Menu

automatic vaccum

gardenmom5

Since none of my minions thing helping mom is on their to do list . . . I've decided a start is getting an automatic vaccum . .    

what are your favorites?

I have bare floors - and wool area rugs (living/dining/entry).  I do have stairs . . ..

I just ordered a cheap one that was on sale at a  big box hardware store. It’s not here yet, but Cass from Clutterbug’s podcast convinced me. She says having one gets everyone in the habit of picking up every night (if you don’t puck up your toys the Roomba will eat them!), and that alone leaves your house feeling much cleaner. 

Can they negotiate doorways and move from room to room or do they need to be restarted?  We have several zones. Each zone has two rooms. Like a lot of Scottish houses, it's designed with small rooms to localise heat.

Edited by Laura Corin

We have two Eufys. The first one is the dumb one - just zoom around like a billiard ball. It did a decent job but left patches undone because of the random approach. So we purchased another smarter one (G30 I think), it has a more systemic approach to vacuuming, so everything gets done.   We have mostly hard surfaces (wood, tile) with carpeting in the bedrooms. I had a rug in front of the door that had fringes on the edges - that did not work well with these, so I replaced that rug with one with no fringes. One of the bathroom rugs (no rubber-ish stuff on bottom more like a thick towel) gets pushed around and sometimes (rarely) causes problems. 

When my dd's cat is here, we run both every day (DH is allergic). When cat isn't here, we just run the smarter one. 

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Can they negotiate doorways and move from room to room or do they need to be restarted?  We have several zones. Each zone has two rooms. Like a lot of Scottish houses, it's designed with small rooms to localise heat.

Ours goes between rooms and through doorways easily.  The only thing that might cause a problem if would be if there was any difference in level (In our upstairs, for example, one bedroom has a tiny step down just inside the door). 

I do need to use doorstops to prop open the bathroom/laundry room doors though because otherwise occasionally the Roomba will accidentally shut itself into the room by pushing the door closed. 

We have a Roomba j7+.  I'm pretty happy with it but haven't tried any other brands. Our first Roomba was a more basic model (battery life got to be a problem for it after a couple of years - it can still do short jobs without needing to charge), but we upgraded for our main floor vac. I like that it is self emptying. 

• Thanks 1