Menu

Fed my dog cat food. Is this bad?

Drama Llama

My dog eats anything and never turns it down or has stomach upset.  

I sent my kid to the store for a bag of food.  His regular brand was out so he grabbed another, which turned out to be cat food.

Dog has eaten two meals of it.  Obviously we will stop, but I have heard dog food is bad for cats, is the reverse true too?

Edited by BandH
Grammar

• Drama Llama changed the title to Fed my dog cat food. Is this bad?

I’m not even sure it’s too high in protein. That used to be the belief, but then a lot of the premium foods started coming out with super high protein foods, and many of those have as much or more protein as most cat food. Plus dogs who are raw fed get very high protein diets. So I really don’t think it’s a problem. 

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

He'll be fine. 

Cats shouldn't have dog food long term because it doesn't contain enough taurine.

If cost is an issue, you could mix in a small percentage of cat food with the dog food until the bag is gone.

Cost isn’t really the issue I just don’t like waste.  I intended to donate it to the food pantry since my kid didn’t keep the receipt but I left it with the other food and it got opened and fed and the pantry won’t take it opened.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BandH said:

Cost isn’t really the issue I just don’t like waste.  I intended to donate it to the food pantry since my kid didn’t keep the receipt but I left it with the other food and it got opened and fed and the pantry won’t take it opened.  

You can also try an animal shelter if none of your friends and neighbors can use it.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I volunteer feeding a feral cat colony and we love opened bags like that. Maybe there is a trap/neuter/release shelter or organization near you that you can donate it to if you aren't going to use it.

Yep, our shelter will take it. They’ll take unopened expired food too

• Like 2