Menu

We celebrated Christmas today

Tree Frog

and it's a little bittersweet. We have anticipated this year coming last year or the year before, so we've been thankful we had the extra couple of years with all 3 kids home. One dd is here this week and heads back to her home on Monday. Ds is here until just after the first. Our other dd isn't able to come home this year. She called this morning to be part of our Christmas and did her best to be upbeat, but she was struggling. Though she has to work, she will also be by herself over Christmas. Her SO is traveling to his home to be with his family, which she encouraged because she knew she would be working. 

I'm so thankful they want to come home. I don't know how much longer they will make coming back a priority, but I'll take any time they're willing to give us!

(If you have any suggestions to help dd, I would love to hear them. This is her first Christmas away. She'll be working days and nights, so her schedule will be wonky, too, which makes things more difficult. She does have friends she may be able to get together with, but they will also have wonky schedules.)

If you know your daughter's work schedule, perhaps everyone who is at your home can make a personal phone call to her on Christmas Eve or Day (rather than passing a phone around).

We use Zoom to open gifts together with our daughter in South Korea. Might you be able to do something similar?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I am sorry your DD is stuck at home. I hope she doesn't regret sending her SO off with his family. Sometimes it's easy to encourage that in the abstract (it's logical), but then feel left out when the time comes and you're home alone. 

I agree about Zoom, setting up phone calls, and sending cards. In her spot, I would very much appreciate a meal delivered and/or a care package. 

I've never done a watch party with our streaming services, but maybe doing that would be fun if there is a time that would work out. Or even just rent the same movie as if you are together. You could eat the same snacks on each end, and maybe even Facetime or something while you watch (if it's not too out of sync). Early in the pandemic, a cousin got married and broadcast the wedding live. Those of us who couldn't go Facetimed during at least part of the wedding so that we could ooh and ah about the various parts as if we were there together. It was fun. 

Maybe there is a game you can play online together if she's into games.

It's really hard to be the only one that can't make it. Hugs to your DD! 

• Like 1

Hugs to your dd.  Dh and I's last Christmas apart was because he was working out of state.  I think the card idea is lovely.  I spent that Christmas eve wrapping presents on Zoom with dh at 10:30pm, and then the next day the kids and I made a new Christmas tradition: watching complete junk on tv and having a Gilmore feast for Christmas breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Dh is helping to track Santa this year and won't be home overnight, then asleep during the day.  DS23 will be confirming Santa's stops the next night and will be asleep all Christmas day.  It's going to be a weird kind of lonely. People will be here, but only awake for long enough to open gifts and maybe play a game in the evening.  DS12 and I will be creating a new way to celebrate this year on our own.

We’ve had kids living far away and on their own for Christmas. One thing we enjoy is watching a movie at the same time and texting through it. Usually we pick something to stream so we can start at the same time. It’s always something we’re very familiar with so we can laugh at lines we know by heart, etc.  I generally hate group texts but not when we’re far apart enjoying a movie together. We loved watching or going to movies when they lived at home so it was an easy way to feel connected when far away.

• Like 3