Menu

Well-trained bodies - November

Laura Corin

@Soror Great photos! Those rocks look so fun for climbing!

Got in a really nice dog walk this morning in the woods. We did a double loop with a few other dog owners and their dogs to try to really tire out our dogs. No successful, but it was fun trying. 😉

Then watched the finals for the Billy Jean King Cup tennis, where Canada won! So fun to wach. It is like the Davis cup, but for women. 

• Like 5

Trying to get something in each day. Monday was just 15 min on the treadmill. Yesterday was 15 min yoga, 1 bodyweight circuit, and a 15 walk with dd. Today I'm just about to get up off the nice comfy sofa with a Labrador snoozing at my side and do a fitbymik cardio workout. Yep, getting up right now...

ETA: I really did it. 21 min cardio done.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 4

Nothing this week. I've got a cold (tested negative for covid) and it is just knocking me out. I was in bed all afternoon yesterday with a stuffy nose and headache and melted my brain with youtube videos. Today does not really look any better, though I will make an effort to be upright more frequently, as my lower back has complained about laying about in bed so long. Does sitting up count as exercise? 😄

• Sad 4

Gyrotonics today. Always a relief. 

I found out today that the woman who comes in for a session immediately after me is 80 years old. Wow! She doesn't look it at all. She looks and moves as one who is much younger. My gyro instructor told me this woman does gyrotonics 3x a week, plus pilates once a week, and something else once a week (I forget). She's determined to maximize her mobility right up until the very end. I want to be like her when I grow up.

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 4

On 11/15/2023 at 3:04 PM, knitgrl said:

Nothing this week. I've got a cold (tested negative for covid) and it is just knocking me out. I was in bed all afternoon yesterday with a stuffy nose and headache and melted my brain with youtube videos. Today does not really look any better, though I will make an effort to be upright more frequently, as my lower back has complained about laying about in bed so long. Does sitting up count as exercise? 😄

I'm sorry you are feeling rough.

3 hours ago, maryglo said:

I gained a lot of weight due to stress. And it's sad.

I hope you come out the other side soon. Stress eating is a real thing  - your body knows you need energy to escape the sabretooth tiger. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually started feeling better yesterday afternoon. I still have a cold, mind you, but the experience is much more normal. I think the chemo pills have weakened my system. Today I went for a 20-minute walk.

ETA: I had an MRI early this morning, and got a call from the doctor telling me everything looked great!

Edited by knitgrl
  • Like 5

Just managing to snatch quick brisk walks most days. Yoga didn't happen last night - suspected family emergency that turned out to be false alarm.

Good swim this morning though - 750 metres including a bit of a sprint, as I wasn't tired from yoga. We are celebrating Thanksgiving today, but may well go for a gentle walk round the village later. 

• Like 4

I did a 20 min Yoga for a Healthy Body (or something like that)--Yoga with Adriene.  Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment--need to get ready for the school week but also still have the kids home and want to enjoy that. I think I'll get them to do the Christmas decorating today. We need to get our Christmas card picture done today too--it's basically the only time of year (besides Christmas) that we're all together.

• Like 4

I switched grade levels this year and pretty much haven’t exercised since school started. I’ve made it to aqua fit a few times and gone for some walks. Did get a fit bit so at least I am tracking all the walking I do at school.

Have gained weight and need to get a grip, for sure.

Did yoga and walked yesterday and am sore today! Headed to the hot tub now 🙂

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I switched grade levels this year and pretty much haven’t exercised since school started. I’ve made it to aqua fit a few times and gone for some walks. Did get a fit bit so at least I am tracking all the walking I do at school.

Did yoga and walked yesterday and am sure today! Headed to the hot tub now 🙂

Glad to have you here! There are always seasons of less exercise or more exercise. Good for you for getting back in the saddle. 

• Like 3

So, not much exercise going on here. I was recovering from my cold, when on Monday, the dr. told me she needed my blood work for her appointment the next day. So, that ruled out any form of exercise that afternoon, and I still didn't feel quite up to TKD. Tuesday, I had a new infusion treatment that knocked me out for a few days, and then Thanksgiving. Yesterday, we went to an afternoon performance of the Nutcracker, which was fun, but I am still not totally recovered. Fortunately, I was told I could hold off on the chemo pills for a few days, so that's always nice. Today, I made myself go for a 20 minute walk to start things up again after almost 2 weeks off.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I did a 20 min Yoga for a Healthy Body (or something like that)--Yoga with Adriene.  Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment--need to get ready for the school week but also still have the kids home and want to enjoy that. I think I'll get them to do the Christmas decorating today. We need to get our Christmas card picture done today too--it's basically the only time of year (besides Christmas) that we're all together.

