Menu

June and July K-2 Chat

BusyMom5

Welcome all who still have Littles!  I started this thread to build community and share new curriculum and ideas.  Come in and tell us what you are doing, what's working, what's challenging,  and what you are working on!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll start.  I am behind in planning, but June is The Month to get everything ordered.  I'm working on it!  Next year mine are 1st, 6th, and 10th.  They all feel worlds away from each other in terms of understanding and interests.  

Plans for the 1st Grader:

Phonics- I have AAR2 and LoE B out right now.  LoE seems to be her favorite, but AAR is providing a lot more exposure to words and reading.  Planning to go at her pace, so we will see!  

Spelling- Moffatt Girls 1st Grade, and it's all printed out!  My mom likes to help, so I sent it to her. She did each week a different colored paper, laminated all the word cards- this just looks awesome!  My DD can't wait!

Handwriting- McRuffy Kindergarden, has a few words and a sentence or two each day. 

Math- Saxon 1, we started a few weeks ago.  She loves math, and a lot of this is review, but she needs the handwriting practice.  

Games- looking for suggestions!  We have some, but open to new ones!  She's been playing Volcano Island (adding and subtracting within 20) and I can already see some things sticking!  She uses an abacus or beaded string.  She also plays Monopoly Jr and knows her doubles from that, lol!  

She told me today that she wants to do science like the big kids.  I know I won't have time to do what I want (DIY unit studies with crafts, books and movies).  Anyone know of anything like Weekly Readers?  Maybe a magazine?  My Pals are Here?  Something easy for me, that makes her feel like she "has science" too?  We've done Usnorne sticker books, and I have a lot of science books we will read.  I think she wants a workbook or something that looks schooley.

Very seriously considering Write Shop B.  Anyone used it?  Thoughts?  Wait a bit?  

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 3

• BusyMom5 changed the title to June K-2 Chat

I really like Beautiful Feet- Seasons afield for science… I wouldn’t buy all the books- just the manual and the books that are needed all year (brambly hedge, watercolor in the forest & slow down).  I’d aim to do it over 2-3 years, repeating things, getting to skipped items.

My plans for 2nd grade:

heart of Dakota beyond 

Continue seasons afield

Continue around the world in picture books

Continue Five in a Row (rotated with ATW)

AAR2/3

AAS 2/3

Handwriting without tears

Math with confidence 2

hoffman academy

FLL 2 (we skip stuff)

Edited by Nm.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Games- looking for suggestions!  We have some, but open to new ones!  She's been playing Volcano Island (adding and subtracting within 20) and I can already see some things sticking!  She uses an abacus or beaded string.  She also plays Monopoly Jr and knows her doubles from that, lol!  

Do you guys have Sum Swamp? That’s one my kids have enjoyed. 

• Like 1

I've started working on planning for what we want our next year homeschool to look like. I've picked out all the curriculum, but I haven't purchased all the pieces yet (just getting my rainbow resources order to $50 with stuff I actually want).

The thing that I'm having a hard time piecing together is Language Arts. The way we started the journey basically has us doing every piece of Language Arts separately.  We enjoy each separate curriculum but it's making Language Arts into this giant beast with a lot of parts, and no one has the stamina to do all the things everyday. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around how to plan doing some things 2 or 3 times a week and not "everyday", but still be flexible because stuff happens (we want to spend more time on something or life or whatever). 

• Like 1

I am trying to wrap my head around schooling 5 and not 4. We only consistently did Math with preschooler. Writing and Phonics were every other day. She wants to do the other subjects like her siblings so I might buy a few unit studies that she wants to learn about do them when we both feel inspired to do more than the basics but I'm still not sure they will even get done since I find it really hard to change routine. 

As far as curriculum goes my first grader will be doing Logic of English D, Beast Academy 1/2, and some Brave Writer on occasion. That is all. We did Singapore Math for Pre-K and K but he started on Beast Academy and loved it and after some research, I think we'll stick with it. We've done Logic of English from the beginning. 

