Menu

Puppies are 6m old!

Carrie12345

And they are amazing boys.

C3E46705-B4E2-4AF4-99BD-2C3E69423DA3.jpeg.c75f8e3bcc4cd072b1750c97a0fa64ad.jpeg

BUT, things got real insane.   
Their type of littermate syndrome is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. This picture is from a fraction of a second that they weren’t wrestling. Always friendly posture wrestling, but incessant. No commands or incentives can stop them, and they will get too big to physically separate soon.
They’re fine with being crated apart, but the second one is out, the other screams the whole time.  
In print, it doesn’t sound even half as awful as it actually is.

So, our beloved Dean is starting a new, incredible life with a good friend of ours. He’s been having playdates over there, where he has a whole forest and lake to explore, has been tested with the friend’s gf’s dog and kids, and has already made friends with the neighbors. And, in a couple of days, he gets to stay. 

My heart hurts, but it’s also so full of happiness for him, and for Sammy, who has been thriving with time apart from his brother. The communication between the two of us feels practically flawless without the constant distraction. They are each on their way to being the goodest boys the world has ever seen!

Honestly, I had come to this conclusion months ago, but I capitulated AGAIN, and kept trying harder until I finally had nothing left to give. While all of us here are sick with sadness, there’s a tangible relief in the house. I’m sure the majority of it is because Dean still gets to be in our life, living his dream, with someone we’re close to.

Hopefully the two of them will allow me another split second for a good picture together when they’re fully grown!

• Like 27

Awww, that’s kinda sad but I have to say, I get it. 
My MIL had male littermates together (Corgis) and sometimes tempers flared to a very upsetting degree. My MIL would throw a bucket of water on them or try to separate them with a broom, but they could go for each other in a not-playful manner, especially if food or territory was involved. 

Im glad you have such an ideal solution. Which is which again? The blacker one reminds me of my Sarge. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry, Carrie. I know it had to be hard, but you did the right thing, and I'm glad it's working out well. I have friends who are going through the same thing with GSD litter mates. Their dogs are older than yours, and they're making it work, but it's a full time job. They're retired so they have the time to devote to it. But it's certainly not the pet relationship they wanted. I get mad at breeders who know or should know what a bad idea it is and still allow people to buy litter mates.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Im glad you have such an ideal solution. Which is which again? The blacker one reminds me of my Sarge. 

Everyone who meets Dean (floof; Sam is the darker, shorter-haired one) falls in love, so we had quite a few options, plus people who were upset not to be asked. But it’s like we got him into our top pick school!

• Like 7

I'm so sorry that you had to move Dean.  I recently had to rehome one of my dogs because two of them have decided they are mortal enemies.  One of the dogs was so triggered that simply saying the other dog's name in her presence (without said dog even being around) caused an immediate barking fest.  We tried everything but we were living a life where the dogs had to be kept 100% separate and couldn't even catch a glimpse of each other.  I was gutted when I moved the one but everyone is so much happier and calmer.  I'm still amazed how quiet my home is and how relaxed the other dog is whenever I pick her up.  You did the right thing even though I know how hard it was.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh I am so sorry, but I understand.  You are for sure doing the right thing. 

We had fostered a puppy and that is so much work, I can't imagine having two.  My kids talked me into getting a second dog because they swore our dog would love it.  Fast forward 2.5 years, she doesn't love it.  It has been hard.  They are not mortal enemies, but the fighting all day, the older not letting the younger eat, the fighting over kennels, and on and on.  I am over it.  One day is so much more peaceful.