Menu

February craft /sewing/ knitting / anything creative thread

I am just over half way through a crocheted flower cardigan. I decided to make a linen lining and attach the flowers to it and to each other, so there will not be any sagging and stretching

The good thing about this is I have pinned all I have made on and can see how many more I need to make, and can move them around to spread out colours and flower designs as I go

Hoping to have it finished by the end of this month

• Like 8

On 1/26/2024 at 7:17 PM, madteaparty said:

So thoughtful, the bookmarks.

where is the “she hated being impressed” quote from?

I just realized that I never answered your question, @madteaparty. All the quotes on that particular bookmark are from Naked in Death by J.D. Robb.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before Christmas, my 12 yo granddaughter asked me to teach her to crochet…she’s left handed and we failed miserably.

She taught herself last month and just finished a scarf for her brother. I am so very proud of her! 

Added: when I stopped sewing for my grandkids a few years ago, my DIL packed up my patterns, fabric and taught herself to sew. These Jammie’s are just one pair of maybe 20 she made last year…She makes really great hoodies that everyone in our large family wants! 

Image-1.jpeg

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I finished a pair of "by request" pajama pants for my dd this week. I used the free Adult Yoggers pattern from Petite Stitchery. The fabric was very accommodating by having alternating up and down columns that I could take advantage of when cutting out the leg pieces. Initial reviews are very positive!

PXL_20240208_024340663.jpg

PXL_20240208_024427290.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

On 2/5/2024 at 4:13 PM, KatieJ said:

Before Christmas, my 14yo granddaughter asked me to teach her to crochet…she’s left handed and we failed miserably.

She taught herself last month and just finished a scarf for her brother. I am so very proud of her! 

Image-1.jpeg

She did a great job! I'm left handed and my aunt tried to teach me to crochet years ago. We too failed miserably. I eventually taught myself when I found a booklet that had both right and left handed instructions. For future reference (how old is your granddaughter?) there's a YouTube channel and website called The Crochet Crowd. It's run by a man called Mikey (Mike) and for almost every project he posts both right and left handed instructions. I've often used it when making one of his projects. You might pre-watch it and if you think it appropriate let her find a project there with lefty instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCrochetCrowd

https://thecrochetcrowd.com/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

She did a great job! I'm left handed and my aunt tried to teach me to crochet years ago. We too failed miserably. I eventually taught myself when I found a booklet that had both right and left handed instructions. For future reference (how old is your granddaughter?) there's a YouTube channel and website called The Crochet Crowd. It's run by a man called Mikey (Mike) and for almost every project he posts both right and left handed instructions. I've often used it when making one of his projects. You might pre-watch it and if you think it appropriate let her find a project there with lefty instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCrochetCrowd

https://thecrochetcrowd.com/

Thank you! She is 12! She told me she is looking up stuff online. We didn’t get into any deeper as we were out for dinner , but I’ll check it . 

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 3

I accidentally taught my dd to knit left handed. It was because she was sitting directly in front of me and so it looked at good from my angle and from her angle she was doing the same as me..she was 8  she is right handed.. She entered a speed  knitting competition at a local fair. She was the only child entry so knitted with all the old dears. They came up to me afterwards and told me.😳

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I accidentally taught my dd to knit left handed. It was because she was sitting directly in front of me and so it looked at good from my angle and from her angle she was doing the same as me..she was 8  she is right handed.. She entered a speed  knitting competition at a local fair. She was the only child entry so knitted with all the old dears. They came up to me afterwards and told me.😳

I know exactly nothing about knitting. Is there a problem with knitting left handed? I never even thought about it.

17 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

No problem but according to the old dears very unusual 

Well, as we would say here, "Bless their little hearts!" 😆

My brother is left handed,but was taught to throw (base ball), right handed along with several other things. I wonder if most left handed knitters were taught early on to do it right handed.

15 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

No problem but according to the old dears very unusual 

15 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I wonder if most left handed knitters were taught early on to do it right handed.

I've tried to learn to knit but just find it too difficult to follow patterns. I can only knit truly left handed. Most instructions will tell lefties to just knit continental style which isn't actually left handed. You're still working the needle with your right hand. When I knit I have to work it with my left hand because I'm one of those lefties who has trouble doing things right handed. I work the yarn from the right needle to the left. I've never found a pattern that has left handed instructions so I have to turn every pattern backwards in order to read it. For whatever reason it's easier to do that when crocheting.

