Menu

1st Grade Planning Thread 2023

Green Bean

Reading/phonics:   Little Seedlings Press Book Two Word Mastery   (We tried Abeka, and it moved too quickly for him. We are working on Book One, and it seems to be a better pace for him.)

Math:  Singapore Dimensions 1A/1B   (I also abandoned Abeka math.  It would've been fine, but I decided I wanted to put him on the Singapore path for now. Math is his strong suit, and I probably could have started him in 1A, but I wanted to make sure we had a good foundation for Singapore.  So I started him with KB this semester, and we are loving it.)

I may add Memoria Press 1st Grade enrichment.  I probably also need a handwriting program, though the LSP books have a bit. 

That's all I have so far! 

Edited by Ting Tang

Math: BA2 (I don't know if I'll keep singapore math as backup. We only went back to SM work three times this semester. It seems more economical if I just cobble up something the 3 days when BA is too much.)

Reading: Continue AAR3 (we will be in level 3 by Feb.)

Spelling: Spelling Through Phonics

Writing/Language Arts: Leaning towards Bravewriter Quill considering Bravewriter Dart. I think he would enjoy the reading selections in Dart but I don't know if we'll be there in terms of being able to do copywork. 

Science: Mystery Science and whatever other bunny trails we go on (we have a membership to a science museum in the area and Kiwi Crate subscription). I feel like we have science playtime instead of poetry teatime.

Handwriting: HWOT unless we are ready to just do copywork.

History: SOTW 

• Like 1

I love this age!

Language Arts:

Reading- AAR2

Spelling- Moffatt Girls 1st Grade (on TPT)

Handwriting- McRuffy Handwriting 

Read Alouds as much as possible!

Math:

1st Grade Primary Mathematics 2022 

Saxon 1  -  I tend to do 2 programs in early years

Science and Social Studies:

World Geography- Usborne World of Animals as spine.  

Science- animals and biomes correlate with Geography,  maybe TGATB,  or maybe just books

Extras:

Co-op, fun art projects

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 1

My second child is currently K aged. Rough plan for September is:

Language Arts: She will either be towards the end of the first mcguffey or beginning of the second. + copywork from that. 

Cottage Press primer 1. 

Math: SCM Arithmetic 2, grade 2 workbook and living math books and games.

Spanish: complete starter spanish + my first readers A spanish/english to start learning to read in Spanish. 

Science: Elemental Science 

Nature study: SCM outdoor secrets

History: Story of thr world

Art: Blossom and Root Math in art Year 1. 

Handicrafts: Sewing school book, possibly paper Slloyd when done.

I *think* that is everything. Everything is combined with my eldest who will be second grade. The only difference is which mcguffey they are on. I should make a note on my phone! 

Updating:

DD will be a young first grader 23-24 so I haven't decided how much I want to add. 

Math: MM 1, Addition Facts That Stick and lots of card/board games (Adsumudi, Money Bags, Zeus on the Loose)

Reading: AAR 4 and Wise Owl Polysyllables

Spelling: AAS 1

Grammar: FLL1 and WWE

Handwriting: TGATB 1 

Lots of read alouds for science 🙂

Edited by Momof4sweetkids
Updated
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

Does AAR4 not take them through all the way to being able to read anything? (I'm curious and we are only on AAR2.)

My understanding is that it does. We are 2/3 of the way through AAR 3 and there haven't been a lot of 3+ syllable words so my DD doesn't have a lot of confidence in breaking them up even though she knows the syllable division rules. I also figure Wise Owl Polysyllables will be a good way to keep practicing longer words since she mostly reads Rainbow Magic Fairies when reading independently. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 4:03 AM, Momof3sweetgirls said:

DD will be a young first grader 23-24 so I haven't decided how much I want to add. 

Math: MM 1, Addition Facts That Stick and lots of card/board games 

Reading: AAR 4 and Wise Owl Polysyllables

Spelling: We will try AAS 1 when she feels ready to add another subject or when we finish AAR. Not sure if I want to do AAS or R&S but I got AAS 1 cheap used.

