Menu

FYI Lego Year of the Dragon Set at Costco

cintinative

I saw someone with four in her cart, so if you want it I would run, not walk.   This is the set: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/auspicious-dragon-80112?consent-modal=show

They also had a bunch of other Year of the Dragon stuff like plates, moon cakes, and some other special snacks.

ETA: If you are a betting person, Reddit is saying they are marked down at some stores. So maybe??

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

what age are you looking for?   The Lego store has an $8.99 coupon for it (10%) with Lego points.
if it's marked down or not will depend on how it sells at your local Costco, and how much the manager wants to get rid of items that aren't selling at full price.

2ds is really into Lego - and just bought a dozen red Lego roses for 1dd's bd.

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

what age are you looking for?   The Lego store has an $8.99 coupon for it (10%) with Lego points.
if it's marked down or not will depend on how it sells at your local Costco, and how much the manager wants to get rid of items that aren't selling at full price.

2ds is really into Lego - and just bought a dozen red Lego roses for 1dd's bd.

Oh we are past Lego buying ages. I was just posting for information.  😃  Reddit said one Costco had theirs marked down 25%.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

Oh we are past Lego buying ages. I was just posting for information.  😃  Reddit said one Costco had theirs marked down 25%.  

2ds is 30, he's my biggest lego consumer.  Collector sets, of course . . .

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cintinative said:

Lego buying age is a highly variable thing! 🤣🙄😉

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cintinative said:

I wish! We have so very many but they just don't do anything with them anymore.

I finished my home theater.  I have a snack bar, with plans to put "treats", etc. on the counter . . . toe-tap. . . .The Millenium Falcon is now sitting there, and that thing is HUGE. (2'W X 3'L ) at least I bought a 'stand' for it (and a light set - those were his Christmas present the year he bought it.) so it's tilted and not flat.  But every flat surface now has something on it.  I have a couple dvd cabinets (we never use dvds anymore, everything is loaded on our Plex server), he suggested we could get rid of them and put something there that will hold . . . . more Lego . . .  sigh.

and he kept the boxes because he considers them "investments".

• Like 1

@gardenmom5I know what you mean. For us it is more that the entirety of the closet floor is covered plus two storage things with five bins plus those parts sorter things people use for screws but we use for legos plus I just realized we have under the bed boxes also. Sigh. None of it is still built though.  We do have every box as well. 🤪

Has anyone assembled this set yet? Any feedback on complexity or time involved? I bought this set to do with my boyfriend’s 10 yo grandson.

Boyfriend, grandson, his 16 yo son and myself will build it. Im thinking 1-probably no more than 2 hours of a casual chatty build?? Letting the boys do the bulk but still participating. 1171 pieces. Boys are casual lego kids. 

Does that sound about right? Trying to decide if it is realistic for an after dinner build

On 1/12/2024 at 5:31 PM, cintinative said:

I saw someone with four in her cart, so if you want it I would run, not walk.   This is the set: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/auspicious-dragon-80112?consent-modal=show

They also had a bunch of other Year of the Dragon stuff like plates, moon cakes, and some other special snacks.

ETA: If you are a betting person, Reddit is saying they are marked down at some stores. So maybe??

Costco's price is $67.99.  that's their retail price.   Is it possible someone is confused because it's less than the retail price elsewhere?

12 hours ago, Tap said:

Has anyone assembled this set yet? Any feedback on complexity or time involved? I bought this set to do with my boyfriend’s 10 yo grandson.

Boyfriend, grandson, his 16 yo son and myself will build it. Im thinking 1-probably no more than 2 hours of a casual chatty build?? Letting the boys do the bulk but still participating. 1171 pieces. Boys are casual lego kids. 

Does that sound about right? Trying to decide if it is realistic for an after dinner build

It's rated for 10+.    If you've got four people working on it (three of whom are older), I wouldn't imagine it would take very long.
2ds was talking about it, making jokes about it, suggesting I get it for a friend who is REALLY into dragons . . . . . So I bought it and put it away for his birthday.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cintinative said:

It's $89.99 on Lego so maybe?

