Menu

Plant and tree gurus or not gurus, but in the know. Help help! Fungus on the Mulberry tree!

Faith-manor

Does anyone know what this is? This is all over the two Mulberry trees at the Alabama house. I am quite concerned because we have fig, kiwi, nectarine, peach, and pomegranate trees planted, and I do not want it to spread. I am also concerned about cutting down the Mulberry tress for two reasons: last year they were still giving a ton of berries which the kids eat like they are trees producing candy canes, and two, they provide deep shade for the blueberries bushes of which there was ven nice producing bushes. There is no way those blueberries are going to make it in 100 degree North Alabama direct sun. They must have shade.

So if we have to cut them down to stop the fungus, what would be your suggestion for creating a shade canopy for the blueberries this year? I thought about creating a simple, square wood frame, and placing white agricultural fabric over it, but I am not sure that is as much shade as the denseness of the leaves on those mature trees and wondered if we would need to do something like a straw, thatched roof.

329141659_908896870122601_651457356375896780_n.jpg

I've always thought of lichen as harmless. Google says yes, but can indicate that the tree could use more water or fertilizer. Also shows you have nice, clear air, apparently.

Is the lichen "new"? Does the tree itself have any worrisome signs? We can't buy mulberry trees at the nurseries in town because they are considered "undesirable" - my kids and your grandkids clearly disagree! However, that may also indicate that they don't necessarily live long.

1 minute ago, Miss Tick said:

We can't buy mulberry trees at the nurseries in town because they are considered "undesirable" - my kids and your grandkids clearly disagree! However, that may also indicate that they don't necessarily live long.

I would guess that they might be considered invasive--even the sterile ones make some amount of fruit, and then the birds start new trees EVERYWHERE.

The fruit is good though if you have a fertile tree! 

I agree with checking with the extension office, but I will third(?) the idea that it's lichen.

This website shoes a photo that looks just like yours (lichen):

198807996_0710carson002_t1000.jpg?cc6fa0

It claims:

Lichens are often thought to be harmful, but they are not harming the tree in any way. You can find lichens growing on rocks and even building structures occasionally. Lichens look plant-like but are a different living organism comprised of an algae and a fungus growing together in a symbiotic way. The algae help with photosynthesis, while the fungus aids in water and mineral absorption. When lichens find a good environment for growing, with enough sunlight, they do. You will find them growing on slow-growing trees or declining shrubs, but they aren't causing the decline, they are just taking advantage of the sunlight and the slower growth rate of the plant. Lichens come in many forms and colors. They are not harming your tree in any way, so no control is necessary.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/jul/10/in-the-garden/

Good call by @prairiewindmomma

Bill

• Like 2

The lichen is not new, just more of it than last year. Thanks! I will call the extension office on Monday. If they confirm, I will run down to the family farm supply at the bottom of our mountain (absolutely LOVE the family that bought it and is operating it), and ask if they have fruit tree fertilizer stakes. I am more than happy to give her food. My grandson Nathan said that if I even thought about cutting that tree down, he was going to chain himself to it!!! I nearly died. Hilarious. I had no idea he had any idea how people protest to preserve trees!

Edited by Faith-manor
Can't type today
  • Haha 4

As for them getting started as invasives, I doubt it. The previous homeowners planted it 15 years ago, and they told me they had to seriously amend the soil and create a habitat for it to thrive. The natural soil is NOT amenable to it. So it had been here for 15 and producing for 10, and my guess that birds dropping seeds is NOT a worry. There have been no new starts in the yard, and we have the only Mulberry on the road. None anywhere that can be seen, no complaints for the neighbors. I am guessing that when the birds drop the seeds, they fall on soil that doesn't work for germination.

I grew up with mulberries. Our neighbor across the road had about six huge Mulberry trees. We played underneath them, barefoot, and so my mom would get upset because we had purple feet for part of the summer. The neighbor never harvested a single berry. But I used to take a bucket to my mom, and she would mix them with sliced strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries to make a five berry pie which my dad thought was the end all and be all of pastry cuisine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

That looks like lichen to me. You can use a copper fungicide if you don’t like the appearance.

I would contact your county extension agency, though, to see if they agree that it is lichen. I am not super familiar with growing in that area.

I was going to suggest copper fungicide as well.

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

As for them getting started as invasives, I doubt it. The previous homeowners planted it 15 years ago, and they told me they had to seriously amend the soil and create a habitat for it to thrive. The natural soil is NOT amenable to it. So it had been here for 15 and producing for 10, and my guess that birds dropping seeds is NOT a worry. There have been no new starts in the yard, and we have the only Mulberry on the road. None anywhere that can be seen, no complaints for the neighbors. I am guessing that when the birds drop the seeds, they fall on soil that doesn't work for germination.

I grew up with mulberries. Our neighbor across the road had about six huge Mulberry trees. We played underneath them, barefoot, and so my mom would get upset because we had purple feet for part of the summer. The neighbor never harvested a single berry. But I used to take a bucket to my mom, and she would mix them with sliced strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries to make a five berry pie which my dad thought was the end all and be all of pastry cuisine!

no Mulberry tress are not invasive here.  What is invasive are Bradford Pear trees that were supposed to be sterile.  Super, super invasive.

1 minute ago, TravelingChris said:

no Mulberry tress are not invasive here.  What is invasive are Bradford Pear trees that were supposed to be sterile.  Super, super invasive.

Thanks for letting me know. My knowledge is ALL Michigan. So I have a lot of learning to do.

We didn't plant any pears. But I know my husband would like to. I had no idea about the Bradford pears. He would want something that produces an anjou type pear. However, I am not sure any would grow this far south. 

The strangest advice I was ever given and that I see frequently in local gardening groups for plants like your blueberries is to buy an umbrella.

I had jokingly suggested that to my husband about one of his beloved something and was dumbfounded that people actually buy umbrellas for their plants. 

Just now, SHP said:

The strangest advice I was ever given and that I see frequently in local gardening groups for plants like your blueberries is to buy an umbrella.

I had jokingly suggested that to my husband about one of his beloved something and was dumbfounded that people actually buy umbrellas for their plants. 

Blueberries are notorious about not handling more than say fours of direct sun. In the wild, they grow I. Low lying areas always near stands of trees so they have afternoon shade and plenty of water. When I would go blueberrying with my dad as a child, I and to wear galoshes/wellies because our favorite spot was the trail that lead to the swamp on state land. It wad always wet/spongy. I laughingly told Mark that if I had to cut the tree down, I would be suspending several of our certification, high power rocketry parachutes over them. Those chutes are anywhere from 5ft-10ft diameter. He was not amused.

5 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Blueberries are notorious about not handling more than say fours of direct sun. In the wild, they grow I. Low lying areas always near stands of trees so they have afternoon shade and plenty of water. When I would go blueberrying with my dad as a child, I and to wear galoshes/wellies because our favorite spot was the trail that lead to the swamp on state land. It wad always wet/spongy. I laughingly told Mark that if I had to cut the tree down, I would be suspending several of our certification, high power rocketry parachutes over them. Those chutes are anywhere from 5ft-10ft diameter. He was not amused.

Lol Do it and take pictures. 

17 minutes ago, SHP said:

Lol Do it and take pictures. 

Oh my gosh, well if I can sneak a couple of them down here when he isn't looking, I will. I mean, sometimes I think the kiwis could use some shade, and they are planted down by the fence so I could easily a fix parachutes to the fence! 😂😂😂😂😂