Menu

8 billion people

Ausmumof3

25 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t know why I looked, but it was 4.2ish when I was born. Under 6 when I had my firstborn and under 7 with my last.  Kind of jarring.

It was only 3.3 billion when  I was born, which was already way higher than it had ever been - and it's now more than doubled that in a bit over a half century.  The population only hit ONE billion around 1800 - and for the rest of human history was far below that. And lately there are crazy people saying we're in a crisis because the population is finally not growing so fast? This is not remotely sustainable.  We're locusts.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

It was only 3.3 billion when  I was born, which was already way higher than it had ever been - and it's now more than doubled that in a bit over a half century.  The population only hit ONE billion around 1800 - and for the rest of human history was far below that. And lately there are crazy people saying we're in a crisis because the population is finally not growing so fast? This is not remotely sustainable.  We're locusts.

Well, population decline IS a crisis. Just a different one from overpopulation.

(and I know I’m not using the right term from Human Geography)

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Carrie12345 said:

My feeling is at least with non human things they are two sides of the same coin. Good conditions leads to population explosion leads to poor conditions, hunger, disease, conflict and population collapse. Technology and medicine gives us the ability to control both population increase and disease and hunger to some degree if we use it well.

15 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

(and I know I’m not using the right term from Human Geography)

Yeah, but world population isn't remotely declining yet, not worldwide.  Some countries, yes, but worldwide it's still increasing.  Or we wouldn't be hitting 8 billion for the very first time.   We've added a BILLION people in just the last dozen or so years. (7 billion was hit around 2010-11)  The number of every human existing on the planet in 1800.

35 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, but world population isn't remotely declining yet, not worldwide.  Some countries, yes, but worldwide it's still increasing.  Or we wouldn't be hitting 8 billion for the very first time.   We've added a BILLION people in just the last dozen or so years. (7 billion was hit around 2010-11)  The number of every human existing on the planet in 1800.

As I understand it, however, most population researchers believe we have reached peak children and may already be on a downturn. Because of lifespan and generational cohort specifics, population is expected to continue to increase for a few decades--but not because the number of children being born in a year/decade will be higher than now.

I think gradual population decrease can be sustainable, but it will take significant adjustments in lifestyle and economic practices and expectations. Among other things, a forever-growing-economy is not a sustainable expectation if we do not have a forever -growing population. Oh, economic growth can continue as long as economic consumption grows (which can certainly happen without population growth) but at some point consumption-per-person has to approach a limit and growth slow down significantly. This is especially true if we don't want increasing per-person consumption to continue to equal increasing per-person environmental load/impact.

We have a global wealth-accumulation-obsessed economic system. I'm surprised that I see very little discussion of how eventual population decreases are going to impact that and ideas to address those impacts. I think that economic systems and expectations will need to change significantly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1