Menu

4th grade planning 2023-24

AngelaR

Well, I suppose I might as well start:

After last year's failed attempt at the Alveary (we lasted all of 6 weeks for all subjects, dropped the worst subjects (science and geography) and then did a more thorough switch at 12 weeks), I'm a little trepidatious to try another curriculum, but I'm looking hard at Wayfarers.  There's just not a whole bunch of recent reviews about it on here.  I'm nervous about the geography (it seems all over the place) and I really don't know how we'll do with Quark Chronicles.  My kids love learning through reading, but I really can't stand Aliens, space travel, etc., so I don't know how we'll do with Quark Chronicles.  But I do love that it's built around Story of the World, which I've been DYING to do with my kids since we started homeschooling.  

Math: We may continue to do Right Start, so that will be RS E, or we may try Apologia's Math for 4th grade.  I'm not sure yet.

Grammar:  We're doing CLE grade 2 now and it's going well, so I would think we will continue with grade 3 next year.  

Writing:  Writing Tales 1 (finish) and begin Writing Tales 2

Handicrafts: whittling, felting, sewing

English - I follow the style of ELTL and WWE, but with my own books. Homemade spelling.  Perhaps a poetry unit. Writing??? Dd wants more creative writing. 

Math - Saxon 6/5. We'll do Primary Math 4 this summer.

Science - Biology for the Logic Stage. My science loving kid is excited about dissections (for now!). We're finishing up the last of the grammar stage books in this series, so we'll see how the step into logic goes.

History - SOTW4. Or continuing 3, since we tend to go off on tangents.

Technology  - Continue Scratch programming with the (retired) LEGO BOOST system. Perhaps 3D printing with the MakerBot guidebook.

Electives through public school: Orchestra, Spanish, and art.

Extra E/C: riding lessons. 

My youngest will be in 4th.

Math: Beast Academy 5

Grammar: I will probably loosely follow Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind but adapt it quite a bit to fit his needs. He is great with grammar concepts, but likes to come up with his own examples that are related to his special interests.

Writing: no clue. Writing & Rhetoric is not working for him like it did for my older two. I probably need to develop specific goals and figure out how to teach those while using his special interests (which can change at the drop of a hat, so long-term specific planning is a challenge).

Reading: continue alternating between days where he picks a thing to read to me and days where I pick what we read (novels I select)

History: continue Notgrass's Our Star-Spangled Story

Science: Physics concepts using experiments/demonstrations (Physics Experiments for Children, I think the book is called - the one recommended in the first edition of TWTM), YouTube videos, and library books

Latin: continue Lively Latin, beginning Big Book 2

Bible: continue Bible Study Guide for All Ages

My rising fourth grade is very strong in math, good at reading, and currently resisting much writing. I'd rather build slowly and let him keep having positive feelings about the writing he does so at this point than push and make him hate the very idea of writing, so that influences my choices.

Math: Beast Academy, currently in 4, will likely finish that early next school year and be working on 5. 

Spelling: All About Spelling, probably levels 5&6

Reading/literature: Mosdos Press Ruby

Grammar and writing:MCT Island series

science: Science Mom with older sister

history: SotW Ancients

extracurricular: Cub Scouts, church choir and bells, probably some kind of sport/pe

I feel like I'm forgetting several things, but since I'll be changing this a bunch anyway...

DSS & DS will be in 3rd/4th. I combine them in everything.

As of right now I predict we will complete CLE 2 and WWE 2 around August. From there we will possibly move into Writers in Residence and Readers in Residence (currently 90% off at CBD, so I figured, why not?) They will continue with cursive practice and I will introduce some structured typing lessons. 

We’ve been doing a combo of Miquon3/BA 2/CLE3. Probably going to move over to BJU 4 once they wrap up all that in late Fall. (But then again, CLE is so…. Comforting? Predictable? Maybe we should stay with it. )We like variety though, so I might hang on to BA.

Continuing with my Waldorf/CM approach to all the other subjects. Hoping Amber Hellwell/Hearth Magic rolls out new lit guides for next year. If not, I’ll prob lean on LitWits and TPT. 

Continue with No Sweat Nature Study. 

