Menu

It's time for another episode of, "Stinky Towel Syndrome".

Break down and do some bleach(in your washer with the towels). Also, wipe your dryer with some vinegar, soak one of your towels in vinegar and dry in dryer till it's very dry(don't make it drippy..just normal "wet"). This has helped me....also...check the dryer's hose to make sure no mold or any clothes (socks etc...) are in there...

Carrie:-)

What about using a microfiber towel? Something like this? Microfiber dries much more quickly than cotton. I've been using microfiber dish cloths lately and I can use them longer before they get "the smell." I love the feel of thick, cotton towels... but I would be willing to sacrifice to avoid that smell.

I hope you find something that works! I've never had a problem getting the smell out....but I live in a completely different climate than you and I'm sure that's the reason, rather than my (nonexistent) talent at doing the laundry. ;)

You say you have tried different detergents, but have you tried Amway's?? I'm tellin' ya, it'll change your life, lol. You should be able to find someone local who sells it. Over 30 years of Amway laundry product usage here, different washing machines, different kinds of water, different everything, same excellent results, and never, ever any problems with smelly towels (or anything else, lol).

I have this problem from time to time. I toss 1/4 cup vinegar in the basin of the washing machine and put 1/4 cup baking soda in the detergent dispenser. :) Problem solved. I no longer use detergent on my towels at all and never use fabric softener on them.

Do you do this with other loads, too? Or just towels?

Just with towels, Aggie. I often add baking soda to our detergent because we have hard water. The last two weeks I've been adding Calgon water softener instead and haven't noticed a difference.

We use towels once because hanging them for reuse contributes to a mold issue in our bathroom. The towels are in the basement until there is enough for a load. Odors were a problem even during the summer when I dried them on the line in the sun.

I didn't try bleach because I don't like using it and my towels are all dark blue and I'd like them to stay that way. ;)

I live in the same climate & this is my .02.

Once the mold is in the fiber, the only ways to get it out as far as I'm concerned are

bleach

hot sunshine

boiling

If they're bleachable, try that. You can use small amounts of bleach even on colored items, though of course they will fade just a tiny bit. Make sure you add the the bleach first & let it disperse so as not to create any bleach hot spots in the wash.

If they're dark, I'd wash them with just a bit of bleach a couple times & with the hottest water possible. Whites, I'd put in a whack of bleach and you can just do one wash.

You can also boil them. You need a big pot like a canning pot, and you need a rack at the bottom so that the fabric doesn't lie directly on the bottom or it may scorch. Bring water to boil, then simmer the towel for a few minutes. Turn off until it's cool enough to handle to pull the towel out & wring. My auntie used to have a huge pair of tongs which she used to pull the linens out of the boiling pot into a basin. Without huge tongs, you'll need to wait for it to cool.

Wash them normally after this boiling treatment.

Prevention is the key. Use the exhaust fan when people are bathing/showering or open the windows a crack. Hang the towels as flat as possible.

I think the heat of the dryer is important as well - except when you can get them into hot sun, I think mold will come back if you line dry in our climate.

I think the heat of the dryer is important as well - except when you can get them into hot sun, I think mold will come back if you line dry in our climate.

I think heat is the key and also a bit a bleach every once in a while. Make sure that you dry them on the hottest setting of your dryer and make sure they are bone dry. Also try not to let them stay damp as long. I don't know how often you reuse your towels but I find we can only reuse our towels about 3-4 times before they need to be washed. HTH:)

Apparently water of 155 degrees will kill the "problem" without using bleach (according to the fine folks on the laundry forum).

I'd crank up the water heater for a bit (assuming you don't have a washer with on-board heater - mine goes up to 170), use the vinegar and baking soda and go from there.

I've tried a lot of what was recommended here, to no avail. I'll give the other suggestions a shot and see what comes of it. I have a sneaking suspicion that these towels are at the point of no return, but like I said, I don't want to sink money into new ones, only to have the same thing happen again.