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Did yoga and walked yesterday and am sure today! Headed to the hot tub now 🙂

59 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

So, not much exercise going on here. I was recovering from my cold, when on Monday, the dr. told me she needed my blood work for her appointment the next day. So, that ruled out any form of exercise that afternoon, and I still didn't feel quite up to TKD. Tuesday, I had a new infusion treatment that knocked me out for a few days, and then Thanksgiving. Yesterday, we went to an afternoon performance of the Nutcracker, which was fun, but I am still not totally recovered. Fortunately, I was told I could hold off on the chemo pills for a few days, so that's always nice. Today, I made myself go for a 20 minute walk to start things up again after almost 2 weeks off.

Sending encouragement to the overwhelmed and poorly. 

Just a brisk walk in freezing weather today. Then a quick trip up the hill this evening to see the Northern Lights for the first time. Quite faint under a full moon, but definitely there.

On Monday I'm going for a fitness assessment,  which will be interesting. 

• Like 4

I hit the gym first thing this morning and it was good to be there.

My holiday workouts were practically non-existent. I went to the gym last week Monday and Wednesday, and I also did gyrotonics on Tuesday. Then from there it was just a lot of driving--out across two states to join the family, then back. Then driving back and forth to another city just over an hour away for family visits for foster teen. So the weekend was awash in driving and teenagers.

The one good thing I did over the weekend was hang on the teeter board. It's always good for my back and hips and neck. Last week my knee went all wonky and it's been up and down since then. I'm pretty sure it's off kilter due to hypermobility issues--it's not painful all the time. Rather, there are periods when it is normal. I would think that if there was a tear or injury that it would be always painful rather than feeling better sometimes.

The teeter board seemed to help my knee on Saturday, so my other goals are (1) to make sure I hang on the teeter board tonight before bed and (2) to force myself on it at least a couple days in a row. I need to keep this as a regular part of my routine and do it every 2-3 days no matter what, but I really struggle to make myself do it. I get irrationally scared when I go down (like shaking and panting) and have to breathe through it for a few minutes. I keep trying to remind myself how much it helps, but inevitably when the board speeds up to go down the last bit, there is a tiny slide and the catch at my feet and next thing you know I am just flooded with fear. Then I acclimate and am okay, but I have to keep my feet super tense and flexed at 90 degrees--it's fine but it's also not comfortable, kwim?

When I step OFF the teeter board, there is immediate relief. Inevitably everything feels better. That's why we have this contraption and that's why I do this. It really does help. It's just hard to make myself do it.

• Like 4

@Harriet Vane It's so hard to keep doing these things that are not fun, but help with our health. Great job! 

I'm still getting in the daily walk in the woods once and often twice a day. I really enjoy these walks, otherwise I'd be so tempted to skip them. It's not that fun getting all dressed up for whatever the weather is these days, and make time for the walks on work days. They are so good for my mental and physical health, though. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went for a fitness assessment today, just to see what I need to be working on at this stage.  My hand strength was good, flexibility excellent, overall strength average but aerobic capacity below average. 

As my knee doesn't allow me to run anymore, and my brisk walks don't seem to be doing it, he suggested persevering with the swimming.  My yoga class moves to Monday from January, so I can push the swimming on Fridays. Maybe I should pull out the Nordic walking poles again to improve the work out on my walks.

• Like 4

TKD this evening, with sparring. I started with a very helpful upper level belt. Then I had to spar against this little kid half my size and he started out with his fists flying. He was then told I was new to sparring and that he needed to dial it down, which he did. I also feel more confident about learning the new pattern.

• Like 4

Thursday  - second of three festive work lunches, but managed to order fish. Weirdly no vegetables came with it. Those who ordered turkey got a single brussels sprout. Fish was good though.

Yoga in the evening  - I took it easy, skipping a lot of chaturangas. 

Friday - heading for the pool, then spending the day starting to write my last essay of the semester. Eta managed to swim 800m.

The temperature is hovering around freezing but with no wind - lovely.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4