Continue low-key SOTW 3. We basically just listen in our spare time and do activities that strike our fancy. 

I would like to put more effort into teaching basic home ex skills and money management. 

Bible- possibly Ancient Truths Ever New and another study on the attributes of God. I can’t remember the title. 

Edited by AnneGG

• 2 weeks later...

I’m just beginning work on my rising 4th grader’s plans… I pulled up the middle child’s plans from 12 years ago, and it’s funny to see what’s the same – and what’s different!

Math:

Beast Academy 5 (primary curriculum)

Horizons Pre-Algebra (supplemental)

Math Olympiad practice problems

Language Arts:

A mix of resources? Killgallon, WWE / Exploring the World Through Stories E: Wisdom Tales, MCT Poetry (plus various anthologies), Spelling / vocabulary study (her vocabulary is stunning, but spelling is a real struggle – I’m hoping to work backwards from morphology to address some of the spelling deficits) 

History:

Story of the World 4

Second half of HQ US History? We might just finish reading through this over the summer instead. I haven’t liked it as much this year as I had hoped, unfortunately, so maybe I’ll just pull in selected chapters from Hakim to supplement SOTW. 

Inquisikids US History II lapbooks (from Sonlight / BookShark) – she really enjoyed the first one this year as a way of addressing more US history as we read SOTW.

Literature:

Lots and lots and lots of reading, much of it aligned with our historical period of 1850-present. I haven’t narrowed down what that will include yet. Her comprehension is still way above her stamina for reading, so I’ll have a mix of easier readers and lots and lots and lots of more challenging read-alouds and audio books. 

Science:           Life Science.

Science Explorer texts: Bacteria to Plants; Animals; Environmental Science

Tree of Life: The Incredible Biodiversity of Life on Earth, Rochelle Strauss

The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth: Understanding Our World and Its Ecosystems, Rachel Ignotofsky

Additional biographies about scientists with a focus on botany, biology and climate science. Again, working on narrowing down that list. 

Music:

Piano, violin, children’s choir, Creative Ability Development classes

Art:

Artistic Pursuits, Hillyer’s History of Art Painting and Sculpture

PE:

Swim team, dance 1-2x per week

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on it...

Math: TGTB 3

Science & Nature:

• Blossom & Root Level 5 Oceanography & Astronomy
  • For the Love of Homeschooling Nature Study Club

Social Studies:

• heavy focus on modern Canadian History
  • History Odyssey Level 1 Modern history
  • Layers of Learning World Geography

Language Arts - LOTS of spelling & reading practice

• Spelling Wisdom 1 & Using Language Well 1
  • Vocab from Classical Roots 4
  • Canadian Handwriting D
  • Lightning Lit 4
Edited by AsgardCA

Here's what I have:

Math - BA 4 with MM supplementation as needed

Latin - Continue Latinum Institute

Writing - W&R Narrative

Handwriting - we should be done with ZB 6, so write everything in cursive!

Spelling - AAS 6

Grammar - Continue MCT Island? Or move on to Town?

History - Continue reading SOTW as survey, plus one chosen focus topic. This year's focus is Vikings, next year she wants China.

Science - I feel compelled to do physics, so we'll read through these: https://www.amazon.com/Building-Blocks-Physical-Science-Midthun/dp/0716614200 (which I found at a used book store when she was 3!) But she's also taken an interest in mixing DNA to create mythical creatures so maybe we'll read this together: https://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Dragon-Die-Trying/dp/9813275936/  She's already flipped through it on her own.

PE - Ice skating, lacrosse (if she likes it this year), Archery, maybe Ultimate (Frisbee)?

Music - choir or instrument lesson

Art - projects with Dad

Coding - continue codewizardshq

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm adding something.

Geography - Beautiful Feet US Geography Through Literature (Intermediate)

We haven't done any geography yet, not even much through our history, so we really need to start somewhere. I've had a hard time finding a curriculum I like (and I've searched the boards more than once!) I really liked the look of this curriculum and now that I got the guide in the mail, I like it even more.

This is a pretty new curriculum (2020); their older one uses the Holling C Holling books.

• 4 weeks later...

