Menu

Screening Mammogram Callback Question

Kassia

I have extremely dense breasts and have been called back for diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound several times after my screening mammogram.  I went for my screening mammogram yesterday and the results came back right away saying I need to come back for an ultrasound, but it didn't say anything about a diagnostic mammogram.  I'm wondering if anyone has been called back for just the u/s and was able to skip the mammogram part?  I'm wondering if I'll still need it and the results just didn't show that.

9 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I have always been called back for a follow-up ultrasound. I've always been very relieved that I don't have to face more icky mammograms.

oh, that's good to know!  It's just more time and money since I always end up going for the u/s.  Thank you.

7 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Me! Sensitivity is greater with ultrasound but deep tissue is better visualized with mammo. 

Usually they start with the diagnostic mammogram and, if that's inconclusive, they send me to u/s.  Last year I had a very young ultrasound technician who didn't know what she was doing and she just smashed my breast down as hard as possible to get a good view through the dense tissue.  She spent so much time and was crushing my breast.  She got someone else to help her and he just came in and flipped my breast around and got what he needed at different angles rather than all from the top so he didn't have to crush me.  That was much worse than any mammogram I've ever had!  

• Sad 1

I've had some awful experiences too. It doesn't seem like current tools work well for women with small, dense breasts. I am usually sore for 7-10 days after mammograms.

But, in regard to your question, I have had several follow-up ultrasounds and no additional mammogram. They used to (prepandemic) just do an ultrasound immediately after my mammogram. The last time, though, they did a follow-up spot compression several weeks later and no ultrasound. I much prefer the first protocol.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Fwiw, I started going to a 3d mammo place that codes it as screening rather than diagnostic but the 3d “slices” allow you to see behind dense places. I usually dont need followup ultrasounds anymore. 

I may go somewhere else next time that advertises as 3d. I asked before I went in if it my local place uses 3d mammography and they said yes. But when I was there, they said everyone uses that now, which I don't think is the case. So, maybe they aren't familiar with the newer technology.

• Like 1

I've been called back for just the ultrasound 2-3 times. So much easier and more pleasant. And I think the images were read right then, and I was sent home with the news it was just a cyst. 

• Like 1