That takes us an hour and a half max and then he is free to be a kid. That's the main reason we homeschool. Anything else is interest-led. We just read lots of books. I don't plan on doing formal science or history until 4 or 5th grade.

Edited by fostermom
  • Like 1

Yes I feel for you @alysee except I'm moving to 4 not 3 with 2 younger and a not very independent oldest...

@Nm. I'm trying Beyond little hearts with my 2nd grader too. There's not much in our Roman study for him ... he'll listen in on our Gospel readings but that's all. 

2nd grade plans

Beyond little hearts history, geography, grammar, poetry, oral narration practice

daily Copywork either from beyond little hearts or Simply Charlotte Mason

AAR 2 maybe into 3

Alice and Jerry and Cowboy Sam readers

AAS 1 maybe start 2

RightStart B/C

3x week Berean Builders Science in the beginning because he loves science and wants experiments. I read a lesson on the moon to him and he liked it...My bigger ones didn't love it really but this one is different.

K4 plans

My very eager 4 yr old who loves to "do school" 

RightStart A at her pace

Finish AAR pre and move to Foundational Phonics letter mastery

Play with various Montessori math and reading stuff with siblings

A Year of Playing Skillfully

Bible memory with brother

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clarita said:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around how to plan doing some things 2 or 3 times a week

We alternate grammar and writing every other day until 6th grade-that helps it not feel like so much.

Everything is ordered and now I'm just trying to plan it all out and make it work for my schedule too (along with the older boys and the preschooler):

LA: FLL2, Writing Strands 2, Dictation Day by Day, finish Ordinary Parents Guide and read other books.

Math: R&S 2

Science: we're starting the rotation of Berean Builders books back at Creation

History: SOTW 3

Geography: ds11 is doing a geography year so ds6 will be learning about the country (maybe playing a game from the area and cooking something) along with his brothers and doing some seterra.

Starting Greek this year with Hey Andrew

Piano, art

That's all I can remember. Ds6 is thoroughly enjoying summer, although I hear "I'm bored" every once in awhile. Academic things he's doing on his own include Google map scrolling (older brother picked up a lot of geography from that) and reading (he is determined to read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by himself 🤷‍♀️)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

She also plays Monopoly Jr and knows her doubles from that, lol!  

We love "99 or Bust" in the early grades.  It's a card game that uses addition and encourages number sense because there's strategy in when you play a high value card versus a low value one.

We also like Monopoly Jr, but I swapped out some of the $1 notes for $2 and $5 from the big set.  That way they're practising addition (and subtraction if making change) and not just counting while they play.

I'm going to buy a tablet this year.  Although it's mainly for the oldest, I think there could be some value in literacy/numeracy apps for the 6 year old as well.  Do any of y'all have favorites you'd recommend for handwriting, grade 1/2 math skills, maybe phonics?  (This kid is reading but guesses rather than using the phonics tools she knows.)

I’m so excited that this is the last week i have to record what we do for the charter school. No charter school next year for my 2nd grader. YAY! I feel free, almost there!!! Next year will be so different (well Saturday and after as we light school during summer while i work.) I plan to be outside a ton and plan gatherings here. My 2nd grader is extremely shy, but he isn’t in small groups at home. It really was sad for me to see him not playing and running with the other kids after the charter school classes. He is always grinning so it was just me feeling sad. Two years ago he wouldn’t even talk in public so he has made lots of progress. Now I just need to find him more friends. So many friends moved away over the past two years.

Math like games: rush hour, number ninja, chess, rummikub, and the mind.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

Phonics- I have AAR2 and LoE B out right now.  LoE seems to be her favorite, but AAR is providing a lot more exposure to words and reading.

AAR readers were great with LOE for us. I loved that they were easy to read, yet had lots of words on the page so they made chapter books feel accessible after LOE D.

• Like 1

I have tons of books like those at home...I think I'm going to pencil in some that I already own;). I've used some of the emerging readers and have tons on my shelf.... he's not ready yet though. I like the history books so that's what I'm excited for!

