Menu

Dd20 has a seven hour layover in Auckland New Zealand

saraha

If she can leave the airport, Butterfly Creek is a nice little zoo thathas a shuttle from the airport. It's primarily native animals, with a big focus on insects-they're a SSP for Wetapunga, which was kind of neat. They were also the one zoo we went to on the entire trip where kiwi were visible-we'd been to multiple zoos and ecosanctuaries that had them and finally saw them during the airport layover.  

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 12:04 AM, dirty ethel rackham said:

It is my understanding that if she is a transit passenger, then she needs to remain in the transit area of the airport. Does she have her NZeTA?  

New Zealand Immigration Transit Passengers

Woah, thank you for this information. Did not even know this existed. We are new to international travel so permission for layovers was not even on our radar. You just saved dd20 a lot of trouble I think. When they booked her flight, it didn’t say anything about this. We thought it would be like dd22 who had a layover in London and went out and spent the day 🤦‍♀️

Edited by saraha

I presume she is travelling on to another NZ location on a domestic flight. The information above is about travelling on another international flight (therefore not having permission to stay in NZ).

The normal procedure if you are travelling on to another domestic location is to clear customs at the international terminal and then transfer to the domestic terminal to check in for the next flight.

You will want to check whether her luggage is checked all the way to the final destination, or whether she has to retrieve it in Auckland and recheck it for the onward flight.

I am not sure about what she can do during that time. I guess it will depend what time of day and day of the week the layover is too.

I am 90 minutes south of Auckland and am happy to answer any more questions. PM me if you don't want too much info out there.

• Like 2

She is just transitioning through Auckland on to Australia, so looks like she will be applying for the transit visa where she can’t leave the airport. It looks on the map though that there are lots of restaurants and shops

Oh, sorry. I hadn't thought about going on to Australia. That is unusual. What a shame she has so much time and can't go anywhere. The international terminal has all the usual overpriced food and shops. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

• Thanks 1

Is not being able to leave the airport unique to certain countries?

DS purposefully schedules long layovers so he has a chance to go to new cities between legs of flights. This spring he's taking advantage of an opportunity to have a layover somewhere in China for the primary purpose of taking the maglev train 🙂 And of course countries like Iceland encourage it.

Curious to learn more. What a bummer if she'll be there and can't see anything! 

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Is not being able to leave the airport unique to certain countries?

DS purposefully schedules long layovers so he has a chance to go to new cities between legs of flights. This spring he's taking advantage of an opportunity to have a layover somewhere in China for the primary purpose of taking the maglev train 🙂 And of course countries like Iceland encourage it.

Curious to learn more. What a bummer if she'll be there and can't see anything! 

Maybe it depends on the type of passport you are travelling on. I think when we had a 4 hour transit in Hawaii DH who was travelling on a Canadian passport could have left the airport but me on an Aussie one would have needed a Visa. 

And when we were in transit on the way home in New Zealand I could leave the airport as Aussies don't need a visa to go to New Zealand

Mind you that was close to 30 years ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Maybe it depends on the type of passport you are travelling on. I think when we had a 4 hour transit in Hawaii DH who was travelling on a Canadian passport could have left the airport but me on an Aussie one would have needed a Visa. 

And when we were in transit on the way home in New Zealand I could leave the airport as Aussies don't need a visa to go to New Zealand

Mind you that was close to 30 years ago

That makes a lot of sense--thanks!

He said something about China now offering 7 hour(?) transit visas that allow for outside exploration, as long as you're actually headed somewhere else. I think I have the details right; I trust he does.

• Like 1

On a practical matter, for European transit, coming in and out of Schengen areas can add hours to your airport experience. With Iceland as an example, if you are transiting from the US and going on to UK, they purposefully route you through Terminal D (arrive in Keflavik in D, connect from D) so that legally you are not in a Schengen zone and required to go through customs.

Likewise, once you are in Schengen, it’s easy to stay in Schengen, but hours add on trying to leave Schengen because of passport control. 

In OP’s situation, she’s permitted to be in transit but not to technically enter national space. 

I suspect with ETIAS about to roll out for US citizens traveling to Europe (supposed to be this year, now next year) , flying to London via Paris, as an example, may have similar restrictions if you dont have ETIAS. 

• Like 1

As to passing a 7 hour layover, assuming her bags are checked through and she is remaining only in the transit zone and not having to do a visa check for the next country or any sort of customs…

walking around…I assume she is coming off of a long haul and she will be sore

downloaded Netflix episodes…we like seasons of tv shows for this reason. Young Sheldon has been a hit for all ages in our family. 

Reading books on the Libby app

human care…potty, washing your face (washcloth in a ziplock) + fresh deodorant, eating a meal or two, drinking a ton of water and then stopping two hours before departure

recharging your external battery and phone (there are “condoms” you can put on a usb to ensure your phone isnt getting hacked

Plan that she will lose an hour exiting the plane and finding her new gate and an hour on the other side for preboarding. If she has to do customs and visa check, add at least two more hours to be safe.

Auckland has sleep pods for under $200 if she is desperate for a place to sleep. 😴 I recently got a hotel airport room for only 4 hours and I have zero regrets. I did 24 hours awake recently also and….I am no longer young. It took me 3 days to fully rebound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2