Menu

Crosspost: Inexpensive online courses in English, math, history, and science for 11-year-old and 13-year-old?

MercyA

I'm asking for a relative who has 4 kids and is a veteran homeschooler. Due to circumstances, she really needs two of her kids to do some school online this year. She's looking for English, math, and history for the 11-year-old and science for the 13-year-old. Secular preferred. Doesn't need to be fancy. Cannot be too expensive. She doesn't like the one program she's tried so far. (Alas, I do not know the name, but it's something you pay for monthly.)

I have no experience with this. Any recommendations would be much appreciated! 

CTC math is easy for a kid to do totally independently, and not very expensive. And they have family pricing that is super reasonable if she wants all the kids to do it. 

Khan has middle grades science for the 13 yr old. She could do one of those, or pick modules from the different courses offered. It's free.

Khan also has language arts courses for both age ranges, not sure how great they are, but are free. 

Reading Express for the 11 yr old has spelling and reading comprehension and isn't super expensive. 

History.....honestly I'd throw one of the volumes of Curiosity Chronicles or Story of the World at the kid, and leave it at that, and maybe watch some documentaries together at night before bed. Both those texts have audio editions available. 

• Thanks 1

discoveryk12.com is similar to Easy Peasy but is secular.  

A complete program for grades 6, 7, 8  athomemiddleschool.com 

A one year grammar course: www.englishgrammar101.com

Middle school (grades 6-8) math videos and worksheets at MasterMath.

History program mostly for middle schoolers up  https://www.heritage-history.com/

The above are all free.  Have her check the e-resources on her public library system.  Ours has free access to Universal Class and others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For history I'd give them a list of books to read and watch some documentaries.  It doesn't even have to all be the same topic or time period.  The Who Was.... series is great if they haven't already read them.  No online, but also not any work to monitor. 

Math- possibly Khan for the 13 year old, Alcumus if you want more practice with harder problems.   Teaching Textbooks? 

English- what are the goals here?  I've scene games and aps based on grade levels for things like grammar and spelling.  Outschool classes for writing.

• Thanks 1

it sounds like she was using Time4Learning. UGG!

Calvert Homeschool is all online and affordable. Can be monthly, but has a yearly, too. Cost per child decreases the more you have using it.

https://calverthomeschool.com/

I have one child who chose the Monarch version (same but Christian) for this year. He loves it!

If her state is low regs, just focus on the basics for the year.