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 12:11 AM, BusyMom5 said:

Welcome all who still have Littles!  I started this thread to build community and share new curriculum and ideas.  Come in and tell us what you are doing, what's working, what's challenging,  and what you are working on!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll start.  I am behind in planning, but June is The Month to get everything ordered.  I'm working on it!  Next year mine are 1st, 6th, and 10th.  They all feel worlds away from each other in terms of understanding and interests.  

Plans for the 1st Grader:

Phonics- I have AAR2 and LoE B out right now.  LoE seems to be her favorite, but AAR is providing a lot more exposure to words and reading.  Planning to go at her pace, so we will see!  

Spelling- Moffatt Girls 1st Grade, and it's all printed out!  My mom likes to help, so I sent it to her. She did each week a different colored paper, laminated all the word cards- this just looks awesome!  My DD can't wait!

Handwriting- McRuffy Kindergarden, has a few words and a sentence or two each day. 

Math- Saxon 1, we started a few weeks ago.  She loves math, and a lot of this is review, but she needs the handwriting practice.  

She told me today that she wants to do science like the big kids.  I know I won't have time to do what I want (DIY unit studies with crafts, books and movies).  Anyone know of anything like Weekly Readers?  Maybe a magazine?  My Pals are Here?  Something easy for me, that makes her feel like she "has science" too?  We've done Usnorne sticker books, and I have a lot of science books we will read.  I think she wants a workbook or something that looks schooley.

Very seriously considering Write Shop B.  Anyone used it?  Thoughts?  Wait a bit?  

You asked about WriteShop B. I have used D & E and it got my reluctant writers to write! It was helpful because even telling some of my kids that they can tell me a story and I will write it down was too intimidating. It helped my natural writer realize eith a bit of planning it can make stories better. It's definitely a middle ground between Brave Writer & IEW. I am thinking about using it for my upcoming kindergartener in a few years.

Edited by alysee
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, alysee said:

I am trying to wrap my head around schooling 5 and not 4. We only consistently did Math with preschooler. Writing and Phonics were every other day. She wants to do the other subjects like her siblings so I might buy a few unit studies that she wants to learn about do them when we both feel inspired to do more than the basics but I'm still not sure they will even get done since I find it really hard to change routine. 

I know it doesn't look like I have this many kids, but I did homeschool 5 for years.  My older ones are graduated now, and doing well in college.  My tips-

1.  Be realistic with your time.  You are one person and you cannot do everything for everyone.  I would write out a schedule,  just like a public school teacher would, and plan out who I would be helping at each time.  Rotate as needed.  For years I would spend 3 hours of my day on math.  Every day!  But my kids really needed someone to teach them individually,  so that's what I did.  Since I knew math needed me, I tried to pick more independent LA.  I would write out weekly checklists for each kid, so they knew what to do.  For science and history,  I combine when I can.  You will probably need 2 different programs going, depending on their ages and grades. History I read aloud or we watch a movie.  Occasionally Map work, but usually discussion.  Science- once I had high schoolers I did spend about an hour a day on science.  If the Littles can join in, great!  If not, Magic School Bus, Usborne books, or other picture books.  My 7th grader has probably had the most hodge-podge science ever bc of her age and abilities.  She's 3.5 years behind the next kids, so it's often hard to bridge.  She has done tons of experiments with them, but doesn't have the depth.  She has a lot of general knowledge,  though!  She has read soooo many science books, and even enjoyed a few textbooks. It's okay to let these subjects drop a bit with the younger ones.  They pick up a lot from watching the older ones, being involved in experiments, and watching videos. 

2.  Stay organized.  This is so much more important,  the more kids you have.  Pick programs that are easy to move around the house as needed.  I would keep each kids stuff on a file size tub, so I could easily bring it to another room or outside.  I pull out about a months worth of stuff, so I'm not lugging everything.  Try to keep up with paperwork as it comes in, bc it piles up quickly!  I try to do the high schoolers at least every weekend or two,  so I can keep up with their grades.  Younger ones, I just don't grade.  If you have to track stuff legally, stay on that every week.  I try to finish school by noon on Friday, grade.  Then on the weekends I'll take a few hours to look over my next week and get everything organized and planned.  It makes such a big difference in how my week goes!  

