Menu

World History for 6th grader

tld

Possibly read through all 4 volumes of SWB's Story of the World (secular)??
Vol 1 = ancients (gr. 1-4)
Vol 2 = medieval (gr. 3-6)
vol 3 = early modern (4-7)
vol 4 = modern (gr. 5-8)

Maybe use the Kingfisher Encyclopedia of World History (gr. 4-6) or Usborne Encyclopedia of World History (gr. 4-6) (secular) as a "spine", and add in books all year to flesh out different locations/time periods of interest?

Or use the 7th grade Abeka History of the World (Christian) textbook? Or, if she is a bit more advanced, the 7th/8th grade BJU World Studies (Christian) textbook?

In addition to the other great suggestions, you could consider MOH 1 and 2 in one year, which wouldn't be the whole world but would be good. The BJU 7 is quite engaging and goes through world history more philosophically, which my dd enjoyed. I would suggest using their online video course if you want to do that, because that's where it will come alive. 

For secular, K12 has a number of textbooks you can pick up on amazon/ebay relatively inexpensively. 

Sonlight used to have a core that covered the world via cultures and history all in one. You might consider doing something really different like that.

I've got my girl going through all of CAP'S The Curious Historian books. She is very much enjoying them after having done SOTW 1-3 in earlier years. We do a chapter a day for the most part.

Pandia Press has History Quest you could read through.

Edited by Green Bean

Something fun and light we did that helped review history - I had all the SOTW on audio so I just shuffled the playlist, and we listened to one chosen at random when we got in the car. We would then talk about it casually afterwards for a few minutes.  I also kept a laminated world map in the backseat for the kids to look at if they wanted. 

For a textbook - any of the above work really well.  Make a timeline she can review often, too. (plan a trip)