Menu

Book suggestions for DH reading pleasure.

My DH spends a good deal of time reading when his back is bothering him. (Failed back surgery). I have scoped out many many books from your reading lists and am looking for some new ones.

He loves the true life adventure/explorer kind of books and non fiction, with an occasional science fiction thrown in for fun. He recently read Farther than any Man by Martin Dugard, Path between the Seas by David McCullough and just before that he read Three cups of Tea which surprised me.

Biographies are ok sometimes too. He is an engineer so things have to be quite logical and practical for him to enjoy it.

Any new thoughts for me?? I can usually get any books from our library system, so please give me some new ideas for him to read over Christmas vacation.

Thanks!

Maneaters of Tsavo, the true story of the lions whose story is told in the movie Ghosts in the Darkness. The last third of the book is just about random hunting expeditions that sort of all sound alike, but the first 2/3rds is a very good read. The author is the hunter who killed them, but my version has a good introduction by Peter Capstick that helps put the story in context.

Endurance (can't recommend this highly enough) about Ernest Shackleford's ship getting caught in the ice at the South Pole in oh, about 1915ish.

This Voice in My Heart by the Tutsi survivor of genocide in Burundi.

Lonesome Dove--even I enjoyed this one, but reading men seem to love it.

I hated Into Thin Air (now why can't I underline that?) because of the scene where the guy who knows he's going to die is talking to his pregnant wife in Australia, but I'm in the minority on this one. Another book by the same author, which I did enjoy, is the one about the guy who dies in the Alaskan wilderness. The title escapes me just now (Into the Wilderness?), but a movie version came out in the last year or so.

Final recommendation: God Grew Tired of Us by John Dao, one of the lost boys of Sudan. There is a National Geographic documentary with the same title, but the book is much, much better and focuses more in his survival and his faith.

Hope that will get you started or at least bump this up enough for other suggestions.

Terri

... Another book by the same author, which I did enjoy, is the one about the guy who dies in the Alaskan wilderness. The title escapes me just now (Into the Wilderness?), but a movie version came out in the last year or so.

The one you're thinking of is Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I read it recently for my book group and found it a fascinating read.

One book my husband enjoyed/found informative this year was Out of Gas: The End of the Age of Oil by David Goodstein. He's also a big fan of the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. The first one is Master and Commander.

I also second the books by Bill Bryson that were mentioned above. He's an entertaining and informative writer.

Regards,

Kareni

Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Duggard. I really enjoyed this book -- very engagingly & well-written. Duggard has some other books, including one about Captain Cook that I would like to read. (Oops -- just realized this is the book your dh just finished reading, lol.)

1776 by David McCollough

Longtitude by Dava Sobel

Napoleon's Buttons by Penny Le Couteur (I haven't read this one yet, but got it to give my dh for Christmas.)

The Know-It-All by A.J. Jacobs

Salt by Mark Kurlansky

Freakonomics by Steven Levitt (my dh really enjoyed this one)

The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson

Edited by Stacia

True life/adventure and a little mystery? This is one my dh cannot put down and he is not what I call an avid reader for entertainment - only professional stuff.

"Over the Edge - Death in the Grand Canyon"

I glanced at it and I am reading it as soon as he is done. These are accounts of several experiences of hikers in the Grand Canyon, some of these stories do not end very well. Some hikers have disappeared altogether and the outcome is an educated guess/speculation. Seems well written and is captivating.