Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~ June 2023 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Dh's degree will be engineering technology I think - something like that. Dh don't need it to do his job but to be an official engineer and get the pay bump he has to have it. Right now he's an engineering technician. There is no 4 yr degree anything close to engineering locally so it's the only option. This is the closest college he can go to. It's been a slog but he's so close now. Fall will be 3 classes and spring just 2.

I'm surprised he can test out of so many hours. That will certainly help. 

Gotcha. It will absolutely help

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

@Brittany1116 Congratulations on the new car!  I am glad that is finally settled. 

@Shoeless  Great scores at the thrift store.  That is awesome you are finding so much school stuff. 

@HomeAgain Is your ds going to a camp for hockey?  It does hurt to spend all that money at once.

@historically accurate More thrift store scores awesome!  Oh wow your have roller derby by you?  How neat. 

Roller Derby is pretty awesome. DD is almost ready to age up into the 18+ group (which I gotta admit kind of scares me as a mom - some of those bouts are brutal).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

@Brittany1116 Congratulations on the new car!  I am glad that is finally settled. 

@Shoeless  Great scores at the thrift store.  That is awesome you are finding so much school stuff. 

@HomeAgain Is your ds going to a camp for hockey?  It does hurt to spend all that money at once.

@historically accurate More thrift store scores awesome!  Oh wow your have roller derby by you?  How neat. 

I've gotten really lucky, although nothing will top the year a woman gave me about $1k worth of various curriculum for free, (AOPS, Beast Academy, SOTW, MCT, Killgallon, LoF, a bunch of stuff I am forgetting). The only catch was I had to drive to the far west side of San Antonio at 10pm to get it. Her friend was getting divorced, putting the kids in school, and just needed everything GONE NOW. I told DH "stop me if this sounds too crazy...", and he was like "Get your shoes! Let's GO!"

I rode that freebie high for a long, long time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Pointe shoe shopping today.  We will see how much that ends up being.

Dh brought home some leftovers.  Feed us all a great lunch.

Got some surprise money yesterday.

Singed up a few of the kids for a cheaper camp than I was going to.  Saved some money.  Will be singing them up some more for later in the summer too.

Got a huge freebie sample. 

• Like 2

Put in a grocery order

ordered a new computer chair as one of ours fell apart.

bought plans for 2 of our cell phones.  They are our teen/home phones.

Saved $$$$ on not boarding our dog.

Dance spending yesterday 1 pair of pointe shoes.  DD has to see if these work out and then we will order more.  New elastics for other dd.  New jazz shoes for ds. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Got a bunch of stuff donated over the weekend. 

Off to the dentist again today. 

I think we are buying a new computer this week.

We potentially need a new computer and I really don't want to. I'm hoping my dad can figure out what is wrong with ours to fix it. He built it so he knows it well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

We potentially need a new computer and I really don't want to. I'm hoping my dad can figure out what is wrong with ours to fix it. He built it so he knows it well.

Yes, mine is acting up like crazy.  Dh has tried to fix it, but it is still messed up.  I don't want to get a new one as otherwise it is totally fine.

Picked up a grocery order

Donated more things.

Intensive shopping but it has all been covered.

Dog goes to the vet tomorrow 

Still need to order dd1 enough pointe shoes for intensives because she went with a new kind.

DS blew through a pair of ballet flat shoes in 1 week of an intensive, so he will need more than we have for him at this moment. 

Paying for another intensive.

• Like 3

Augh, my dog is having bloody diarrhea. He ate a shrimp that was cooked in butter and spent the night 💩. The only thing he's had today was a little peanut butter to get his allergy pill down and water. 

He's fairly bouncy and happy, but not yet eating. I am hoping he stays bouncy and happy and that we don't end up at the ER tonight. 😞

I swear, this dog has a stomach made.of glass. *One* buttery shrimp in a 100lb dog and it's he's a 💩 volcano. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Shoeless said:

Augh, my dog is having bloody diarrhea. He ate a shrimp that was cooked in butter and spent the night 💩. The only thing he's had today was a little peanut butter to get his allergy pill down and water. 

He's fairly bouncy and happy, but not yet eating. I am hoping he stays bouncy and happy and that we don't end up at the ER tonight. 😞

I swear, this dog has a stomach made.of glass. *One* buttery shrimp in a 100lb dog and it's he's a 💩 volcano. 

Oh no.  That was our dog a few days ago.  Fun times.  I hope that he is able to always get outside before he erupts.  

• Thanks 1

I cut off and hemmed three pairs of kids’ pants into shorts.  While I was taking my dds to the drop off for girls’ camp, I heard another girl commenting, “I can never find shorts like those in the stores!  Where did you get them?”  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Condessa said:

I cut off and hemmed three pairs of kids’ pants into shorts.  While I was taking my dds to the drop off for girls’ camp, I heard another girl commenting, “I can never find shorts like those in the stores!  Where did you get them?”  

To funny, that was all the rage when I was a kid.  Cutting jeans into jean shorts but leaving them unhemmed.  I showed my older kids to do that last year.  Only problem is a lot of our clothes get handed down to the next kid so I didn't want them chopping jeans if they were still in good condition to go to the next kid.  But they have a hole in the knee chop away.

From hip2save

Get a FREE $5 credit w/ a $50 Amazon eGift Card purchase (starts July 3rd)

From July 3rd through July 10th, Amazon Prime Members can get a $5 Amazon Credit with the purchase of a $50 Amazon eGift Card!

Note that you must wait until July 3rd to purchase the $50 Amazon eGift Card in order to get the $5 credit. The credit will be automatically applied to the Prime account that was used to purchase the Amazon eGift Card after the qualifying order has been completed or the order has shipped.

The $5 promotional credit must be used by August 25th

Found a calculus text AND the solutions manual at Goodwill for $5. We're a few years from needing calculus, so I'll list it on eBay and hopefully make a few bucks. 

The dog is, mercifully, feeling better. I think he cleaned himself out yesterday. 💩😱

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Shoeless said:

Found a calculus text AND the solutions manual at Goodwill for $5. We're a few years from needing calculus, so I'll list it on eBay and hopefully make a few bucks. 

The dog is, mercifully, feeling better. I think he cleaned himself out yesterday. 💩😱

Awesome score! 

I am so glad your dog is better.

Filled up for 3.17 a gallon again.  $27

Wrote a company and got a refund because the discount code didn't work on my order the way it was supposed to.  $32

Ordered dd1 a bunch of new pointe shoes.  Had a 20% discount code and used gift cards that I had bought on 28% discount.

Ordering things for ds for his intensive.  All covered on gift cards.

• Like 2

Dh and I ran to Target today.  I found an XL Twin bedding set for $13.10 in the clearance section.  We have xl twin sheets, but the only twin comforter we had was little-kid-ish.  With ds using it for camp this summer, we wanted to give him something more appropriate.  The sheets may or may not get used.  None of us are fans of microfiber.

• Like 4

We have had more padding in the budget than we are used to lately, with tax returns and business share disbursements coming in.  I knew we were being lax and overspending but I was shocked by how far when I got around to going over the budget.  Those funds are supposed to go towards retirement and college savings and towards saving up for next year’s medical deductible, not just be piddled all away.  We’ve got to get back on the ball!

I think I should be able to manage without visiting the grocery store again this month.  I have big batches of granola and yogurt going right now.  I made a double batch of laundry detergent yesterday.  My garden is doing well.  We’ll have tomatoes and peppers ready soon.  My strawberry beds are thriving, and putting out tons of runners now.

• Like 2