Menu

Where did you go after '100 Easy Lessons'?

Amr Hadi

My kid's in first grade and we are technically homeschooling through a charter, teacher had suggested All About Reading or Moving Beyond the Page as reading curriculum. Neither seemed appealing.

Reading through WTM and the end page of 100 Easy Lessons, the rough idea seems to be start with the easy readers and work through the expansion of phonic possibilities as they arise. I'll get some books from the list at the end of 100EL, and I ordered a McGuffey reader and First Language Lessons. Plan is to read a book a day, have her read it the next day, ask Qs, write down her narrative answers. 

Does that sound reasonable? What did you do after beginner phonics?

I didn't use 100 easy lessons, we just played with letters and montessori CVC blockd but after beginner phonics/ being able to sound out CVC words we did the Mcguffey pictorial primer. We used a montessori read, build, write board for sight words and other words they struggled with and spoke about blends like th and build a few other th words with letters. They also did copywork, starting with words and building up to harder words. We moved on to the next story when there were no words they struggled with and comprehended it. I assigned words and sentences with words they struggled reading with. By the end of the pictorial primer, they could read quite well, cracked a lot of codes and able to read harder books in free time. We have decided to continue working through them for 'school' just to ensure reading is progressing. I recommend them, they were given to me by a more experienced homeschool mother whose youngest had finished them, they are great to teach to read solidly but also to ensure reading is progressing past the early reader levels.

• Like 1

I love the instructions and techniques in 100 Easy Lessons, but I remember noticing that the phonics covered were incomplete though it's been years now so I couldn't say exactly what it's "missing", but I don't think it teaches all of the sounds that a child will need to know.

I would teach through the Ultimate Phonics Word Lists for a few months to hit the remaining phonics patterns and sound combinations, as well as work on Multisyllable words. It includes sentences for fluency building.

Doing this and continuing your plan of reading a book a day and asking questions each day should be sufficient to get her through all of phonics and build her reading stamina and comprehension.

• Like 1

If your charter school will let you use the materials you can ask them for the readers from All About Reading. If you are up for it you can get the Teacher's Guide it has some pre and post comprehension questions and ideas for using the stories.

You can look at the scope and sequence and look at the physical story books to determine which level your child can read. ( The books get longer in addition to added decoding skills.)

If you want to continue the same you can move to SRA Reading Mastery.

I had one move into easy readers/regular books with spelling lessons on the side.  I had some move into Sing, Spell, Read & Write, overlapping lessons with 100 EZL in order to build up confidence and using Explode The Code for reinforcement.

The one drawback with 100EZL is that it only covers a handful of digraphs.  Most early reading books will introduce more digraphs at a faster speed, so you're really going to want a list to cover afterward (I believe there might be one in the back of the book).  I introduced one at a time with my kid that moved into regular books.  We'd practice with words/sentences I wrote out and then look for them in the books he read.

There are free programs you can use to reinforce.  Tennessee has a very nice free phonics-based program that covers all aspects. SimpleWords has a free 3-level workbook they'll send out as a pdf. PhonicBooks and All About Learning have free printables on their websites.

I think you'll figure out what you need when you start seeing gaps, and those gaps will provide you with a path forward.

• Like 2

Well, we started with Phonics Pathways, but we blended in Bob books towards the end, then real books with a few leveled readers (Pathway? Hardback, Mennonite books). 

Ds took more practice on the reading pyramids in the back of PP and more nonsense words to prevent guessing. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 7:53 AM, ScoutTN said:

Well, we started with Phonics Pathways, but we blended in Bob books towards the end, then real books with a few leveled readers (Pathway? Hardback, Mennonite books). 

Ds took more practice on the reading pyramids in the back of PP and more nonsense words to prevent guessing. 

I was also going to say Phonics Pathways or Alphaphonics as well😁.  I do a pattern reading- day 1, copy and mark-day 2, and dictation-day 3.  I first test to where they are learning something new by quizzing spelling ability and reading ability.  Once I know where they are we go quickly through the above for quick review, followed by the 3 steps for teaching new patterns for them.  

I also start with Bob books, then Sonlight, McGuffy, and Pathway readers....reading aloud is the most important part of the day at that stage imho.

Blessings,

Brenda 

Edited by homemommy83

• 4 weeks later...

Adding to the comment above about moving on to SRA Reading Mastery, which is the original program 100EZ Lessons was compiled from, you can access all of the levels k-5th and all of the content for reading, language arts, and spelling, except for the student workbooks and tests, with a ~$100 yearly teacher subscription from the McGraw Hill website. It's a somewhat complicated process to get started, iirc. You have to make an online account and get verified as a homeschooler, buy the subscription, make an account on their ConnectED website, and then activate a master code and some other junk, but it's totally worth it if you want to continue with the same methods and progression beyond 100EZ. It's usually pretty easy and inexpensive to find the workbooks and readers/student textbooks (if you want physical copies) on eBay, or you can buy directly from McGraw Hill.

https://www.mheducation.com/prek-12/product/9780021282531.html

https://www.mheducation.com/prek-12/explore/direct-instruction/reorder-components.html

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've taken four students through 100EZ. We move on to the student reading various readers aloud for additional reading and pronunciation practice and add AAS. AAS fills in the phonogram gaps and helps a lot with not just teaching spelling but teaching how to figure out word pronunciation. I'm very happy with the results of this sequence.