This would be my first year homeschooling my 3 kids (4th, 2nd, and K, plus a baby due in November, yikes), so I am open to any and all suggestions. I have the 3rd Edition of WTM and am pretty much just using that as a starting point. According to public school, 4th grader is on grade level with ELA and ahead in math.

Math: The Good and the Beautiful Level 3 (starting with this since it's free, if we don't like it my next option would be Singapore Common Core)

ELA: Spelling Workout B, First Language Lessons Level 4, The Complete Writer Level 4, Cursive Handwriting Workbook for Kids (Beginning Cursive)

History: SOTW Book 1 Ancients

Science: still unsure, planning on using the encyclopedias mentioned in WTM plus some e-books since we have an Epic Books subscription and the kids love it

Foreign Language: we study classical Arabic instead of Latin since we are Muslim; it has a similar rigid structure to Latin. She also wants to study ASL so I may sign her up for a $33/month online course called Learn How to Sign

This feels like a lot, but I plan to combine history and science with younger kids. Since we are newbies I will be starting out slowly focusing primarily on math and ELA.

19 hours ago, Muslimah248 said:

This would be my first year homeschooling my 3 kids (4th, 2nd, and K, plus a baby due in November, yikes), so I am open to any and all suggestions. I have the 3rd Edition of WTM and am pretty much just using that as a starting point. According to public school, 4th grader is on grade level with ELA and ahead in math.

Math: The Good and the Beautiful Level 3 (starting with this since it's free, if we don't like it my next option would be Singapore Common Core)

ELA: Spelling Workout B, First Language Lessons Level 4, The Complete Writer Level 4, Cursive Handwriting Workbook for Kids (Beginning Cursive)

History: SOTW Book 1 Ancients

Science: still unsure, planning on using the encyclopedias mentioned in WTM plus some e-books since we have an Epic Books subscription and the kids love it

Foreign Language: we study classical Arabic instead of Latin since we are Muslim; it has a similar rigid structure to Latin. She also wants to study ASL so I may sign her up for a $33/month online course called Learn How to Sign

This feels like a lot, but I plan to combine history and science with younger kids. Since we are newbies I will be starting out slowly focusing primarily on math and ELA.

What are you using for Arabic? Also, why are you using TGTB 3 and not 4 or 5 if they're ahead in math?

Edited by Malam
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Malam said:

What are you using for Arabic? Also, why are you using TGTB 3 and not 4 or 5 if they're ahead in math?

Right now they are taking online Arabic and Quran lessons, but when we start homeschooling they might go to in-person Saturday school for Arabic. I also have a Noorani Qaida app and "Gateway to Arabic" Books 1 and 2 that I can use with them if Saturday school is only Quran memorization and not Arabic (I still have to find out the details). Once they've mastered Noorani Qaida I'm hoping they can study Nahw and Sarf using the free Bayyinah Intensive lessons available on YouTube. I've worked through several of the intensives myself and the instruction is very high-quality. That would be more at the middle school level.

I'm realizing that "ahead" by public school standards isn't the same as homeschool standards. She wasn't in gifted math this year but her teacher recommended her for it next year. We went through the TG&TB 4 pre-test and there were a lot of concepts that she was either shaky on or hadn't seen at all yet, so I thought it might be better to start with 3, skipping over concepts she already knows, and then moving on to 4. She still has almost 2 months left of public school so we'll see where she's at by summer.

I also think Spelling Workout B might be too easy, but WTM recommended that new homeschool students as old as 4th grade start with level B. Her school uses the Fundations phonics program so she has a strong background in phonics already.

• 3 months later...

The Bug is in 4th grade. I can hardly believe it. She is a quick worker but our life is crazy, so it is hard to find a balance. 

Saxon 6/5

Science in the Scientific Revolution

Notgrass's Our 50 States

Continue with Brilliante German 1

Latin for Children A

Learn the Greek alphabet with Greek Code Cracker and Hupogrammon

AAS 5, W & R 3 and 4, MCT English, Spencarian Handwriting (will not insist on if she hates it) and Marie's Words

Literature - whatever I choose to assign

History - 1450's to either before or after the American Revolution