Menu

Help me find the perfect set of dishes

ProudGrandma

I want to replace my everyday dishes.  I currently have a stone set.  They are red and I love that.   What I don't like about the stone is that they are heavy and they don't fit well in our new dishwasher. 

I love the lightness of corelle dishes,  but I don't like how they look.  

If anyone here has any suggestions for me,  please share.  Thanks 

37 minutes ago, Starr said:

I like Villeroy and Boch dishes. They rarely break, many styles and there are also outlet stores. 

The ones at Macy’s sometimes have a chip or hairline crack. We have a few nice pieces and sets from there but we do have to check thoroughly.

I like this one

D80F622E-E7C5-4002-A2C3-69C325D95AE4.jpeg.e06e552c6b2015cb74006d4ee470459d.jpeg

and have this one

6B9ABBF4-9344-4B86-BE32-A9F6C085A88B.webp.ed4965ed815448f491b9a0d7640ccb61.webp

• Like 1

Botanic Garden by Portmerion is great.  It’s very attractive, less heavy than stoneware, but still substantial.  

If I were looking for a new set right now, though, I would start with the thrift stores.  Seems like old bone china is very cheap these days, and it’s light but substantial, very pretty, and less breakable than other dishes.  Maybe you would find just the thing!  

I also like the strawberry pattern from Franciscan Ware, which is no longer being made but easy to find on EBay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Botanic Garden by Portmerion is great.  It’s very attractive, less heavy than stoneware, but still substantial.  

If I were looking for a new set right now, though, I would start with the thrift stores.  Seems like old bone china is very cheap these days, and it’s light but substantial, very pretty, and less breakable than other dishes.  Maybe you would find just the thing!  

I also like the strawberry pattern from Franciscan Ware, which is no longer being made but easy to find on EBay.

Botanic garden is not microwave safe. (I know they say it is) My kids will overheat the plate in the microwave and it will craze.  it will also chip.  and the flowers have faded over time in the dishwasher.   If I had it to do over - I would not buy Portmeirion.

I grew up with Correll - when there were four choices.  blue, gold, green, and plain white.  (we had the green, and I *hated* it.).   when dh and I married, he had the blue, which was OK (it was patterned after the Blue Onion china patterns)  They've since come out with tolerable patterns, if I don't care too much.  I'm too cheap to start over.  and there are other things I don't like about correll, but it is generally more practical.  (but then there is the fact that when it gets old, it can shatter into a gazillion shards)

Edited by gardenmom5

It sounds like you might like porcelain or bone china. I have (and love) Fiesta, but they are definitely heavy. However, my Christmas dishes are porcelain and they are a very nice weight—not heavy, but more substantial than corelle for sure. It doesn’t sound like you’d be interested in solid white, but Costco has a lovely set of Mikasa bone china dishes $20 off right now, making them (I think) $79. 

Good luck! I’ll be following along, as I do on ALL dishes threads.😁

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The ones at Macy’s sometimes have a chip or hairline crack. We have a few nice pieces and sets from there but we do have to check thoroughly.

I like this one

D80F622E-E7C5-4002-A2C3-69C325D95AE4.jpeg.e06e552c6b2015cb74006d4ee470459d.jpeg

and have this one

6B9ABBF4-9344-4B86-BE32-A9F6C085A88B.webp.ed4965ed815448f491b9a0d7640ccb61.webp

That’s too bad about cracks, wow. Our more current dishes have been from the outlets or eBay.