Grammar: FLL1 or wait another year to start, haven't decided.

Handwriting: TGATB 

Lots of read alouds for science 🙂

Nice ❤️

Edited by HenryHanson

6 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Perhaps they are wiser than me. Even after 20 yrs, I find planning to be a great February Blues distraction.

Me, too!  I keep wondering if there is another place all the younger, hip homeschool moms are hanging out?  I'll have 2 in college, 2 in high school, 1 in Jr high..... and a 1st grader who technically would be a Kindergartener.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Me, too!  I keep wondering if there is another place all the younger, hip homeschool moms are hanging out?  I'll have 2 in college, 2 in high school, 1 in Jr high..... and a 1st grader who technically would be a Kindergartener.  

I wonder too because my oldest is in 1st. I feel really silly by myself and my 😬 about 1st grade, when people are worried about high school and college. I just read the grammar stage of WTM with a focus for first grade and felt whoa how will we get through it all!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 4:13 PM, Lovinglife123 said:

Feel free to discard this, but I found doing AAS 1 alongside AAR 1 a much better way to go about it.  I wish I would have known for my older one.  Learning to spell while learning to read helped it stick a lot faster.

That's why I am so happy with, and recommend, Spalding. 🙂

13 hours ago, Clarita said:

I wonder too because my oldest is in 1st. I feel really silly by myself and my 😬 about 1st grade, when people are worried about high school and college. I just read the grammar stage of WTM with a focus for first grade and felt whoa how will we get through it all!

No feeling silly needed. We have all been there and are glad to assuage your feelings. And you don't have to do it all. IME, not one of my kids had any interest in history at that age. 3rd was when that really kicked in. It's ok to put things off if you feel your kiddo isn't ready for them.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 1

My first grader (and baby!) will be doing:

Horizons Math 1

Abeka Letters and Sounds 1

Abeka Spelling and Poetry 1

Pentime 1

BJU Heritage Studies 1

TGTB Science Units with older bothers: Reptiles, Amphibians and Fish, Mammals, Birds, and Botany

I also have Memoria Press first grade Enrichment, if I can get to it.

She will also go 1x per week to a homeschool enrichment program that teaches art, music, PE, STEM, Social Studies and Spanish. 

• Like 2

I've had my plans done for a while, but it's honestly hard to look past this summer because that's when kid 4 is going to be born! But assuming I can actually handle everything next year this is what I have for my 1st grader:

Math - BA 1. We'll be finishing Singapore K pretty soon and then we're going to try this out, so continuing that next year, presumably. If it doesn't work out probably Math Mammoth 1.

Reading - continuing OPGtTR and reading at level

Writing - WWE 1

Handwriting - Zaner Bloser 1

Science - Mom-made evolution/dinosaurs/prehistory unit (I did this with my oldest). Burgess Bird Book and some other bio read-alouds.

History - I'm counting prehistory as part of this! Myths, legends, and fables from various cultures.

Music - Choir or instrument lessons

Art - maybe a drawing class?

Extras - Ice skating, Swimming, maybe Ultimate (Frisbee)?

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 4:29 PM, dauntless dandelion said:

Math - BA 1. We'll be finishing Singapore K pretty soon and then we're going to try this out, so continuing that next year, presumably. If it doesn't work out probably Math Mammoth 1.

With BA1 I found it the samples really helpful to see if it would be a fit. The samples they give you actually give you what they explicitly teach your child and then the expected problems they will give your child to solve. So you can see if your child (and you) actually like that style of teaching (because it's less explicit than Singapore and the problems sets are less straight forward). 

FWIW I'm glad I did more practice with adding after Singapore K with my son before doing BA1. This was unintentional, because when my son finished Singapore K BA1 wasn't out yet. 

• Thanks 1

We're using Ambleside Online for most of our curriculum, but there are a few "gaps."

