Menu

Wedding/Reception -- how long do you think? - SOLVED, thanks!

TheReader

EDIT -- thanks, all!!! I'll pack my waiting room bag and hang out in a coffee shop or similar in the town where the wedding is before heading to the airport, if I end up with extra time! I'm a dork for not thinking of that. 

(original left just so things aren't confusing)

I have a wedding coming up that I'm supposed to attend, but DH is going to be flying in from out of the country that same day, so I need to pick him up. The wedding is out of town, so I'd need to go directly from the wedding to the airport.....but this only works if I will be at the wedding/reception long enough to do that (vs. getting to the airport way early). 

If a wedding/reception is set for 1 pm and just there at the church (reception also), just a simple dessert reception.....you think I'd be there as late as 4? Or 5? 

Debating if I can/should still go to the wedding, or send my regrets just due to the logistics.  (wedding is ~2 hrs from my  house, about 1.5 hrs from the airport, which is also ~an hour-ish from my house, so there's really no way I have time to go to the wedding, come home, turn around and go back to the airport...but also I don't want to be killing time for an hour+ between wedding and leaving to the airport/get to the airport early).  

*the business trip came up last minute, which is why I'm just now thinking through this; originally DH was going to be here, and we were both going to the wedding

What says The Hive? 

Edited by TheReader

I’d go to the wedding, but have an errand list as back up in case I needed to fill an hour. There’s bound to be groceries or something in the area should you find yourself with extra time.  An hour of planning time in a coffee shop would go so fast and that’s even if I get that time. The wedding will probably fill it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with KungFuPanda - an hour or so to fill if you have to is way better than walking back a Yes RSVP to a wedding. I don’t see the wedding reception being over before 3:30 minimum, more likely 4. Bring a book, find a coffee shop, have an errand list.  Maybe there will be a shop in that area you want to go to while you’re close to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some chatting you could do until you needed to leave.  But even if not, I would just plan an errand, pick a coffee shop, find a parking lot with wifi, etc.  I would not send regrets if you've already RSVPed and this is coming up imminently.  

Maybe I do this kind of thing too much. I had to kill 3 hours on the far side of town yesterday with my teen.  That was a target run, a coffee shop run, and a 45 minute walk (I packed my winter gear - we have snow).  It went really fast.  I have to kill about 90 minutes while she does dual enrollment today.  I bring knitting, walking gear, load up podcasts/audio books, have a mask at the ready, etc.  When I'm somewhere new, I look for interesting stuff to explore.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 4

I envy that this isn’t a daily occurrence for you. I have 1-2.5 hours between when I’m off work and picking up my kids from school, or 1 hour in parking lot of music lessons, or 1-3 hours during skating lessons, or always something with 2 teenagers. 
I keep winter gear and blankets in my car. I walk the surrounding areas. I read, email or listen to music. I make grocery lists and meal ideas. I call friends and family. 
It’s a stage of life, it’s not my ideal but I’m happy to help my children have these experiences.

Edited by Acorn
  • Like 2

Thanks, everyone. 

I do spend a lot of time waiting around when it's stuff here locally...don't know why I wasn't thinking that direction about this. I was focused on "Okay, the wedding venue is 1.5 hrs from the airport, the flight gets in at 7, so as long as I leave by 5.....hmm, will a 1 pm wedding have me sticking around till 5? What if everyone's leaving by 3, then what??"  (and factoring in the driving -- 2 hrs to the wedding, 1.5 from there to the airport, another hour home after that....all solo, when I was originally thinking I'd have DH with me).

But, yes, of course I can find a coffee shop and kill time. I mean, I keep a bag packed with "waiting room stuff" for just such a purpose, ha. I feel like a dunce not thinking of that.  I think I was so stuck on getting to the airport, and there is *nothing* in that vicinity at all. Absolutely there's a ton in the town where the wedding is, though. Duh. 

Thanks, y'all! 

• Like 5

• TheReader changed the title to Wedding/Reception -- how long do you think? - SOLVED, thanks!