Menu

Secular 5th grade science without labs

Malam

I would also just go with a pile of books if you don't want labs.

You could also do something like Real Science Odyssey and just not do the labs. Though they're so integrated... Or you could do Guest Hollow maybe? It's secular and it's basically a glorified book list with a schedule and some video links and activities.

Here are a few sites with lists, but don't overlook your local library or even Amazon searches.

Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K–12 | NSTA (lists of winning titles going back to the 90s, scroll down the page to see older yrs)

Elementary Science (tripod.com)

High School Science (tripod.com)

nmoira's books | LibraryThing

For that age, I like the Scientists in the Field series, Jean Craighead George's nature books like her One Day in the Life of or her Moon series Jean Craighead George - Book Series In Order

Amazon.com: A View from the Oak: The Private Worlds of Other Creatures: 9781565846364: Kohl, Herbert R., Kohl, Judith, Bayless, Roger: Books

Edited by 8filltheheart

Evan Moor Daily Science is a really quick get-er-done program. Lots of facts and vocab, short worksheets, and a few scattered (optional) activities. You could throw in library books about the topics as you go and have a pretty complete program with structure and a bit of pre-designed output.

https://www.evan-moor.com/daily-science-grade-5-teacher's-edition-e-book

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time4Learning- all virtual labs; depending on your kiddos level, they could move straight to the middle school ones.

k12 as an independent- just skip the labs

Go to the library and let them browse shelves/dvds

Bookshark, as a list

Build Your Library, as a list

Memoria Press nature series in this order: Mammals, Astronomy, Insects, Birds, Trees

John Tiner books- use MP's listings. The books have short quizzes at the end of each chapter. My boys did all 7 in one school year at 3 chapters a week. Masterbooks has these as high school level. Excuse me while I wipe the tears of mirth away.

I'll give a second recommendation to the Evan moor daily science. It worked better than I could have imagined as a spine for science this last year for one of my kiddos. I just supplemented with some books from the library and some mystery science videos.

As another option, I'm signed up for Science Mom's chemistry series this fall for my older two (more your son's age). It looks great, and you can do the course for free on their website or join their chemistry club this fall and do a combination of livestreams and recorded videos. It's also secular. Here is the link: https://sciencemom.teachable.com/p/chemistry-club

Another vote for Science Mom. My kids took Biology 1 and 2 last year and loved it. We are also signed up for Chemistry Club in the fall. She has a free Earth Science curriculum as well, and I believe a couple units from Biology are free to watch on YouTube.

My youngest read a pile of Scientist in the Field books (easily 18 of them) and a handful of other books for zoology last year (5th grade). 🙂

Right now he's plowing through the earth science books in Build Your Library level 7. (Book lists are in the listings at buildyourlibrary.com.)

For 6th we'll be reading piles of books on evolution, prehistory, and astronomy. And some random Star Wars connections. 😄

Edited by SilverMoon

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 3:45 PM, Malam said:

Besides the GH booklist, does anyone know anywhere else I can find lists of living books for this age range?

Build Your Library has several unit studies that are science based - Prehistory, Evolution, Sharks are I think the ones that are science based but there may be more. All could be beefed WAY up with lots of extra books. 

We are doing the Prehistory unit and adding in books and videos from the Blossom and Root Pre-History unit study as well to make it more of a semester(ish) long course. 

• Like 1