Best of luck! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

I know it doesn't look like I have this many kids, but I did homeschool 5 for years.  My older ones are graduated now, and doing well in college.  My tips-

1.  Be realistic with your time.  You are one person and you cannot do everything for everyone.  I would write out a schedule,  just like a public school teacher would, and plan out who I would be helping at each time.  Rotate as needed.  For years I would spend 3 hours of my day on math.  Every day!  But my kids really needed someone to teach them individually,  so that's what I did.  Since I knew math needed me, I tried to pick more independent LA.  I would write out weekly checklists for each kid, so they knew what to do.  For science and history,  I combine when I can.  You will probably need 2 different programs going, depending on their ages and grades. History I read aloud or we watch a movie.  Occasionally Map work, but usually discussion.  Science- once I had high schoolers I did spend about an hour a day on science.  If the Littles can join in, great!  If not, Magic School Bus, Usborne books, or other picture books.  My 7th grader has probably had the most hodge-podge science ever bc of her age and abilities.  She's 3.5 years behind the next kids, so it's often hard to bridge.  She has done tons of experiments with them, but doesn't have the depth.  She has a lot of general knowledge,  though!  She has read soooo many science books, and even enjoyed a few textbooks. It's okay to let these subjects drop a bit with the younger ones.  They pick up a lot from watching the older ones, being involved in experiments, and watching videos. 

2.  Stay organized.  This is so much more important,  the more kids you have.  Pick programs that are easy to move around the house as needed.  I would keep each kids stuff on a file size tub, so I could easily bring it to another room or outside.  I pull out about a months worth of stuff, so I'm not lugging everything.  Try to keep up with paperwork as it comes in, bc it piles up quickly!  I try to do the high schoolers at least every weekend or two,  so I can keep up with their grades.  Younger ones, I just don't grade.  If you have to track stuff legally, stay on that every week.  I try to finish school by noon on Friday, grade.  Then on the weekends I'll take a few hours to look over my next week and get everything organized and planned.  It makes such a big difference in how my week goes!  

Best of luck! 

Thank you! My 5yo wants to be a big kid so bad. I'm hoping to do a morning Basket for kindergarten since I know I can find 20min to read a book, talk about it and have her draw a picture. Just trying to figure out all the moving pieces along with not short changing the big kids. I usually organize myself on Fridays when the kids are with my MIL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

Best of luck! 

Not the original question asker, but thanks. My 4.5 yr old so wants to read and "do school" that I'm looking at doing a bit for her in the fall...that makes 3 in school, 1 preschool, 1 two yr old and a baby! Also LA is not independent at all for oldest as he has dyslexia...neither is math for anybody..... I think I'm going to totally need a schedule, but somehow it seems a bit silly and my babies don't really schedule (we just have cozy routines). Baby will be about 3mo old. I do moby wrap alot and can nurse on low chairs while teaching math (btdt 3X now). 

I think I need a rotating toy, activity, mama time, play with siblings plan for the 2yr old and 4 yr old so they don't get board and lonely.....any bright ideas....we have Montessori stuff but then 2 yr old messes up 4 yr olds spindle boxes or something else disastrous:-)

4 hours ago, alysee said:

You asked about WriteShop B. I have used D & E and it got my reluctant writers to write! It was helpful because even telling some of my kids that they can tell me a story and I will write it down was too intimidating. It helped my natural writer realize eith a bit of planning it can make stories better. It's definitely a middle ground between Brave Writer & IEW. I am thinking about using it for my upcoming kindergartener in a few years.

Glad to hear this about WriteShop. I have level E planned for my very reluctant 7th grader and creative enjoys writing 5th grader.

