Menu

Just wondering about something...

Do stores where you live charge tax on candy??

I ask because I bought some chocolate today for my son and was charged $0.49 tax on the total. I told the kid that food wasn't supposed to be taxed and he said, "It's chocolate." I said, "Well, you EAT chocolate, don't you?" I paid and went home fuming.

Just curious, because eons ago when I worked retail we were told NOT to tax anything you eat, i.e. candy.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

In one of the states I lived in, (I can't remember which one -- I've lived in too many states!) I remember that groceries weren't taxed, but restaurant food was taxable. SO, if you went to a convenience store, and picked up a cold burrito, it wasn't taxed. But, if you put it in the microwave before bringing it to the cash register, it WAS!

Screwy, I tell you. ;o)

So, it doesn't surprise me that candy is taxed. Like we tell our kids, "Candy isn't food. It has no nutritional value." (of course, the same can be said for iceburg lettuce, but I digress)

In one of the states I lived in, (I can't remember which one -- I've lived in too many states!) I remember that groceries weren't taxed, but restaurant food was taxable. SO, if you went to a convenience store, and picked up a cold burrito, it wasn't taxed. But, if you put it in the microwave before bringing it to the cash register, it WAS!

Sounds like Michigan - things you eat right now are taxable, things you take home to prepare are not.

In FL (at least this is how it was when I was 16 or so), there were food categories and taxable food categories.

Taxable food included things like: Candy, Ice Cream (novelties), prepared food. You didn't pay tax on milk, bread, veggies, fruits, etc.

In Virginia, (looking at my receipt), it looks like all food is taxed -- although, apparently not at the full 5% rate.

In California (this was like 20 years ago), they had a similar system to Florida. Most food wasn't taxed, unless it was candy & ice cream (or similar items). I only lived in Georgia for a year... and I don't remember.