Menu

Swim bottoms

Ottakee

I need new swim bottoms.  I love my Lands End Board shorts and bike shorts versions.  They are expensive though.  Are there other brands out there that are cheaper but hold up well and look good on a 50s mom with heavy legs?

chlorine resistant would be awesome as I do water aerobics once a week.

i love the lands end tankini tops so might just get that from them but cheaper bottoms would help the budget 

Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for, but these are my favorites. They are actual swim bottoms with the panty liner, so not just cover-up type shorts. I first found them years ago as a tankini set at Sam’s. In season, Sam’s will still carry them sometimes at around $25-30 for the set, but lately they’ve been carrying more Xero Exposure sets, which I don’t like as much. If I don’t buy them at Sam’s, I’ll use the Free Country website, or sometimes JC Penney has them. 

Edited by mmasc
Typos

Ottakee, I have a cheap pair of swim capris from Amazon. I think I paid $15. I got them four years ago, and they are still going strong. I chose capris because so wanted a one and done bathing suit so I can go from beach, to kayak, to sailboat. It is not fun paddling for two hours in something that rides up, and if I crewed the sailboat in board shorts, I would probably end up with my thighs burned because I tend to forget to reapply sunscreen. Amazon has some board shorts for $25 that also have a pocket. 

• Like 1

Great ideas.  Thanks.   I also need some super lightweight shorts with liner or ??? For summer backpacking swimwear.

we will be heading to backpack an island.  I can’t hike in shorts but will want something decent (aka not see through when wet) to go in the lake with that will also be quick dry….and super lightweight 

8 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Great ideas.  Thanks.   I also need some super lightweight shorts with liner or ??? For summer backpacking swimwear.

we will be heading to backpack an island.  I can’t hike in shorts but will want something decent (aka not see through when wet) to go in the lake with that will also be quick dry….and super lightweight 

My swim capris are definitely not see through, and they have a built in panty. However, I don't do a huge amount of hiking so I don't know if they would be comfortable for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beth S said:

I have a pair of Avia shorts like this in black, I got them a few years ago, the pocket design  is a bit different. I’ve worn them in the pool many time each month over the past year and they have not faded and really don’t show signs of wear. Very durable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

The ll bean vista camp shorts maybe? No liner but super light weight.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I use swim leggings for this. I need the uv protection when I am out in the sun, they dry quickly, and I can snorkel or move in the water without giving a show. It’s also handy if you are coming in out of rocky bottomed places by swimming in backstroke (had to do that this week so I didnt get coral cuts). My legs brushed against lava made rocks as I hit the shoreline but I didnt get scraped.

Dd just bought the Holipick ones from amazon for $20. The ones I have are several years old, but I dont see them in stock right now. 

• Like 1

Lands End often has sales on their swimsuit pieces, especially in the fall.  It can be hit-or-miss as far as color and styles available, but I have been able to pick up a number of basic swimsuit pieces over the years inexpensively.  I have a pair of navy board shorts from Lands End that purchased at a greatly reduced price by watching for their sales.

• Like 1