Menu

History by civilization or continent/region

4KookieKids

I know, know, know that I saw these ideas many years ago, but the search function isn't playing nice with me this week, so feel free just to link old threads that are relevant! 

We are finishing up SOTW 4 this year, and it's just not clicking for my kids. They aren't tracking all the jumping around that happens in the modern times book, although I completely understand that it's hard to talk about history in one area without talking about what's going on in the rest of the world as well.

So I am looking for something more like history by civilization or region to start next year, where maybe we just study South American History for 6-8 months, from ancient times all the way through modern, then the history of Oceana for 6-8 months, etc. I feel like we have a big picture of many things, and that something more focused or like long unit studies will help us fill in gaps and deepen our understanding. I've found these books that seem like something we could use as a spine, but I don't know if they're suitable for children and there's not a wide variety of them at this point:

https://www.workman.com/series/shortest-history-series

I don't need all the extras like activities, games, map work, but I'm certainly not opposed to it either. My kids love doing history together and they will be 3rd-8th grade. I don't mind supplementing with extra books and videos, but I'm not feeling up to the challenge of making up my own units for each civilization or continent by jumping through something like Kingfisher, and I'd just really like something that's already "made" for me and geared towards children.

• Like 2

I am working on a unit study focusing on Spanish Colonization in the middle ages.  If you did a study of South America it could be a good start for it.   Since this is for next year there's a chance I might finish it by then.  Would you like me to put you on my list of people to send it to (it would be free).   If so, please send me a PM so I can remember to do that. 

(No guarantees that I finish it though...stuff comes up).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

There are books like 'Our Island Story,' 'The Story of Canada,' 'Our Sunburnt Country,' 'The Millennium Tree' aimed at kids. Though, after SOTW, wasn't it recommended to make a timeline for much those reasons?

Yes - we just found the timelines overwhelming. Invariably, we'd be cramming too much into a small space.

More to the point - and something the timeline didn't help with - the issue for us ended up being less that we didn't know what else was going on in the world at that same time, but more that we lost the cohesion of moving through one culture/civilization. It felt like we lost the "story" aspect that is so appealing about SOTW and helps kids really remember the history. If today's chapter has a section on Japan, for instance, instead of seeing this as part of Japan's story, we had to look back at the time line for the last time we wrote/learned something about Japan to jog our memories about what was going on in Japan before this. And even then, it didn't really "stick" as a continuation of Japan's story.

• Like 1

Check out the workbook in the Scope and Sequence for SOTW.  The chapters are listed by region of the world.  A timeline is a big help in organizing the events over time while staying within a specific geographical region for a time.  

https://support.welltrainedmind.com/hc/en-us/articles/360062436433-Do-you-have-a-Scope-and-Sequence-for-The-Story-of-the-World-

https://support.welltrainedmind.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047075714-Timelines-Where-can-I-buy-or-how-can-I-make-a-timeline-

• Like 2