Reading and Writing

McGuffey's Primer (+ "word-building"/phonics work)

Getty-Dubay A (and maybe B, depending on dd's speed)

Math

The Eclectic Manual of Methods

Paper Sloyd for the Primary Grades

Handwork and Life Skills

We're using Ursa Minor Learning's schedule, but we haven't quite settled on the resources yet.

Music 

Instead of Ambleside Online's composer rotation, we'll be using Wildwood Curriculum's Form 1B schedule, "Children's Classics."

We're also choosing a kind of DIY schedule of more basic hymns and patriotic folksongs for this year instead of Ambleside's rotations. 

For piano, we will either use Curwen's Pianoforte method or Suzuki; my dh and I need to review both. 

Spanish

Salsa

De Colores by Jose Luis Orozco

Art

What to Draw and How to Draw It by Lutz

Brushwork by Hudson

Science

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding Vol. 1 (added to Ambleside's Nature Study work)

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 7:33 PM, Clarita said:

With BA1 I found it the samples really helpful to see if it would be a fit. The samples they give you actually give you what they explicitly teach your child and then the expected problems they will give your child to solve. So you can see if your child (and you) actually like that style of teaching (because it's less explicit than Singapore and the problems sets are less straight forward). 

FWIW I'm glad I did more practice with adding after Singapore K with my son before doing BA1. This was unintentional, because when my son finished Singapore K BA1 wasn't out yet. 

Thanks for the advice! With DD8 I did Singapore 1 before we switched to BA and I remember so many number bonds! Pages and pages. DD5 has been doing the dragonbox Numbers app for a couple years so she's pretty good on addition to ten, but not great on subtraction. Maybe we could spend the rest of the year with ten frames and number bonds 🙂

I actually bought BA1 a while ago because I just had to see it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The plan for 2023/2024 for my first grader is the following:

Math: Math with Confidence Grade 1

Reading: AAR2

Spelling: Explode the code (2, 3)

Copywork: ELTL Level A

Social studies (Geography, History): Wayfarers Ancients Term 1,2,3 (uses Story of the world)

Science: BFSU Vol 1 - we didn't start this at kindergarten and used blossom and root kindergarten science. This year, I am planning to give it a go this year.

Art: Maybe look for an art class or go through 13 Artists that a child should know and take it slowly. The other option is Blossom and Root Art & Math.

Plenty of read a louds and outside time.

DS #4 will officially be in 1st grade this year. He's my more-obviously-on-the-spectrum kid so formal, sit-down schoolwork is generally short, quick and to the point (unless he's really focused in on it for the day, in which case we might do several days' worth in one sitting) and supplemented with a lot of informal, play based learning directed by whatever he's currently interested in. Science, history, and literature will be combined with his older (3rd grade) sister and I'm not expecting much beyond him listening in and taking part in any fun projects/experiments. 

Math: Finish the last bit of Math in Focus K and...??? The plan is to go to Math Mammoth 1 but he might find it too visually overwhelming, in which case I'll probably bounce back to Singapore. 

Reading/Phonics: OPGTR + finish Get Ready for the Code B and move on to C + Reading Eggs + Bob Books and similar readers

Handwriting: We haven't done any formal handwriting up to this point so I have both HWOT PreK and K. We'll see how far we get!

Science: Mom made evolution/dino unit study + RS4K Elementary Biology + nature study. We'll probably do a grow-a-frog and/or butterfly kit in the spring.

History: Build Your Library 1/ SOTW 1 (Ancient History)

Literature: Build Your Library 1 (modified)

Our sixth born will be first grade this fall😁.

We are doing Alphaphonics/MFW 1st grade for phonics. McGuffy reader 1, Sonlight levels 1 and 2 readers, and Pathway for independent reading time. He is picking up reading well now, which is so exciting.

MCP Math B with Singapore textbooks starting at 1A for our tutoring time.  MCP is mostly independent after the daily warmup.  He finds math super easy.

Pentime 1

Second semester we plan to do Adventures in MFW with the second grade suggestions.  He is an older 1st grader with a late summer birthday.

Have fun ladies!