Menu

Homeschooling: The dog that caught the car??

Sneezyone

This article was published this week and raises questions we've been exploring here for a decade re: ethnic/religious diversification and safety in schools. There was/used to be hostility toward public education but homeschoolers no longer fit that mold. The data bears out opposing trends nationwide. What trends are you seeing now and where?

https://wapo.st/46SlG7k

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I'm seeing a LOT more unschooling, both online and in person.  I'm also seeing a lot more online programs, this is mostly on Facebook.  I feel like some of the "old school" homeschoolers are more open about their disdain for public school, government, etc.,  which I don't think is new,  just that they are  feeling more comfortable verbalizing it, or maybe its a response to the influx of new homeschoolers that are more willing to use public resources, like k12, that's both online and in person. 

Strictly in person, there is definitely a pervasive idea that schools are all incredibly dangerous. There is a lot of fear.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flexibility and bullying are two of the main drivers of homeschooling here, but parents are often looking for a replacement for public schooling:
-pods
-online classes
-hands off for the parent/has a separate teacher
-place to go when the parent has work

The number of families trying to make working and schooling happen at the same time has increased quite a bit.

I run a science center for homeschoolers that I've been doing since before Covid (2017).  There are definitely some differences now from before Covid, but since I'm a secular science center I've never had mostly religious students, unless it was religions other than Christian.  I do have quite a few students of other religions, but the vast majority of my students seems to have left school due to bullying or special needs not being met.  We have a few with high medical needs, Tourette's, ASD, ADHD, and similar.   We're small enough that younger kids with special needs can have older siblings close by if needed for comfort or to help with anything that comes up.  We're a drop off program but have a lobby where parents can stay if they want. Between all my teachers we have a ton of experience with neurodiversity, with one of my teachers having years of experience in a ASD school, one has a lot of experience with their own kids, one of my younger teachers is ASD herself.   We like being the place where the ND kids can feel comfortable and successful.  That was something that was very hard to find for my own (ASD, ADHD, anxiety) kids.   We also have quite a few LGBTQ+ kids attending.  

• Like 2

In my neck of the woods, homeschooling always had a healthy cohort of religious homeschoolers and free-spirit, "hippy" homeschoolers.  Even back in the day, there were pockets of both, and even families that were both simultaneously.   I have seen an uptick in the past 15 years of "middle of the road" homeschoolers, those who are homeschooling for practical reasons, not just philosophical reasons.  Their child was bullied, or falling behind, or was the square peg that didn't fit in the round hole, so they are doing it themselves. 

• Like 3

Yes, more “practical” homeschoolers rather than philosophical ones. More people aware of how very poorly ps does many things, esp in our city schools. More parents advocating for their kids and seeking a better fit instead of just suffering through.

Definitely more hybrid-schooling with tutorials instead of old-school homeschooling. No “mix n match” with ps in my state. 

Still plenty of Christian homeschoolers here, still the majority.

I honestly haven’t been paying attention recently. We’re in our own little bubble of homeschoolers we’ve known for 5-10+ years already, in the community we’ve lived in for some of our kids’ whole lives.  
I do know that I’m very fortunate to know many leftist non-religious homeschoolers (whether overall or just when it comes to schooling) who value public education even when it’s not what works for them. And I’ve known them for a very long time.

I don’t have the patience for new homeschoolers online. Face to face is fine, but I can’t bother to respond to threads with tons of contradicting information and much of it useless.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t have the patience for new homeschoolers online. Face-to-face is fine, but I can’t bother to respond to threads with tons of contradicting information and much of it useless

I've dropped all but a few homeschool social media groups too.   So much misinformation that it was not possible to combat it all.  Newbies with elementary kids giving "advice" on how homeschoolers have to get GEDs and can't go to college were the ones that were driving me the most crazy.    So many people just being loudly wrong when they had a choice to just be silent.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 1