Costco is almost always going to be cheaper as their base price.
"sale" is the Costco monopoly which originally was listed at $39.99  Then $29.98, then $19.97.  That very last digit is the tell of if it's their regular price, or a sale price.  (there's another one for clearance, never coming back.  Dh bought every single case (36?) of blue wilderness cat food because it was at $9.9_ something.  they weren't going to stock it anymore.  He said people were looking at him weird.  lasted 18 months.
But that particular costco will put things on sale like that.   It's a manager decision. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Costco's price is $67.99.  that's their retail price.   Is it possible someone is confused because it's less than the retail price elsewhere?

It's rated for 10+.    If you've got four people working on it (three of whom are older), I wouldn't imagine it would take very long.
2ds was talking about it, making jokes about it, suggesting I get it for a friend who is REALLY into dragons . . . . . So I bought it and put it away for his birthday.

Sometimes Costco does have different prices in different areas. Even in the same city. My daughter lives in a less expensive area/state than I do, and sometimes things have lower price at her Costco. Stores in places like Hawaii markup some  prices due to transportation costs but not all. In early Dec I bought a Christmas decoration that was almost sold out at one store on markdown for 15$ off. The same item was still fully in stock at another store 15 miles away and full price. 

It doesn’t look too complicated so I think you’re right. It shouldn’t take too long

24 minutes ago, Tap said:

Sometimes Costco does have different prices in different areas. Even in the same city. My daughter lives in a less expensive area/state than I do, and sometimes things have lower price at her Costco. Stores in places like Hawaii markup some  prices due to transportation costs but not all. In early Dec I bought a Christmas decoration that was almost sold out at one store on markdown for 15$ off. The same item was still fully in stock at another store 15 miles away and full price. 

It doesn’t look too complicated so I think you’re right. It shouldn’t take too long

My point was - it was that costco's "regular" price, not a sale price (at least not this early)

I'm near several costco's - one will have "sale" prices that are specific to it.   

On 1/13/2024 at 1:36 PM, gardenmom5 said:

I finished my home theater.  I have a snack bar, with plans to put "treats", etc. on the counter . . . toe-tap. . . .The Millenium Falcon is now sitting there, and that thing is HUGE. (2'W X 3'L ) at least I bought a 'stand' for it (and a light set - those were his Christmas present the year he bought it.) so it's tilted and not flat.  But every flat surface now has something on it.  I have a couple dvd cabinets (we never use dvds anymore, everything is loaded on our Plex server), he suggested we could get rid of them and put something there that will hold . . . . more Lego . . .  sigh.

and he kept the boxes because he considers them "investments".

Is there wall space for a high shelf to display it?  Dsil has his creations in a glass case like this to keep them safe from a cruising baby and two cats. 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fabrikoer-glass-door-cabinet-dark-gray-00242278/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&utm_content=free_google_shopping_clicks_Store_and_organise_furniture&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD27g7ytwwjuls6XwOaCppWYkGqF1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2KitBhCIARIsAPPMEhL-RFYrsiPyLelJs5zUm15oZD7KtiZ481W2DBuSlQLlO75c1SUD8fAaAoLnEALw_wcB

8 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

2ds was talking about it, making jokes about it, suggesting I get it for a friend who is REALLY into dragons . . . . . So I bought it and put it away for his birthday

Your son might be interested in this build which someone did with LEGOs.

esn7e4psutbc1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Image Source: https://preview.redd.it/esn7e4psutbc1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=a9dfc57e4d90bf9c4884d62cc59085e15b67110b

Reddit Thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/1943zkh/dragon/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1dgs and I came across this guy while trying to find him "calming" videos.  I loved his "can I eat it?"
But I'd like his red dragon.

I'm surprised he hasn't done a dragon for the year of the dragon (though maybe he's working on one.)
he's done a Tiger, and a Rabbit previously, specifically for Lunar New Year.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 8:41 PM, Tap said:

Someone did on YouTube and I think 1hr is adequate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1