• Like 1

DD got really into pyramid solitaire to practice making 10 for awhile. Sleeping Queens is fun, not a ton of practice but they ask to play it in their free time.

We were just accepted into a charter program where I can teach her myself and use any curriculum but get a stipend for secular curriculum and extra curriculars. I'm hoping that it works well because the stipend will be helpful! We will use it for gymnastics classes and a Yoto player for sure. Still trying to figure out what else I want to use it for, any fun ideas?

I have AAS 1, FLL1, AAR 4, and MM1 planned for next year. Also thinking about BFB Seasons Afield and WWE1.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

We were just accepted into a charter program where I can teach her myself and use any curriculum but get a stipend for secular curriculum and extra curriculars. I'm hoping that it works well because the stipend will be helpful! We will use it for gymnastics classes and a Yoto player for sure. Still trying to figure out what else I want to use it for, any fun ideas?

We go through something similar. We use the funds for a PE class, we get less funds but all curriculum (consumable and non-consumable) that they have is free (they have a decent selection). I know some people use it for art classes, tutoring, music, foreign language, school supplies... Personally I usually use the funds for consumables things like classes because if I use it for non-consumables I'm suppose to return it to the school and I don't want to keep track of that.   

We are checking out all. the. books. from the library when we hit up their summer events. DS7 is on a roll, reading several to me each day. He is happily in the level 2 readers, which are fluffy and not challenging. I don't plan to spoil his fun by making him read what he can instead of what he wants to.

He is also finishing LOF Butterflies tomorrow. He doesn't consider it math. Beginning next week, we will do 2 lessons LOF and 2 lessons CLE math per week. He has had 2 weeks off of CLE now and I am already seeing some of those quick facts slipping. However, I am also seeing him recognize relationships in other number scenarios. Today his brother said he had to do something for 30 minutes, and he exclaimed that half of that is 15 because two 10s is 20 and the 5s together is another 10. 

I need to get Mind Benders 3 for the start of the new school year, because he loves those and wants another ASAP. I don't want to do more than math and reading for summer, though. Maybe art, but no other book work. Momma needs a break!

• Like 2

Math games: If you are ok with computer time, my older ones all loved the Prodigy math game. Try teaching chess.

Little Man is still working on Dimensions Math 1B. He will finish chapter 12 tomorrow! I plan to keep going to 2A when he's done. If it ain't broke...

I said I would never do it again, but I downloaded the free TGTB K LA wkbk over the weekend, and he has been LOVING it! Just goes to show that waiting until the child is developmentally ready to do something pays off. I made him a little mark off chart for the lessons and readers to track his progress visually. Yes, it's easy for him, but I am in no rush.

We have a few chapters left in our read aloud: The Hobbit. It's a family favorite. He likes to read a few sentences to me, too! I think we may do William Steig's Dominic next as a break from long and epic.

Other than that, he still plays and watches way too much TV. I need a better plan there. He loves watching lawn guys so I found this YouTube channel called SB Mowing where the guy mows lawns for free as a volunteer. Little Man now says he wants to be that guy!

I'm hoping we can get some swim time in this summer while two of my teens are at Church camps. We'll see. It's hard for me to be out in the TX sun for long.

Edited by Green Bean

Just now, Green Bean said:

Math games: If you are ok with computer time, my older ones all loved the Prodigy math game. Try teaching chess.

Little Man is still working on Dimensions Math 1B. He will finish chapter 12. I plan to keep going to 2A when he's done. If it ain't broke...

I said I would never do it again, but I downloaded the free TGTB K LA wkbk over the weekend, and he has been LOVING it! Just goes to show that waiting until the child is developmentally ready to do something pays off. I made him a little mark off chart for the lessons and readers to track his progress visually. Yes, it's easy for him, but I am in no rush.

We have a few chapters left in our read aloud: The Hobbit. It's a family favorite. He likes to read a few sentences to me, too! I think we may do William Steig's Dominic next as a break from long and epic.

