Menu

Teaching technology in homeschool

happynurse

My kids are in 6th, 3rd and 1st grades. I've come to the realization recently that most kids my kids' ages (or at least my oldest's age) are quite adept at using technology. I don't mean Nintendo and iPads, but using laptops for assignments, communication with teachers, etc. We don't do any of that. We've just begun learning to type.

I'm definitely a late adopter when it comes to tech (I'd write checks and drive to the post office every day if I had to 😄), and I really hate society's dependence on screens for survival. That being said, if my kids ever went to a b&m school, I'm afraid they'd be a little behind because of the high-tech aspect. 

Has anyone had experience with this? Did your child pick up on the modern technology when he/she had to? Did you teach it in some way? I'd love advice and thoughts. Thanks!

My son's classrooms were very digitally enhanced last year.  He went from mostly paper and pencil to mostly online.  It wasn't a huge deal, and he adapted fine, but he was annoyed by it.  We had dabbled over the years with a few Zoom classes and some other things like learning to code, but even when he learned to type it was offline (we used TGTB's program because it came in books) and the coding started out as offline and gradually moved online.

Friends of ours went from no technology to a school with integrated ipad use and lots of tech.  They had a few more stumbles but were pretty proficient by the middle of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They learn it fast. Don’t stress!!

We did typing and a once a month online class in 6th. So my student had an email address at that point.

With learning to write essays in 7th and 8th, we did intro to MS Word and MLA format. Also simple Power Point for presentations for scouting and a couple of outsourced classes. Scouting and outsourced classes also used email.

In 9th, Dh got her started in Excel and she used APA format for a Bio research paper. And Zoom! Bc that was 2020! Though she’d already had an online course each year since 6th - but the rest of the world was just learning how to do it! 

She learned Chicago/Turabian format in 11th.

We used the BSA cyber chip materials for internet safety. Several of her outsourced classes taught what is an acceptable source and what it not, and how to document online sources. 

My son went from homeschool with minimal tech to school with minimal tech to high school with everything digital no problem. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

My kids don't use computers for typing assignments until high school.  I have them start learning to type in middle school.  That is it.   I help them search for information when they are younger than high school, so it is a joint effort.  We then print hard copies of any information they need.  Other than dd using Skype for her Russian lessons, she has no need to use a computer.  (We watch you tube videos or things like A to Z news together.)

Not a problem.  They have had zero problems adjusting to needing a computer for all things college.

• Like 1

Yeah, last year I sent my kid to the public school for 3rd grade end of the year testing (not required, just curious). First time she ever used a computer to take a test. She did the first math problem, then sat there for 1.5 hours, thinking she was finished and didn't realize there was a "next" button to click...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

You could do an outschool class for the experience--it doesn't have to be ON the topic of technology.  It could be a writing class or something that requires use of it or simply platforms that are used in schools.  My son is taking pre-algebra through Mr. D Math, and he has already done two assignments using Excel Spreadsheets.  There are easy ways that will not stress you out to incorporate it if you want to feel better about things.  We haven't done much, but I am glad my son is already getting Excel experience.  That's pretty cool---and truly useful. 

• Like 1

I set up a Google classroom for my middle school age twins when I taught them Scratch. It was good experience for them - they learned how to use a LMS, take a quiz with a Google form, upload and download files (file management). They learned word / Google Docs while completing Lantern English courses. I taught them basic keyboarding and mouse skills starting in 2nd grade, followed by typing with typetastic. They are learning Google Slides right now via some assignments in our current literature course.

I'll be teaching them Digital Citizenship, Photoshop/imade editing, Video editing in Premiere, Python programming followed by OOP with C# and game and app programming in C# / Xamarin before they graduate high school. 

• Like 1