Menu

Bird flu and backyard chickens?

mommyoffive

We do not have them currently. But when we did have them, it was a consideration. One year we were bottle feeding two lambs, weaning them onto grass, and wild birds brought a fungus to the yard. We were not able to save the lambs. By the time the vet was able to culture their infections and figure out a course of treatment, they were too far gone. It was so sad. The farmer whom we were bottle feeding for did not have that issue because the forty acres of open pasture with no trees anywhere near the grazing, did not attract the birds that carried it. But we were surrounded by tall maples that did attract those birds. We did have a couple of bird feeders not realizing that this is a primary mode of spread of such diseases and fungi and all the stuff they drop that infects the soil and grass.

But most backyard chickens do not get avian flu. So I think the thing to do is probably try to take precautions. No bird feeders, no bird baths, keep supplementary feed pans inside the coop, not out where wild birds can get to it, scrub the pans, keep the feed in sealed containers, find out from the local extension office if there are any other precautions you can take, and maybe keep your own outdoor "barn" cat. Since we have had a stray cat hanging around here, I have noticed a huge fall off in wild birds hanging out in our yard. Last summer she thinned out the wild bunny population in order to feed her kittens, and while it was sad because I like bunny foo foos, it was probably for the best for our yard and for the neighbor's garden. My garden is all in tall, raised beds that bunnies and gophers can no longer reach, but I can't keep strawberry plants in pots or in raised beds due to the birds, so now that the cat seems to have a little small animal terrorism thing going, I might try again this year.

• Like 2

Odd you should post this today.  I just went out to get eggs and found a hen dead in a nesting box with no visible injuries.  It crossed my mind that it might be avian flu but I haven't heard anything about it locally yet. We get lots of wild birds in the area but there are no other chicken flocks for about 3/4 mile.   I guess I'll wait to see if any others go before assuming it's the flu?

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Eos said:

Odd you should post this today.  I just went out to get eggs and found a hen dead in a nesting box with no visible injuries.  It crossed my mind that it might be avian flu but I haven't heard anything about it locally yet. We get lots of wild birds in the area but there are no other chicken flocks for about 3/4 mile.   I guess I'll wait to see if any others go before assuming it's the flu?

Did you see any sign of swelling around the head/neck/eyes or purple discoloration on legs or feet? These are classic signs of death by avian flu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have backyard chickens, and it IS a concern, so we take the precautions we know how to take, and leave the rest as it comes. (Where we live, backyard chickens face a HOST of potential disasters - predators, harsh winter, avian flu, you name it. We do try our best to care for them to the best of our ability, but our chickens are livestock, not pets, and we do sometimes suffer losses. Have not had any flu-related problems this year - not sure if it's thanks to our precautions or just dumb luck. Hatching new chicks this week.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Did you see any sign of swelling around the head/neck/eyes or purple discoloration on legs or feet? These are classic signs of death by avian flu.

Truth be told I had dh get her so I will ask him later, thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eos said:

In our state, we can have a free necroscopy done by the extension service. I haven't done it, but I'd suspect they would want to track the spread of flu. You have to refrigerate, not freeze, the bird and get it there pretty soon. 

• Thanks 1

In our state you have to register backyard chickens with the state and they send out alerts when necessary.  So far there's been no avian flu in my area, but they still send out alerts via e-mail when there is a concern anywhere in the state.    I think last year we only got two alerts over the whole year, maybe three, but no more than that.

The concern is real, but I think the benefits outweigh the risk. 

• Like 3

Yes it’s worrying me. Everyone keeps saying don’t worry because it’s not spreading human to human only bird to humans. Not so helpful for those of use with birds. Apparently it’s being found in domestic cats as well. 

My biggest worry is for our house birds - that if worst came to worst they might be impacted and I have wondered if at some point we may need to get rid of the chooks to protect them ): but I don’t want to do that 

• Sad 1