15 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

My brother is left handed,but was taught to throw (base ball), right handed along with several other things.

I could never do that and when I was in school they didn't have gloves for lefties (ones that go on your right hand). One reason I was terrible at baseball is that I can't throw with my right hand so if I caught the ball - which was rare - I'd have to take the glove off to throw it. That gives too much time to a runner. I was taught to play guitar right handed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've tried to learn to knit but just find it too difficult to follow patterns. I can only knit truly left handed. Most instructions will tell lefties to just knit continental style which isn't actually left handed. You're still working the needle with your right hand. When I knit I have to work it with my left hand because I'm one of those lefties who has trouble doing things right handed. I work the yarn from the right needle to the left. I've never found a pattern that has left handed instructions so I have to turn every pattern backwards in order to read it. For whatever reason it's easier to do that when crocheting.

I could never do that and when I was in school they didn't have gloves for lefties (ones that go on your right hand). One reason I was terrible at baseball is that I can't throw with my right hand so if I caught the ball - which was rare - I'd have to take the glove off to throw it. That gives too much time to a runner. I was taught to play guitar right handed.

That stinks!

Here is a picture of the throw quilt that was hastily slobbed together because one of my honorary kids lives where there are a lot of blizzards but doesn't have enough blankets. It is all of the flannel strips left from making flannel scarves for stocking stuffers, with two layer of flannel for the "batting" because I have ugly flannel my mother in law gave me that needs some sort of usage that doesn't make me look at it 😆, backed with flannels and bound with it (have decided that this many layers of flannel is a pain the patootie to sew on my machine and results in far too much fuzz in the bobbin compartment). It is not a measure of good sewing technique, just fast technique. We are having a warm spell now, but there is bad wed rather predicted for them in the next two weeks, cold, and possible power outages. My middle son is visiting this weekend, and will take it back to them.

IMG_20240209_121436.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Working on this Christmas wall hanging for my guest bathroom.  It’s an Edyta Sitar pattern and I’ve wanted to make one of hers for a long time. The background will be the color around the top star. 

Also have just started a quilt block exchange project with dear friends. We took last year off due to health issues w three of us, but we’re back at it this year. It’s me, my two sisters, and two longtime dear friends in Texas. Every month we make 10 blocks and send two to each person. At the end of the year we all have the same collection of blocks and it’s fun to see what we each do with them.  ETA: Ignore the blue blocks  below- it’s a different project- Fat Quarter Shop mystery quilt block of the month. I dislike the fabric line they chose- looks very dated without the benefit of being vintage!

IMG_7286.jpeg

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Working on this Christmas wall hanging for my guest bathroom.  It’s an Edyta Sitar pattern and I’ve wanted to make one of hers for a long time. The background will be the color around the top star. 

Also have just started a quilt block exchange project with dear friends. We took last year off due to health issues w three of us, but we’re back at it this year. It’s me, my two sisters, and two longtime dear friends in Texas. Every month we make 10 blocks and send two to each person. At the end of the year we all have the same collection of blocks and it’s fun to see what we each do with them.  

IMG_7286.jpeg

This is really pretty.

• Like 2

I just whipped this up in under and hour. I found this panel for $3 at a quilt store. It has a MINOR, like you have to look hard for it, flaw thus the price. I knew my viking bachelor boys would love it. I put a casing on the back, sewed it right sides together, flipped and finished, then straight stitched the grey borders and around the triangle mountains. They don't have any wall decorations because they are not allowed to put holes in the walls to hang anything. The 25.5 year old has been in this apartment for 5 years! So this will take a 1/4" dowel hung on 2 of those 3M sticky hooks. 

IMG_20240209_144359.jpg

• Like 11

23 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

A while back, there was a leftie in my 4-H sewing club whose first project was so wonky. I then realized that she was having an issue cutting out the fabric and that (smacks head) Extension lacked left handed shears.  Apparently the young lady had no idea that left handed scissors existed not having encountered them at school or at home.

We right handed people just assume that left handed people must "adjust" or something. That compensation might be a lot for a young mind to process!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I love it! Are the flowers attached to each other, or is there a hidden under layer that they are affixed on?

I made a lining from some linen fabric I had, and attached the flowers to each other and to the lining. I didn't want the whole thing to sag. It is also very fitted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1