Menu

I want to live in Bedford Falls. Does it still exist? Anywhere???

I don't know what or where Bedford Falls is, but Abingdon, Va. is a beautiful, small town that is bustling. The arts are alive and well there. It is close enough to big stores, but they are not right there in town (they are down where I am). It is a town that you can walk around, and the library and farmer's market are fabulous. Abingdon is a white collar town, but housing prices are very affordable.

This photo I took last year after my town's annual lighted Christmas parade always makes me think of George Bailey and Bedford Falls.:)

P1010714.JPG

our small town's annual Christmas parade in the downtown section. I honestly did a double-take, as some of the buildings are so similar.

We live in a great small town, but we don't have a regular bookstore (we need a Barnes & Noble) and we could use a few other things.

That street does look almost exactly like the main street going through our downtown, though!

our small town's annual Christmas parade in the downtown section. I honestly did a double-take, as some of the buildings are so similar.

Yes, it's probably fairly typical, with the exception of the windmill (not visible in the picture).

We live in a great small town, but we don't have a regular bookstore (we need a Barnes & Noble) and we could use a few other things.

Oh, same here. This town suffers from the WalMart syndrome, like most of America. But it is a thriving place in many respects and I am happy to have the post office, library, piano teacher, park, doctor, dentist, and many shops all within a half mile radius ~ and an easy bike ride away from our farm, nonetheless.

My heart belongs down the road in the bigger, college city, though. That's where my food co-op is, as well as some truly great local shops ~ including a fantastic book store.:)

The only reason I can think of is if cattle used to be brought through, but is that the real reason?

Yes, in a lot of cases, that was the real reason. Angled parking is another. There's angled parking on either side of the street I photographed, so when cars are parked, the actual driving lanes are quite narrow.

The only reason I can think of is if cattle used to be brought through, but is that the real reason? I'm always seeing these wide streets in films.

Laura

exactly sure why that is, although your guess is a good one. Our main street honestly doesn't seem that wide, although it looks a lot like Colleen's. It could be the angle of the camera. We only have two lanes down our main street, and the parking is not angled; cars have to parallel park.

Many towns in Europe have large public squares, which I think are really cool. Maybe the large main street in the US is our version of "cool". :D I believe Nicollett Mall in downtown Minneapolis allows for no vehicular traffic, and there are shops along the road, plus at times there are certain festivals held there.

Our main street honestly doesn't seem that wide, although it looks a lot like Colleen's. It could be the angle of the camera. We only have two lanes down our main street, and the parking is not angled; cars have to parallel park.

Driving lanes and parking spaces are much narrower in Britain, with an assumption of smaller cars. There's no way that my parents-in-law's American car would fit into the spaces at our supermarket car park.

Many of the villages that I drive through daily have less than one lane each way, i.e., no-one has off-road parking, so there will always be parking in one of the driving lanes. People are pretty good about waiting for each other to go along the one free lane.

Laura

Hate to break it to you but Bedford Falls was a stage set.

And as it happens the set was built about a mile down the road from us and is now the site of my son's soccer field.

Now about Santa Claus...:001_huh:

Bill

Bill, thank you so much for the info, but I know Bedford Falls is fictional....I just wish it weren't and that I could live there.

And hey, what about Santa? :glare:

Have a spare 1/2 million or so? What about Haddonfield or Moorestown?

Well, yeah, that's the problem w/those places! LOL My aunt lives in Haddonfield, and we actually lived in Moorestown when we were first married. Bordentown is probably the closest to Bedford Falls around here, and I don't think it's as pricey as the other two, but it's so far away from the rest of my life.

Hmmmm.....

We have a restored movie theatre thanks to Michael Moore and our little downtown looks EXACTLY like Bedford Falls in the snow with the flashing lights on the theatre sign now. It's breathtaking in the downtown at night.

Of course, this is Michigan so we're great to move to if you have another job out of state or you're in medicine right now. Otherwise, there's no work here and it's going to get a LOT worse if the automakers go under.

Jen

Hate to break it to you but Bedford Falls was a stage set.

And as it happens the set was built about a mile down the road from us and is now the site of my son's soccer field.

Now about Santa Claus...:001_huh:

Bill

Oh, sure, next thing we know you'll be banging on the cash register and yelling out, "Look at me! I'm giving out angel wings!" every time it jingles.:glare:

I think that Sioux Falls SD is much like Bedford Falls. Very stable economically and socially. Hardly any crime, good housing market and schools. Family oriented, lots of parks, biking trails, and culture. Not too large- 140,000 but large enough for good shopping, fine restaurants, etc. Voted Money Mags "Top 10 places to live" a few years back. Below is a picture of the falls decorated for Christmas.

6CF7705CB4E841C2940E62048C2465D3.ashx

Edited by laughing lioness
picture added