Menu

Outdoor furniture? Brand recommendations or advice

Tap

We are looking at buying outdoor furniture for our patio. It will be outside permanently but under a cover. It will get some weather but shielded for the most part. I am looking for L shaped or a 3 person couch and either a 2 person  couch or 2 chairs. We don't need a fire pit because we already have one picked out by UKIAH. We have a smaller fire pit made by them and boyfriend wants the fire table that dances to music as well. Our budget is about $2000 but can go higher if needed.  

Any suggestions? It is hard to buy on line and few stores have samples in our area.  I don't want cream cushions due to dogs, and if I had a choice I would pick blue. 

what's your winter weather like?  will they have covers in winter?  do you plan on bringing in cushions during the winter? (or at least storing them where they will get no sideways rain on them.)

Costco has great selection online of various sets.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

what's your winter weather like?  will they have covers in winter?  do you plan on bringing in cushions during the winter? (or at least storing them where they will get no sideways rain on them.)

Costco has great selection online of various sets.

Good questions! PNW . Rain in winter, some snow but temps below freezing are uncommon. Cover keeps the bulk of rain off, but sideways rain is possible. 

I don’t have a brand to rec, but I’ll say a few things about the type you might consider. 
1) I would go with the options that aren’t “L” shaped. We’ve had a 2-seater loveseat with 2 separate chairs for about 4 years. It’s amazing how many times we’ve moved that around to accommodate who we have sitting out and what we’re doing. 
2) with this product, I’d say price does tend to equal quality. My cushions were basically paper thin when we started and totally flat now. My set was $400 from Amazon. My next door neighbor has a set from either Home Depot or Lowe’s and it’s amazing how much more comfortable her cushions are. I’d say anything in the $2000 price range would be pretty good quality. I’d look first at Sam’s and Costco and go from there. 
3) I wouldn’t get beige, but you already know that. It can look weathered and stain easily. We went with blue and it has hidden stains well from three kids/teens. 

If I was buying right now, I’d get something like this. My friend had the two chairs that rotated and I loved them. 

IMG_5720.png

• Like 1

Hijacking this with a question.

Do the covers actually keep the cushions dry? Serious question. Growing up my parents had outdoor seating with cushions and no matter what they always seemed wet. 

My outdoor seating is currently limited and nothing has a cushion. None of my neighbors have outdoor furniture with a cushion either. Actually, I do not know anyone locally who has outdoor furniture with cushions. Here When it rains it pours.  

We gravitate towards wood pieces, or wrought iron, and if we use cushions, we do not leave them out. Regardless of claimed quality, we have found that cushions do not hold up. 

We have something similar to this, and Mark puts a new coat of sealer on it as needed to make sure it remains in good shape.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/c/outdoor-dining-furniture/outdoor-dining-sets?t=7924&featuredproduct=18087769&featuredoption=30166141&ci_sku=24247023-000-000&cnc=US&cid=323904&type=pla&targetid=&track=pspla&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pspla&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn__k7KeNhQMVtZHCCB1DggVoEAQYAiABEgIpQ_D_BwE

• Like 1

I stalked Kathy Kuo home, Wayfair and Bed bath and beyond. I wasn’t looking for L-shape because we have a round patio set up but really like the quality of outdoor aluminum sets, powder coated, with thick Sunbrella cushions. Our couch has white cushions, covered, and hasn’t had any mold issues since we put it out in October.

https://www.houzz.com/product/203354839-tahoe-outdoor-patio-powder-coated-aluminum-2-piece-left-facing-chaise-sectional-modern-outdoor-sofas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHP said:

Hijacking this with a question.

Do the covers actually keep the cushions dry? Serious question. Growing up my parents had outdoor seating with cushions and no matter what they always seemed wet. 

My outdoor seating is currently limited and nothing has a cushion. None of my neighbors have outdoor furniture with a cushion either. Actually, I do not know anyone locally who has outdoor furniture with cushions. Here When it rains it pours.  

I try to put my cushions in the garage if it’s going to rain. Otherwise it does take a while for them to fully dry if they get soaked. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 10:49 PM, Tap said:

Good questions! PNW . Rain in winter, some snow but temps below freezing are uncommon. Cover keeps the bulk of rain off, but sideways rain is possible. 

Even under cover - you want covers on them if they have any exposure.  even the humidity in winter will get to them.  put cushions away in something moisture proof. (I have mine in black plastic in a weatherproof shed/structure. I have covers on mine in winter, even in my pavilion to protect them from weather. I also cover them in summer when a lot of rain is expected.  -- yeah i know it doesn't happen often, but it can happen.)

My biggest regret is not buying resin frame type.  (I have teak.  It requires care. granted, I've had it for 15 years . . .) Now, they make furniture out of the same stuff as the resin (can't think of the name) decking material/durawood? - so you can have the look of wood with durability in the PNW.  It can be pricey - but it will last and be low maintenance. 

we've had some weird storms the last six months.  my front door is fairly sheltered - but there was so much rain coming in sideways it was wet. (unusual because - it's sheltered from the direction of most storms.)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 1:01 PM, mmasc said:

I try to put my cushions in the garage if it’s going to rain. Otherwise it does take a while for them to fully dry if they get soaked. 

I don't have a garage or any outdoor storage. Unless I bring them in and take them to the attic they would be stacked in living space. 😞

• Like 1

I cannot find it but I think someone here mentioned the term sling fabric. I had never heard it before but this is what I have been trying so hard to find. Since using the term I am finding what I want

Edited by SHP
  • Like 1

Plastic wicker looks just like the real thing but is far more durable and MUCH easier to clean than teak.  

I try to find plastic wicker furniture that feels nice to sit on even without cushions, which a good design will because it flexes just a bit, and then also buy thick cushions for it that I bring in at night to avoid dew wetness.  IME covers lead to mold or mildew.  Once a year we move all the furniture to the basement, much easier than with teak because it is more lightweight, and then out again in late spring.

We have stacking wicker chairs from Costco that have served us very well and were reasonably priced, and Portofino chaises with a little side table that I bought as a set from Costco online.  And a dining table from Ikea that has not held up at all.  It is acacia.  Big mistake.  Portofino was so comfortable IRL that I felt confident buying it online.  Their cushions are quite nice and thick.

• Like 1