Menu

Travelling to UK and need a carseat for car from airport. Any ideas?

mum

If at all possible I would rent or buy one in the UK. If someone is meeting them at the airport that person could bring it? Otherwise, for domestic US travel, I've wrapped car seats in commercial trash bags sealed with duct tape and had someone on the other end with a sharp tool to open everything.

16 hours ago, mum said:

US car seats are technically illegal in UK. 

Can they check what they have? We had Britax high back boosters with 5 point harness that could be used everywhere. Else I would rent the carseat from the rental car company.

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/print

Only EU-approved height-based child car seats can be used in the UK. These have a label showing a capital ‘E’ in a circle and ‘R129’

Only EU-approved weight-based child car seats can be used in the UK. These have a label showing a capital ‘E’ in a circle and ‘ECE R44’”

ETA: the chest clips are different but the harness can be removed for ours. My kids were lightweight but tall for toddlers so we went by height.

Edited by Arcadia

I'd ask the transportation company if they have any car seats.

I'd also check the UK law, which seems to say that if the taxi/public hire vehicle doesn't have a car seat, the child can ride without one in the backseat.

Otherwise, is it possible that this child can use a portable toddler car seat for that one ride?

You can remove the chest clip on a seat and it meets UK/EU specs, if it comes to it.  The 5pts are what is illegal.  The EU insists on a one-step removal in the case of an emergency, and 5pt seats have two steps.  Britax and Chicco, both EU-friendly seats, have features that keep the straps in place without the chest clip and sell the same versions of their seats under a different name.  If it comes to it, this is an option.