Menu

Staging and frustrations

DawnM

Ok, so now she has the list up to $3,000 for ONE MONTH of renting this furniture and I don't like ANY of it.  It looks gaudy and flashy and like we are trying to be rich but dont' know what we are doing.

I wanted stated elegance and not THAT!   

She and I are about to have a huge conversation.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Ok, so now she has the list up to $3,000 for ONE MONTH of renting this furniture and I don't like ANY of it.  It looks gaudy and flashy and like we are trying to be rich but dont' know what we are doing.

Yeah, I wouldn’t pay that much either. And since people have a hard time visualizing, that kind of furniture could be more of a turn off than a help.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Alright that's too much and an increase on top of the original!!

I was onboard with the upgrades and the staging, but it's starting to sound like people are just having too much fun.

Even in my crazy house market where you can sell all sorts of houses, "upgrading" new paint and new flooring to really sell a house for a higher price and faster, staging also helps. My mom's realtor who I think did a fantastic job with my mom's house did some staging and upgraded the house (all for <$5k in CA). Granted that would not be a paint job or floor job I would want for my own house. They only put a few pieces of furniture and not in every room I think it was sort of just to make it better than empty (honestly maybe also to hold down the new carpet). That realtor sold that house in a week after just one weekend of showings for 90+ people.  So, I might say if you want me to fork over money for a staging it better sell before I have to pay the next month's fee because you are only going to have it staged for a month.

On 7/9/2023 at 4:14 PM, Clarita said:

Alright that's too much and an increase on top of the original!!

I was onboard with the upgrades and the staging, but it's starting to sound like people are just having too much fun.

Even in my crazy house market where you can sell all sorts of houses, "upgrading" new paint and new flooring to really sell a house for a higher price and faster, staging also helps. My mom's realtor who I think did a fantastic job with my mom's house did some staging and upgraded the house (all for <$5k in CA). Granted that would not be a paint job or floor job I would want for my own house. They only put a few pieces of furniture and not in every room I think it was sort of just to make it better than empty (honestly maybe also to hold down the new carpet). That realtor sold that house in a week after just one weekend of showings for 90+ people.  So, I might say if you want me to fork over money for a staging it better sell before I have to pay the next month's fee because you are only going to have it staged for a month.

So, she called me today and said she still wants to stage it but will split the cost with me.  That is more palatable.   

I did tell her she needs to come back out and look and measure because some of the stuff she picked will not fit!   For example, our sunroom is small and she wanted two lounge chair type things in there.   Even one will dwarf the room.  The sunroom is only about 10x8.   Two Ratan chairs (or teak or whatever) and a little table will be plenty for that room.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, DawnM said:

So, she called me today and said she still wants to stage it but will split the cost with me.  That is more palatable.   

I did tell her she needs to come back out and look and measure because some of the stuff she picked will not fit!   For example, our sunroom is small and she wanted two lounge chair type things in there.   Even one will dwarf the room.  The sunroom is only about 10x8.   Two Ratan chairs (or teak or whatever) and a little table will be plenty for that room.

I would absolutely not pay for staging for someone who is clearly showing they are not good at it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Do you have a friend with a home that has the look you’re going for? Maybe she could help. And perhaps she’d be willing to give up her sofa and such for a week for a fraction of the cost of this. 

No.  I thought of it, but no.   And it is 2 sofas, about 6 club chairs, 5 lamps, 4 side tables, patio furniture, an eat in kitchen table and chairs, night stands, headboard, so it would need to be a lot. 

I am sure there are neighbors with nicer furniture than we have, but I don't know them very well.   

And the photos of homes in our neighborhood that have sold make me wonder if they were staged.   They are "too perfect" if that makes sense.   So, maybe it is a common thing around here and I am just unaware.   Our last home wasn't as expensive and sold with just our stuff.

Edited by DawnM

From what you’ve posted of your home here, you have phenomenal taste. Why don’t you post pictures here & we’ll make suggestions. 

All of this reminds me of the time we sold our house in Oklahoma. Long story short, our realtor was wrong.