from tennis. 

I'm hoping to get out kayaking pretty soon, as well as get out cycling. It's been such a chilly spring so far that it's delayed all my usual spring outdoor activities. Outdoor tennis will also be starting up soon! 

• Like 5

Last week my workout buddy was out sick with covid, so I resolved to work out at home. Much to my deep shame, it didn't happen at all last week. I really don't know what happened to me. Just busy days and vaguely not setting aside the time.😔

I think also not being able to walk long stretches due to my achy knee is a deep discouragement. We have a pretty, wooded lane next to the house and I love it out there. Most days I like to zip down the lane a time or two just for a breather and mental clarity, and many days I will do several laps at a good clip for exercise. Walking for exercise is just off the table for now, and I need to be better about riding the recumbent bike, which is totally do-able. I am trying to still do a lap or two more slowly on the lane to maintain some walking, but if I push too much that bone-on-bone pain and swelling gets ugly. So when I feel a nudge to go out on my treasured lane, and then feel that closed door and need for caution, it's really discouraging. (The plan right now is to maintain this year while our foster teen is so very, very needy, and then deal with replacement surgery hopefully next year.)

Today I jumped back in with a vengeance. Hit the gym first thing and did a stiff weights and core workout. I'll be feeling it later I'm sure, but I'm glad I did it. 

My plan for tomorrow is to ride the recumbent bike and alternate that with rowing to give my arms and back some work as well. Now that I've said it on a public forum, I MUST do it. 😉

• Like 5

I played 2 hrs of ladies doubles tennis. It was fun, and I seem to be playing better than last week. I still make errors, I just leave opportunities for others to make errors, too. 😉 

I've been doing my stretching exercises this past weekend, and even added in a few push-ups. It feels so good when I do them, but I still get lazy and forget to fit them in. 

• Like 5

Hit the gym first thing this morning and it was a doozy. Lots of hip and quad emphasis and legs with just a smattering of arms to round it all out. It's good to pump hard. 

Unfortunately did not execute my plan yesterday. I'd like to say it was a busy day, but I definitely could have fit it in. I was distracted, though, by some drama related to our foster teen's situation. (Not the teen, but others.) Often in the past I would take a refreshing walk on the leafy lane nearby but long walks are not an option with my knee right now. So here's my question--

How do you force yourself to exercise when your emotions are storming and you just want to read stuff or gossip to a sympathetic friend?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Hit the gym first thing this morning and it was a doozy. Lots of hip and quad emphasis and legs with just a smattering of arms to round it all out. It's good to pump hard. 

Unfortunately did not execute my plan yesterday. I'd like to say it was a busy day, but I definitely could have fit it in. I was distracted, though, by some drama related to our foster teen's situation. (Not the teen, but others.) Often in the past I would take a refreshing walk on the leafy lane nearby but long walks are not an option with my knee right now. So here's my question--

How do you force yourself to exercise when your emotions are storming and you just want to read stuff or gossip to a sympathetic friend?

No good advice because I would only walk in that situation. 

Wednesday - fast swim first thing then a walk with a friend at lunchtime. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

I've gone to my bedroom, turned on music (with headphones or a speaker) and done some relaxing stretching or yoga. If I need to talk to a friend, I've had the option of meeting them and walking together, but if I couldn't walk then we'd sit and have tea together.

Hope the emotional situation is resolving in a positive way!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

I've gone to my bedroom, turned on music (with headphones or a speaker) and done some relaxing stretching or yoga. If I need to talk to a friend, I've had the option of meeting them and walking together, but if I couldn't walk then we'd sit and have tea together.

Hope the emotional situation is resolving in a positive way!

Thanks! 

Yes, my go-to for coping has historically been reading books or taking walks or talking to someone. Just like you, @Laura Corin. I value exercise with my whole heart, but my natural bent is to read books. To stay still. That's where I default, unless I turn to my peaceful wooded walk. I can find peace and cheer in the reading or friend, but I need to keep exercising, too, kwim?

The emotional situation is going to be ongoing for as long as foster teen is with us. Teen does not mean to be difficult, though teen's needs are many and very deep, and there are folks in teen's life that kick up drama. 

I have my gym buddy and my gyrotonics sessions, both of which I treasure. They keep a baseline. I just need to figure out how to keep moving on the other days when I am on my own for exercise but often buried under the weight of the fostering intensity. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Thanks! 

Yes, my go-to for coping has historically been reading books or taking walks or talking to someone. Just like you, @Laura Corin. I value exercise with my whole heart, but my natural bent is to read books. To stay still. That's where I default, unless I turn to my peaceful wooded walk. I can find peace and cheer in the reading or friend, but I need to keep exercising, too, kwim?

The emotional situation is going to be ongoing for as long as foster teen is with us. Teen does not mean to be difficult, though teen's needs are many and very deep, and there are folks in teen's life that kick up drama. 

I have my gym buddy and my gyrotonics sessions, both of which I treasure. They keep a baseline. I just need to figure out how to keep moving on the other days when I am on my own for exercise but often buried under the weight of the fostering intensity. 

I have started to find that swimming gives release too - I can push hard without hurting myself. I am lucky in having three municipal pools within 30 minutes drive though. 

• Like 3

Thursday I did not feel well, but had a 10 minute walk.

Friday, I was in a TKD class taught by an 80yo man who has held TKD classes since the early 1960's. I learned a lot.

Today, I spent 30 minutes doing pattern practice and lifting weights.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I started 28-day beginner wall Pilates 4 weeks ago and just finished my first pass through the program.  I enjoyed it, lost a half inch in my waist, and am going to make a pass through the program again.  I combine it with walking each day.

Edited by Reefgazer
  • Like 3