Menu

Math textbook with video, elementary history spine, using IEW without videos - questions for next year!

WhitneyS

Does anyone recommend a math curriculum that is a hard copy textbook, but has videos to go with it? My daughter doesn’t want to do computer based math, but would like to be able to refer to videos as needed. Ideally what she would like is a hard copy textbook with optional videos. Then I can teach her, she can also read the instructions in her book and THEN if she is stuck, she can watch a video. She doesn't want to watch an entire 30-45 minute lesson, she wants a video that is a few minutes long explaining that specific concept. 5th grade. 

*****I know Saxon has Nicole the math lady, but we are not interested in Saxon. Unfortunately while Beast Academy has the video concept we are looking for, she didn't enjoy that program.

We want to explore Ancient history. I would love a spine to keep us moving forward. Any recs? 

I love the look of IEW, but my daughter doesn’t want to watch the videos. Has anyone used the information from IEW and taught it themselves? Would I just need to watch the videos myself first? Hoping there is another way! 

Thank you for your help!

Edited by WhitneyS
Clarity

1. You can look at combining Beast Academy online with the hard copy books.  Use the video lessons to help teach.  Or there's Math U See or Mortensen, or if you have a bright student, perhaps VideoText.  It starts with pre-algebra.

2. We enjoyed these: K-12's Human Odyssey textbook, Reading Like a Historian, and Marion Brady's Investigative History lessons.  K12's HO is probably the most user friendly of the 3.

3. I watched the videos and then taught it, but you start to get a feel for how the material is progressing.  We used the themed IEW books and the instructions in the workbook and teacher's manual were pretty clear and straightforward as well.

• Like 2

Math Mammoth has videos for most topics online. The worktexts are written to the student. She has placement tests. The texts are a bit cluttered but you are encouraged to only do half the problems then do the rest only if you need more practice.

You could slow down Notgrass from Adam to Us and add more side trips into ancient history and go on as you want to.

Without knowing your budget, it's hard to make the best recommendations. I'm going to recommend Math-U-See for math. 

Augustus Caesar's World by Genevieve Foster is good. Guerber's The Story of the Greeks and The Story of the Romans are both good choices. You might like A Child's History of the World by Virgil Hillyer, but I can't recommend it from experience.

Thank you so much everyone! I will look at all these recommendations. 

Budget is totally open. 

My youngest daughter loves beast academy! My oldest doesn’t like it, but *does* love how when she’s used it she can click on a video when she doesn’t understand. I think that’s the video feel she’s going for, but she doesn’t enjoy BA at all. 

Edited by WhitneyS

I taught SWI B without having my student watch most of the videos. We condensed it. I did watch, though. I prepped the whole thing in a couple weeks the summer before. It was useful for helping Dd name some of the tools in her writing toolbox. Andrew Pudewa is funny!

Math Mammoth has videos for most lessons, but they are supplemental, not essential. 

What math are you currently doing, and why isn't it working? I think personally taught math, particularly in elementary school, is very important, so this isn't something I would replace unless you really need to.  If she just wants some math time online, maybe Khan Academy, BA, or even some apps on specific topics.  

We are just finishing the K12 Human Odyssey mentioned in previous posts.  Its okay, easy to read and understand.   If I were teaching it to younger kids, still love SOTW!  A history encyclopedia ( Kingfisher or Usborne) plus read alouds is still my favorite way to teach!  

51 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

What math are you currently doing, and why isn't it working? I think personally taught math, particularly in elementary school, is very important, so this isn't something I would replace unless you really need to.  If she just wants some math time online, maybe Khan Academy, BA, or even some apps on specific topics.  

I am sorry, I did an incredibly poor job of explaining what we are looking for. Let me try again!

She is in private school this year, using A Beka. School has been really rough this year and through a combination of factors, there is zero love of learning at this point for her. Due to my teaching contract we are finishing out the year and then we will begin homeschooling. We are making a clean break from A Beka. We have tried a few different samples of curriculum, most recently Beast Academy. Her sister, my youngest, fell in love with it and is now working through the curriculum just for fun. My oldest really liked Beast Academy in that if she didn't understand the way I explained something, or the book explained something, she could watch a video. 

Ideally what she would like is a hard copy textbook with optional videos. Then I can teach her, she can also read the instructions in her book and THEN if she is stuck, she can watch a video. She doesn't want to watch an entire 30-45 minute lesson, she wants a video that is a few minutes long explaining that specific concept. 

I will edit my original post. Hopefully that clarifies. Again, thank you everyone for your help and I am sorry I wasn't more clear. I should have taken the time to be very specific!

18 hours ago, WhitneyS said:

I am sorry, I did an incredibly poor job of explaining what we are looking for. Let me try again!

She is in private school this year, using A Beka. School has been really rough this year and through a combination of factors, there is zero love of learning at this point for her. Due to my teaching contract we are finishing out the year and then we will begin homeschooling. We are making a clean break from A Beka. We have tried a few different samples of curriculum, most recently Beast Academy. Her sister, my youngest, fell in love with it and is now working through the curriculum just for fun. My oldest really liked Beast Academy in that if she didn't understand the way I explained something, or the book explained something, she could watch a video. 

Ideally what she would like is a hard copy textbook with optional videos. Then I can teach her, she can also read the instructions in her book and THEN if she is stuck, she can watch a video. She doesn't want to watch an entire 30-45 minute lesson, she wants a video that is a few minutes long explaining that specific concept. 

I will edit my original post. Hopefully that clarifies. Again, thank you everyone for your help and I am sorry I wasn't more clear. I should have taken the time to be very specific!

Which grade is she in?

Another option for you is to use video not connected to texts.  Education Unboxed and Khan Academy have both proven to be useful here as supplemental aids.  If my kid didn't get something, having a different presentation was nice.  Even better, we could search for just about any topic and find more than one way to cover it.