Other than that, he still plays and watches way too much TV. I need a better plan there. He loves watching lawn guys so I found this YouTube channel called SB Mowing where the guy mows lawns for free as a volunteer. Little Man now says he wants to be that guy!

I'm hoping we can get some swim time in this summer while 2 of my teens are at Church camps. We'll see. it's hard for me to be out in the TX sun for long.

DS just learned to tie his shoes at newly 7. We tried at 5.5 and I almost lost my mind. I knew intellectually readiness mattered, but it took me 12 years of parenting to really get that aha moment for myself. 

• Like 3

I suppose I can share our curriculum choices as well. 🙂 New 7yo boy, second grade for those who ask. 😉

Daily:

RS English 2

RS Spelling 2

CLE Math (currently in book 204 or 205?)

CLE Reading 2

Others (spread over the year, done one at a time until completed):

2 Bible studies from Not Consumed

RS Patterns of Nature

RS Understanding Communities

Abeka My America

TGTB Health and Physical Body (with many additions by me)

CTC Mind Benders 3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brittany1116 said:

DS just learned to tie his shoes at newly 7

Yup, this, except its still too frustrating for him.

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

lost teeth

At 71/2 he’s lost 6? But 4 of them were recent. My oldest lost hers much earlier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanager said:
2 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

DS just learned to tie his shoes at newly 7

Yup, this, except its still too frustrating for him.

It's frustrating for me too, but there are a ton of shoe options that don't require tying all the time. https://kizik.com/ They are tie shoes that don't need to be tied. 

The shoe tying only bugs me because DS6 plays baseball and the new cleats they have in stock needed to be tied. The cleats get so dirty... I hate tying them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Green Bean said:

How many of our kids have lost teeth yet? Little Man has 4 that are barely wiggly, but most of the kids in his Church class have lost that many or more so far. He's 6 and 9 months old.

Ds who will be 7 in Oct has lost 5 or 6. We celebrate the first one and dh takes them out to ice cream.

• Like 1

My 5yo is obsessed with Explode the Code. She finishes like 3-4 pages a day. Will this teach her to read? I am not sure but she is blending much better. 🤷‍♀️

She is also obsessed with the Unicorn Diaries and Elephant & Piggie series so she's motivated to read. 

Edited by alysee

I think I’m going to stop math for the summer for my 6 year old.  We did a lesson of math with confidence this week and it went great but she doesn’t want to start it until she’s officially in 2nd grade.  We will play math games.  We will also stop AAS and AAR for the summer and just focus on read alouds (to her and to me).    She’s reading through emerging readers from heart of Dakota.  We will do crafts, painting, cooking, nature studies, etc.  She was looking at her brother’s AAR4 cards and reading them with ease.

DS3.5 is watching letter factory quite frequently (my only safe down time- he doesn’t nap).  I’m going to continue before five in a row with him this summer. 

Also pausing school from now until July 5th for older children.  We’ve never had off this much time at once but everyone is in need of a break!

Edited by Nm.
  • Like 3

On 6/7/2023 at 10:00 PM, Green Bean said:

How many of our kids have lost teeth yet? Little Man has 4 that are barely wiggly, but most of the kids in his Church class have lost that many or more so far. He's 6 and 9 months old.

My little one lost her first tooth a few weeks ago,  and tooth 2 is getting pretty loose, too!  She's 5.5.  My kids have all lost teeth early- 2 of them were BORN with teeth,  the others all got teeth by 2 months, and a mouth full by age 1.  If I could pick, I would choose for them to get teeth later and loose them later.  

• Like 1

Get ready for the code A was too simple for my 4 year old because it just goes through the letters. She enjoyed it for a week and then didn't want to do it anymore. I struggled finding something open and go for the pre-blending and just blending stage.

5 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Get ready for the code A was too simple for my 4 year old because it just goes through the letters. She enjoyed it for a week and then didn't want to do it anymore. I struggled finding something open and go for the pre-blending and just blending stage.

You could look at Abeka K4 phonics workbook. I think it starts with letters briefly then does 2 letter blends very quickly. You don't need the teacher book if you know phonics. 

