Menu

Which spelling do I want?

Karen in CO

I've tried enough spelling to know what I don't want and what I do, but I don't know which spelling program has what I want.

I just want one that has a logical sequence of rules and then words that follow that rule with maybe some review. I Just really need the list of rules and words. I don't want ways to practice or pages of exercises. I don't want just a list of words - I want some reason for how they are organized. Maybe a spelling program isn't what I need. Maybe I just need a good book on how to teach spelling.

Thanks.

My spelling page has links to many older online spelling books with rules, also a link to a page with many of the rules. My spelling lessons (about 2 hours total) teach most of the rules.

A good book teaching a lot of the rules and how to teach spelling is "How to teach any child to spell" by Gayle Graham. I like the companion notebook, that's all I bought since I know the rules already. The notebook allows the student to organize the words they misspell by pattern and rule. They're inexpensive.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellingforsucce.html

I've done level 1 of a spelling program for my daughter. It's got the rule as copywork, a list of words that illustrate the rule and dictation sentences that use the rule and those previously learned. You can view it at Lulu.

I'm working on Level 2, but it's taking a whole lot longer than anticipated.

I just want one that has a logical sequence of rules and then words that follow that rule with maybe some review. I Just really need the list of rules and words. I don't want ways to practice or pages of exercises. I don't want just a list of words - I want some reason for how they are organized. Maybe a spelling program isn't what I need. Maybe I just need a good book on how to teach spelling.

This is exactly how "The ABCs and All Their Tricks" is laid out: the letters of the alphabet in alphabetical order with all the phonetical sounds they make, a paragraph explaining the reason why, list of exceptions, and then a list of words that progresses from simple to more difficult for you to choose from for making a spelling list.

We use the ABCs, along with additional words from the lists of Natural Speller and from misspellings in the students' writing. We just work our way forward through the book, and when we come to the end (takes us about 2 years), we start again, using harder words from the lists.

See sample pages at: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=0621494&netp_id=133713&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers

BEST of luck in finding what works for you! Warmly, Lori D.

You can use the SWR WISE guide with the spelling rule and phonogram cards that way. The spelling lists comes with sentences (though with a Christian bent, so if you want something secular this wouldn't be it) and lists which rules apply to the words and syllables broken down for you. You wouldn't have to use the rest of the program.

Heather

I've tried enough spelling to know what I don't want and what I do, but I don't know which spelling program has what I want.

Thanks.

How to Teach Spelling sounds like exactly what you are asking for. Exactly. If I tell you how it works, I will basically be giving you the TM for free.

Each lesson builds on previous lessons; phrases and sentences for dictation include words that test the rules that have already been learned. Sight words are also assigned in order of difficulty and incorporated into the phrases and sentences for dictation. The manual also offers a suggested teaching method and typical lesson plan.

Hannah, when do you think you'll be done w/Word Attack 2?

Due to a whole lot of *life* happening, it is taking a lot longer than I had hoped. I'm about half-way through. We're going on vacation for two weeks after Christmas, so it will take at least another two to three months. I don't want to promise anything.

You can use the SWR WISE guide with the spelling rule and phonogram cards that way. The spelling lists comes with sentences (though with a Christian bent, so if you want something secular this wouldn't be it) and lists which rules apply to the words and syllables broken down for you. You wouldn't have to use the rest of the program.

Heather

I agree with Heather. We are not religious, but I find most of the SWR sentences are compatible or tweak-able to be secular.

With DS7 we are going to add in Megawords, too, as I think this would make a big difference.

Well we'll see what the others suggested, but you should look at the tm for How to Teach Spelling. It would do what you're describing. It has a rule, word lists, and dictation phrases and sentences that not only practice those words but weave in spiral review of previous words and rules. The lists are extensive in level, ranging from beginner all the way through 12th gr spelling. You could cycle through the entire thing once a year each year for several years. I've had the tm for a while and haven't used it yet, but I've been going back through it considering using it. (so many ideas, so little time) It's definitely a good one though and worth considering. I like Spelling Plus for its spiraling dictation, but the level is too low (only through 6th). HTTS takes you all the way, very handy.

In SWR the words are arranged by frequency of use and roughly within that by difficulty, not by rules.

Edited by OhElizabeth