Another idea is Foundational Phonics letter mastery. It is a lot of letter work, but it adds in blending quickly too. I like it between AAR pre and 1.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

Has anyone used ETC Get Ready for the Code with their preschooler? DD 3yo knows all her letter sounds and likes doing school like big sister so I thought it might be a fun way to reinforce until she understands blending

We started right with Level 1 since she could tell us all the letter sounds but couldnt blend more than cvc words. 

On 6/9/2023 at 6:05 PM, Momof3sweetgirls said:

Has anyone used ETC Get Ready for the Code with their preschooler? DD 3yo knows all her letter sounds and likes doing school like big sister so I thought it might be a fun way to reinforce until she understands blending

My DD14 loved those when she was that age. We did them and R&S ABC books A-E twice. I think you could try and see. Other fun things: TGTB Preschool, AAR Pre-AAR, Letter of the Week [I think that one is still free.], Confessions of a Homeschooler has some things, too.

On 6/9/2023 at 9:44 PM, Nm. said:

@Green Bean I’m curious how tgtb pans out for you/him 😂.  I really thought it would be a great fit for DS9 but I was the one who dreaded all the extras after a couple days. 

So far, he's hitting 5-7 lessons a day with zero issues.

I got one like that: my DS18 loves WWS. I detest it, but I'm choking it down for him anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Bean said:

My DD14 loved those when she was that age. We did them and R&S ABC books A-E twice. I think you could try and see. Other fun things: TGTB Preschool, AAR Pre-AAR, Letter of the Week [I think that one is still free.], Confessions of a Homeschooler has some things, too.

I found the Pre-AAR student packet at my library book sale for $8 unopened but haven't decided if it's worth the money for all the other needed pieces. I feel like I can't justify it.

I'll have to look at R&S ABC. I like that R&S and explode the code are cheap, I won't feel too bad if she doesn't like them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Momof3sweetgirls said:

I found the Pre-AAR student packet at my library book sale for $8 unopened but haven't decided if it's worth the money for all the other needed pieces. I feel like I can't justify it.

I'll have to look at R&S ABC. I like that R&S and explode the code are cheap, I won't feel too bad if she doesn't like them. 

You can usually find the teacher book used for cheap. Sometimes homeeducators resource has used cards for cheap. That's all you need. Any alphabet chart will work...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally ordered stuff. I had most things for my little one, but I did buy a few extra books.  I ended up deciding on World Geography (writing my own) and RSO Life 1- as she wants to.  She just wants to do activities and doesn't consider reading to be "science."  I will sort of do this with the 7th grader, so she feels like part of a group.  I'm also helping a friend plan her school, and we might do some science activities together (1st and 2nd grade).  I didn't get everything for my big kids, but I got enough to at least start in July as planned.

My school area is a hot mess!  Piles of books to sort- keep and find a place to store, use this year, or sell.  I have had 2-3 students in the same book for years, so I have several that I just need to sell a copy or two.  Hope I can clean it out over the weekend,  so I can focus on organizing this next year's stuff.  

• Like 2

I have LOTs of school organizing and planning to do.  Pretty settled on most things.  We are taking two breaks.  June & depending on weather- Mid August-Mid Sept.  I’d like to get 6 weeks of their new year’s school done in July- mid august.

• Like 1

We are having a Houston heat wave so no swimming outside. Instead, I have a big "garden" tub in my master bath that Little Man is using as a swimming pool. It's so nice. He "swims", I read The Hobbit, or chill on my laptop without both of us getting burnt. It's too hot to go anywhere.

I sorts decided on his new stuff. TGTB is fun for a summer fling, but not for "real" school for my guy. My schoolroom is pretty empty since I cleaned it out last week. I have so many empty magazine holders now waiting for new stuff. I REALLY REALLY want my own binding machine and supplies this year. After 20 yrs, I think I deserve one. My laminator is dying, too.

Everyone else keeping cool? Got anything fun going on for the younger set?

• Like 1